Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Superman #7 Preview

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/books/s...s-for-superboy

You knew it would come from somewhere, and you probably knew it would come from me, so I'll just say it now:

I like this. I like this quite a bit. Very good chance I like this better than anything that's been done with him since his introduction. Teen Jon calling Superman Pa? Works. Teen Jon still with some childlike idiosyncrasies? Works. Jon and Clark interaction? Works. The potential sadness we'll get from Clark and Lois, especially Lois, over losing some of their sons years? Intriguing. I just like it.

Only thing that felt off was "boy". The rest of Lois is fine but there always seems to be one "Huh?" moment with her.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-14-2019 at 01:06 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

I'm glad we're getting Lois' reaction, I was worried they'd keep her relegated to just Action. Good continuity between the books too with her still in "horny mom" mode...until the mood changes (and becomes awkward) when Jon peers over Clark's shoulder.

I agree, she should have said "My Little Boy" and not the Homer Simpson-esque "Boy"

Last edited by Miles To Go; 01-14-2019 at 01:10 PM.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Only thing that felt off was "boy".
    Bendis probably played God of War too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I agree, she should have said "My Little Boy" and not the Homer Simpson-esque "Boy”
    That’s kinda a Bendis quirk isn’t it. She’s probably meant to be saying “my boy” or something but the shock of it has her having trouble getting a full thought out.

Jon definitely has a scar. Right cheek (his right). Can't recall if that's the same spot it was in on that early leaked sketch.

I liked how both Superman and Lois immediately go to a weird colored kryptonite as the culprit in their heads. One of those subtle tastes into how weird their life is being shown.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-14-2019 at 01:15 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

So, what are they going to do with jon anyway. Since the family seems to have excepted the change. Jon seems to be accepted it. Clark and Lois are ok with it.
    A reboot jon does not have anything to build on, i don't think anything in his past will ever be mentioned again or seen again. I doubt aged up jon is sustainable. As kid, there is precedence to sustainability of such characters.
    If he is going to be a titan, then i hope it is not the current one. I will have to wait and see whether i like this jon. If he turns out be warrior like character then maybe. It will be major turn of to see clark as mentor to 17 year old war veteran. So i hope they don't do that. And have jon move out.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-14-2019 at 02:48 PM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I'm glad this is the approach Bendis is taking with this storyline, immediately show that Jon is still a good guy. Though I'm not looking forward to the emotion Clark and Lois will be going through knowing they missed years of Jon's life. So excited for these flashbacks and to see just how insane Jor-El is.

I'm not so sure he's going to be all that bad. Eccentric yes, but I don't want him to be played off as an insane tool. Someone whom certainly has gone the rounds with Jon in their time together and don't always see eye to eye but not someone whom Jon can't stand. At least that's the way I'd vastly prefer it to play out. Jor-El still alive in current continuity isn't something I prefer, but as long as he I strongly hope he defaults more to a protagonist role and not an antagonist. And particularly that Superman himself will ease up on an obvious anger toward him at first over all this.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-14-2019 at 02:46 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I don't know why he'd guess blue or gold kryptonite instead of red and I hope Jon won't say pa like seven times in a few pages, but the transformation did seem like the good kind of wait and see.

Can't wait until he goes Double Dragon with Kon.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

The exchange between Lois, Jon, and Clark was fantastic. Really enjoyed seeing that Jon's voice while seeming to be a bit calmer and at times more direct, he's still a bit of a goof, and he cares just as deeply for his folks as before. "Pa" was a nice touch I thought.

But I think my favorite part is the fact that this is the long awaited reunion of these three characters, and all three of them have these stories all there own following behind and waiting to converge and diverge.

It should probably be pointed out that Jon may have actually been on his own for a fair amount of time during his travels--be it on Earth-3 (most likely) or out in space. I can't wait to get whatever information on that possible the the coming arc.

It also appears that Jor-El didn't make it back with his grandson, and in issue 6 Clark settled on the idea that Jor-El may have quite a few of the answers, so after this flashback arc are we getting some sort of locate Jor-El? Whatever Jon needs help with is likely involving him, and possibly coming to Earth, so maybe it will basically force Clark to go out looking with Jon even with his many jobs on Earth?

Jon's suit also "moves" way better than I thought it would. Not jazzed about the whole 17 thing, but I appreciate that I'm really not supposed to be. In this context it'd be like being happy about Barbra about paralyzed. I also liked that Bendis remembered he floated around the idea of Kryptonian puberty. Lois even seemed like she'd be more cool with it if it were just that. I was worried that idea would be forgotten, but that seemed to be an in story red herring that allowed readers to rationalize a an explanation for Jon's growth that wasn't the more permanent and tragic option of lost time.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

So now this will be The Super-Waltons, a family headed by Pa Clark and centered around the future of Jon-Boy Kent?

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I also really wanna see Jon pop his head into Action Comics too, be it via the gossip angle or checking in on his mom and dad's work. I think it's almost always fun when a cosmic character pops there head into a street level stuff for a cameo, and given where he's likely at with outlook-wise, Jon is, relatively speaking, more of a cosmic character than even Clark. 7 years of a 17 years of life spent out in space or in other dimensions.

Also, this preview seems to hint very heavily at the idea that Bendis is in fact employing one of my favorite storytelling techniques of his: characters sitting down while one of them tells the rest a story. And given Jon's vernacular is still relaxed and fun, we'll get a story teller with personality. I really, really hope Bendis has Lois and Clark interject at parts they'd have comments on, and make use of cutaways to the present. It's a a great transitional tool for flow, and a great way to inject character.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

He's rockin Prime armor. Or at least the top part.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I also really wanna see Jon pop his head into Action Comics too, be it via the gossip angle or checking in on his mom and dad's work. I think it's almost always fun when a cosmic character pops there head into a street level stuff for a cameo, and given where he's likely at with outlook-wise, Jon is, relatively speaking, more of a cosmic character than even Clark. 7 years of a 17 years of life spent out in space or in other dimensions.
    I expect someone's going to walk in on them given they moved the reunion from Lois's room to the rooftop bar. So more fodder for Trish.

Very interesting observation. I mean it could be just an inoccuous change of scenery but it is suspicious at the same time factoring in the seed Bendis already laid. Why not just leave this scene to take place in the bedroom/office? If someone snaps a picture of this, all hell should break loose. I mean, I figure by now the general populace knows of another Superboy. But they're not going to know for decent reason that this is the same kid, and I don't think any story has made any public connection between Superboy and Lois Lane yet. So who is the 17 year old with an S on his chest and whom has never been seen before and why?
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-14-2019 at 04:36 PM.