Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Reading Action Comics 1000 and one thing bugs me.

Superman is standing over his Ma's grave. He's apparently immortal which I'll buy, Lois is immortal which I'll buy. Its been 4 billion years. What?

I don't buy this. Ma kent's gravestone is still there after 4 billion years? That would have weathered away so very long ago its not even funny. Did Superman keep replacing Ma's grave? I mean her remains would have long long since deteriorated away to the last speck billions of years ago. Superman would essentially be swapping out an empty box in that spot to keep something there to visit his "Ma." Did they invent weather proof stone? I guess with 4 billion years they could have. Maybe they found a way to preserve and restore Ma Kent's corpse. I'm sure wherever Ma Kent's spirit rests now, she really appreciates that.

Its just absurd. 4 billion years and there's still a grave and Superman still visits it. Get over your Ma's death already. I'd miss my Ma too but I'd get over it after 4 billion years. I'd have probably forgotten almost everything about her by then. Sadly.

I also notice he talks about Lois and his Son Jon. He doesn't talk about grandkids or great grandkids. Or frankly the entire worlds of his progeny that should exist after 4 billion years. One kid, no further descendants. Thats it. I guess people stopped reproducing after they became immortal?
    Last edited by KingDragonlord; 01-14-2019 at 11:35 AM.

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by KingDragonlord View Post
    Superman is standing over his Ma's grave. He's apparently immortal which I'll buy, Lois is immortal which I'll buy. Its been 4 billion years. What?

I don't buy this. Ma kent's gravestone is still there after 4 billion years? That would have weathered away so very long ago its not even funny. Did Superman keep replacing Ma's grave? I mean her remains would have long long since deteriorated away to the last speck billions of years ago. Superman would essentially be swapping out an empty box in that spot to keep something there to visit his "Ma." Did they invent weather proof stone? I guess with 4 billion years they could have. Maybe they found a way to preserve and restore Ma Kent's corpse. I'm sure wherever Ma Kent's spirit rests now, she really appreciates that.

Its just absurd. 4 billion years and there's still a grave and Superman still visits it. Get over your Ma's death already. I'd miss my Ma too but I'd get over it after 4 billion years. I'd have probably forgotten almost everything about her by then. Sadly.
    Considering Superman does the impossible on a regular basis, it wouldn't be out of the question for him to do the things you said. Superman is obviously attempting to move on from his parents' death and only now does he realize what he is doing is not really working for him. You might say it is not healthy, but by that point, that grave was the only thing that reminded Superman of his parents. And when that grave and the entire planet are gone, only the memories remain, and for Superman, that's enough.

Astonishing Member

I recall seeing as scan from the early days that showed initially the explanation for why Superman's suit was indestructible was because he invented a solution that made it harder than diamond while keeping it's flexibility. Being a scientist/engineer is something writers like to play around with, it's probable in that story he invented some kind of mineral or polymer that's capable of surviving 4 billion years of natural weathering.

As for his mom and pop. I'd figure it's because the sharpness of his memory doesn't really allow his memories of his parents to just fade.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I don't buy this. Ma kent's gravestone is still there after 4 billion years? That would have weathered away so very long ago its not even funny. Did Superman keep replacing Ma's grave?
    Doesn't the story say that he visited yearly. And if grape flavored immortality formulas are possible for Superman, then I don't see why super weatherproofing graves/memorials (it's more of a memorial than grave from what I remember) seems like the smallest leap here, ya know?

One kid, no further descendants. Thats it. I guess people stopped reproducing after they became immortal?
    If I had to take a stab, I'd say King was more interested in grounding this fantastic setting with characters and ideas that we recognize, and only just hinting at how truly alien this world would be (Lois' new job, the cosmic wars Superman has fought, and the fact that he physically could've pushed the Earth by that point even under a red sun). So, the story focused just on Clark, Lois, Jon, Ma, Pa, and the Earth. Leaving it so just about anyone could pick this up with only a baseline understanding of Superman currently and not feel too lost or bewildered by the info dumb. My guess anyways.

Get over your Ma's death already. I'd miss my Ma too but I'd get over it after 4 billion years.
    You kind of just described the whole point of the story here.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 01-14-2019 at 11:55 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Doesn't the story say that he visited yearly. And if grape flavored immortality formulas are possible for Superman, then I don't see why super weatherproofing graves/memorials (it's more of a memorial than grave from what I remember) seems like the smallest leap here, ya know?

If I had to take a stab, I'd say King was more interested in grounding this fantastic setting with characters and ideas that we recognize, and only just hinting at how truly alien this world would be (Lois' new job, the cosmic wars Superman has fought, and the fact that he physically could've pushed the Earth by that point even under a red sun). So, the story focused just on Clark, Lois, Jon, Ma, Pa, and the Earth. Leaving it so just about anyone could pick this up with only a baseline understanding of Superman currently and not feel too lost or bewildered by the info dumb. My guess anyways.

You kind of just described the whole point of the story here.
    Yeah but 4 billion years and he still isn't over his mother's death? I mean I get that he's moving on now but I'd think after the first billion years he'd have gotten over his mom being dead and moved on. The first million even.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I didn't see Action #1000 as being canon, personally. I think people read way too much into it. I think it was just a collection of fun short stories where creators could just do whatever they wanted. The Mxy story, for instance, reads as a kind of fun SA adventure. In terms of her grave, it's possible he made it out of an indestructible metal. We're talking comics after all. Lois drinks a grape flavored immortality formula. How realistic can it be?
    Assassinate Putin!

With the exception of Bendis’, I don’t think any of those stories are meant to be read for plot points. They were imaginary stories to just get at various writers takes and impressions on Superman.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Yeah but 4 billion years and he still isn't over his mother's death? I mean I get that he's moving on now but I'd think after the first billion years he'd have gotten over his mom being dead and moved on. The first million even.
    Not just his mom and dad's death (Pa's dead too btw) but also the Earth's death. It's symbolic. He hung onto the memorial devoid of life just as he hung onto the now lifeless planet (Earthlings had left Earth long ago in that story), and the story was about getting over the last physical embodiment of nostalgia from yesterday. Earth and Ma and Pa were the catalyst for what the Earthlings became and what Clark became. This was him saying thank you, but also that he has to stop living in the past.

I'd say Clark has been over the death of his parents for quite a while, but, as I said above, it was accepting the death of the husk of a world that used to be Earth.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Spectacular Member

Also, Lois and Superman have been married for 4 billion years without a divorce? There have to have been separation periods.

Just, when you put a number as big as 4 billion in there, you have to start thinking about these things. Even Superman couldn't possibly be that faithful. And Lois sure as hell wouldn't be. She's just human.

Again, this isn’t supposed to be the canon future of Superman. It was King’s statement on letting go of the past and moving forward.

You’re supposed to read these for the forest, not the trees.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Again, this isn’t supposed to be the canon future of Superman. It was King’s statement on letting go of the past and moving forward.

Then maybe he shouldn't have set it 4 billion years in the future. Maybe a thousand years in the future would have been enough.

Master Hero Vladimir

Also, Lois and Superman have been married for 4 billion years without a divorce? There have to have been separation periods.

Just, when you put a number as big as 4 billion in there, you have to start thinking about these things. Even Superman couldn't possibly be that faithful. And Lois sure as hell wouldn't be. She's just human.
    That's the beauty of fiction.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post

King's best stories are usually of the "vague happy ending" variety. It's why I'm still convinced Bruce and Selina will marry despite Batman#50 because of that flash forward he wrote. He was pretty ambiguous and never had it outright contradict anything (except obviously Batman Beyond)

Way to throw Lois and Clark under the bus. The Griffins and The Simpsons they ain't.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 01-14-2019 at 02:20 PM.

BANNED

e
    With all due respect, this is way too cynical of an attitude about life, love and everything Superman stands for. You are applying your cynical lens about marriage, fidelity and love to SUPERMAN and that's always going to be a wasted exercise because he's not you. He's not the average guy who might grow tired of his life over time.

When Grant Morrison infamously wrote "I love you Lois Lane until the end of time"---he MEANT it. This is a story about a man who shoots fire from his eyes and can fly for God's sake. Everything about him is fantastical and incredible. If you can accept that Clark Kent can shoot fire from his freaking eyes then you should also be able to let go of your own cynical views long enough to accept that he's also capable of fidelity and devotion beyond your understanding.

Crapping all over it with "he couldn't possibly be faithful" couldn't miss the point harder about who Superman is and who is will always be. No....maybe YOU couldn't possibly be faithful. Superman is a literal term. SUPER-MAN. He's a super man. He can and will be faithful to her. He can and will love her until the end of time. And as for Lois, I don't imagine she would have much need to not be faithful to him either. When a man treats you that well, you don't have any reason to leave.

The only thing that needs to be left here is the cynicism. It's out of place when talking about Superman. And, further, out of place when talking about Superman and Lois Lane as a concept and a couple. This isn't supposed to be an ordinary love. It's supposed to be until the end of time. Is it a fairy tale? Yes. Is it fantastical? Of course. BUT IT IS A STORY ABOUT A MAN WHO CAN FLY WHO SHOOTS FIRE FROM HIS EYES. THAT IS THE POINT.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

She probably spent 16 million years running tabloids out of a Bakerline motel
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES