Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Default Fabian Nicieza confirms Iceman was meant to be gay as far back as the 90’s

Per Fabian Nicieza’s Twitter, while dealing with some homophobic Comicsgaters.
    523D9F16-6E9E-4A47-911B-84DD4983A135.jpg
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Lots of people were shocked by the retcon like it or not

Doesn't make everyone who was shocked a homophobe or a "gater" of any sort

Obviously some people's reactions to it are extreme over the top vicious etc and those people actually are homophobes/"gaters" etc

But just finding the thing perplexing or sudden is pretty natural imo

Not saying that NOONE in the world got "gay" vibes off Iceman in the past or that people thought "hey what if..." etc

But it was NOT some kind of overwhelming consensus, that's revisionist history

Got to separate out these two concepts: 1) Do I personally like that Iceman is gay? vs. 2) Was he written as a gay character?

Those *might not have the same answer* and they don't have to.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

I'm sorry but someone chiming in about a development after the point trying to make a claim of "what was supposed to be years ago" doesn't really hold much water. Not only can statements be said about a lot of things especially given the nature of comic book readers (people questioning the relationship between Steve and Bucky anybody?) but the fact that nothing was done in that regard until a retcon that came out of the blue in a story that had nothing to do with the character, the statement is of little value. Remember when Wolverine was "supposed" to be a literal evolved Wolverine? Yea, in spite of intention, nothing was done about it and the character's history marched on.

I also have confirmation from Lobdell, when speaking to him years ago at a Con. He said he was writing Iceman as a closeted homosexual man, and the entire issue with him and Rogue at his parents was about that. Bobby dealing with his own internalized homophobia, as well as that of his father. Some people can read into the subtext, some people can’t.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

BANNED

Next thing we know, Lockheed was a man cursed to become a dragon at night until the curse became permanent. Or Cyclops was always meant to be black, but the colorists kept screwing up.

Apart from that, more power to them, I suppose. I dislike this whole Comicsgate thing enough for any opposition to them not bother me at all.

Mighty Member

Honestly, I want people to stop calling it "Comicsgate" because there was no central inciting incident; it's just an ongoing flame war or movement at most.

Incredible Member

Wow, I'm surprised at this. I mean both Lobdell and Nicieza confirming it. I saw online chatter about it on the net 20 years ago. I wouldn't call it widespread either, a few people. But I never thought it was in the minds of the writers. As a reader, I never saw it. I guess you learn something new every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I also have confirmation from Lobdell, when speaking to him years ago at a Con. He said he was writing Iceman as a closeted homosexual man, and the entire issue with him and Rogue at his parents was about that. Bobby dealing with his own internalized homophobia, as well as that of his father. Some people can read into the subtext, some people can’t.
    And regardless of writer intention, the fact that he went nowhere with it renders it pretty much moot especially when it's coming from a series where the entire race can be seen as a metaphor for any kind of minority. Mutant hate being a metaphor for racism/homophobia/etc. If he wanted Iceman gay, he could have done so. Just look at Northstar who was openly gay longer than that. The fact that he did nothing but put subtext that the majority of people don't lead into especially given the nature of comics, characterization marches on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    And regardless of writer intention, the fact that he went nowhere with it renders it pretty much moot especially when it's coming from a series where the entire race can be seen as a metaphor for any kind of minority. Mutant hate being a metaphor for racism/homophobia/etc. If he wanted Iceman gay, he could have done so. Just look at Northstar who was openly gay longer than that. The fact that he did nothing but put subtext that the majority of people don't lead into especially given the nature of comics, characterization marches on.
    And yet enough people, including Bendis, read the subtext for what it was meant to represent. A closeted homosexual man, and he just confirmed it, after years of hints and subtext and innuendo. The same thing was said regarding Rictor and Shatterstar, yet Peter David was intelligent enough to read the coded language and how their relationship was portrayed.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    And yet enough people, including Bendis, read the subtext for what it was meant to represent. A closeted homosexual man, and he just confirmed it, after years of hints and subtext and innuendo. The same thing was said regarding Rictor and Shatterstar, yet Peter David was intelligent enough to read the coded language and how their relationship was portrayed.
    Bendis literally started out writing Bobby as straight (which it shows in his writing of the character and how the retcon came out of nowhere in regards to young Bobby's portrayal) and flat out said that it was readers who convinced him so Bendis himself didn't read into the subtext, people talking to him on social media who represented the minority of readers did.

Astonishing Member

If you want more recent during the (what was the period with havoc and nurse ana called again) there was some hint they wanted him a north star together. The big problem was how he was outed. Bendis used young ice man(we still didn't know if the o5 were actually from the past at this point) I a scene that became a meme and could be read as Jean turning him gay. All of this happen right before secret wars with no one knowing if it would be retconned away or not, and the first time the adult Bobby was involved with this was pushed back a year and was done in 3 pages. If they wanted to do it right I should have been the adult Bobby and have more then a grand total of 5 pages dedicated to it.

It doesn’t surprise me that this was a conversation at Marvel creative for YEARS. Bobby’s stories have always been the most mundane and introspective, despite having a deep well of friendships and notoriety.

I’m ready for an MCU Iceman movie. The villain should be his faither, and he should defeat him with warmth.

Hire Jon Lovett and Hannah Gadsby to punch up a Hickman script.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Bendis literally started out writing Bobby as straight (which it shows in his writing of the character and how the retcon came out of nowhere in regards to young Bobby's portrayal) and flat out said that it was readers who convinced him so Bendis himself didn't read into the subtext, people talking to him on social media who represented the minority of readers did.
    Except in this article he states that Iceman being gay was obvious. He also stated that people on tumblr providing 50 years worth of proof that he was a closeted gay man helped him decide that having him come out was the best thing to do.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr...story-yet/amp/
    30D4C349-6E21-4939-B1E9-D90FDFC4DF0F.jpg
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 12-31-2018 at 06:08 PM.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

Mighty Member

If Bendis would write an outing without having it drip unfortunate implications, I'd be fine, but the fact of the matter is that he wrote that entire scene by dismissing the existence of the bisexual community by just having Jeen state that "Everyone is bi."

Sorry the only opinion that matters is Marvel,creators come along saying a character was meant to be something does not matter. Claremont or whatever other writers intended for Kitty doesn't matter she dates guys in the comics, Whatever it is Yost intended for X-23 she still dates only guys, Whatever Rob Liefield intended for Shatterstar and Rictor doesn't matter because Marvel went in a other direction. I would 100% percent bet that Stan Lee never intended for Iceman to be gay but it does not matter because Marvel owns Iceman not Stan Lee. Until it hits the page does not matter and when it does it is canon. Iceman is gay
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-31-2018 at 07:01 PM.