Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Should Shazam be taken place on its own separate Earth again ?

Remember when DC brought the rights to Shazam and its world...it was on its own Earth with its own history and heroes.

What if as a consequence of the whole DC mess...that DC brings Shazam/Earth-5 back and makes that world the primary world for all things Shazam, and yes that includes the new 52 reboot of the character and not have him involved with the Justice League ?

As fans of the Shazam family: What do you think of this ?

BANNED

What purpose would it serve?

For one thing, it would stop him from being overshadowed by Superman. He's supposed to be the World's Mightest Mortal but that just won't ever happen sharing the stage with Superman. In DC Supes is the mightiest hero (deservedly). It'd fix that issue in a heartbeat.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Both!
    If they want to do a more whimsical cartoony nostalgic like the old Fawcett version, yes give it it's own universe, could be fun! (See Multiversity one shot, 'Thunderworld' by Grant Morrison, and Cameron Stewart

...or Parker & Evan "Doc" Shaner's convergence SHAZAM for great examples),

I would follow either of those great setups into an ongoing.

However there should also absolutely be an ongoing SHAZAM presence in the main DCU. Which we have and it's great! And they've well established him in his own city where they can and will develop his corner of the shared DCU. With plenty of moments for meetings with the other lead heroes, which characters need to survive, long term.

That said SHAZAM! (Billy) shouldn't be an after thought joiner to the already established Justice League, playing second to and answering to Superman and worse Batman.
    Aside from the SHAZAMILY with whom he shares power,
    He should also be forming and leading his own team of the other unique Fawcett heroes. That DC neglects.
    Upgrades of Shazam's Squadron of Justice/Fawcett City Crusaders- https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post3617467
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-14-2019 at 01:01 PM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I've always liked the Pre-COIE setup of Earth-S wherein Captain Marvel could be the unrivaled World's Mightiest Mortal. At the same time, access to Prime-Earth (or whatever it's called these days) should not be inconvenient.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Since I hate the multiverse, my answer is no. There should only be one Earth.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

At first, I was going to say no, but since I like the multiple-earths stories, yes!

No, Shazam should exist on the main earth. Sticking him on his own earth wouldn't serve any real purpose because they'll inevitably end up back on the main earth.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Incredible Member

Honestly especially seeing him so intrinsically tied into DCU in comics, cartoons and eventually the movie he has coming up: He definitely should stay as a member of the DCU, his interacions really could be a fun balance between both the adult heroes and the younger members and the branch between Fawcett heroes and the DCU. Plus there could be multiverse stories with him standing on his own.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    For one thing, it would stop him from being overshadowed by Superman. He's supposed to be the World's Mightest Mortal but that just won't ever happen sharing the stage with Superman. In DC Supes is the mightiest hero (deservedly). It'd fix that issue in a heartbeat.
    Yep. If he was on the main Earth, he wouldn't have second place either. Wonder Woman overshadows him as well, as she should.
    If he's on his own Earth, he doesn't have to worry about catering to either of their franchise's needs. And since the main Earth already has the Superman archetype, what need is there for Shazam/Captain Marvel to occupy the same space?

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    No, Shazam should exist on the main earth. Sticking him on his own earth wouldn't serve any real purpose because they'll inevitably end up back on the main earth.
    They need to get rid of the tendency to move everyone to the main Earth, then it wouldn't be inevitable.

Same with the JSA. It's not an accurate reflection of DC's history the earlier we go. Clutter Earth will never go away unfortunately, but I wish it would.

Spectacular Member

captain marvel is already on earth 5.

I would really love to see Captain Marvel back on his own Earth. On the main dc Earth he is overshadowed by Superman, Wonder Woman and even at times Batman. On his Earth he can go back to being the mightiest mortal the way he should be. You could still have him cross over from time to time.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

He's better served in his own universe. But, we're only 1 issue into his new series, so it would be unwise to flip the table any time soon. Once Doomsday Clock is done, DC needs stability.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    He's better served in his own universe. But, we're only 1 issue into his new series, so it would be unwise to flip the table any time soon. Once Doomsday Clock is done, DC needs stability.
    I don't think it would take anything drastic. None of the other heroes appeared in the New 52 story, and while we had a mention of Superman in the first issue, that's pretty much it. Not that I expect them to, but they could decide this is all on Earth-5 and leave Billy and co in their own corner.

None of his New 52 JL appearances strike me as necessary reading, and if he won't be on the JL again any time soon, no big loss.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Remember when DC brought the rights to Shazam and its world...it was on its own Earth with its own history and heroes.

What if as a consequence of the whole DC mess...that DC brings Shazam/Earth-5 back and makes that world the primary world for all things Shazam, and yes that includes the new 52 reboot of the character and not have him involved with the Justice League ?

As fans of the Shazam family: What do you think of this ?
    There's already a separate Earth for "SHAZAM!"; it's called "Earth-5", and that's where the classic Marvel Family thrive. And, I would love to see some adventures featuring the Marvel Family, so long as I can read about the adventures of the "Shazam Family". So...why not have both?