View Poll Results: Which is better currently, Batman or Detective Comics?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Batman

13 36.11%
  • Detective Comics

22 61.11%
  • I like both equally currently

1 2.78%

Default 30 day poll: Which is better currently, Batman or Detective Comics

Did this back in September and the results were a split between the 2 basically.

So let's do it again for 30 days!

Which is a better series currently, Batman or Detective?

Subjective, Yes

Temporary, Of Course

But let's try anyway!

I always like Tomasi's understanding of heroes, but his stories and their executions often leave me lukewarm.

King's Batman run has not been the classic run that I was hoping it to be, but has been consistently interesting at least.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Detective easily. I've enjoyed the last two issues more than I have any of King's whole run on a consecutive basis so far. Reading both at the same time is fascinating though since Tomasi and King could not be more different as writers. King is really only concerned about his plot and themes, his characters usually only acting as props or mouthpieces for those things. Which is why he has such a poor handle on characterization. Even his story logic often takes a backseat to whatever idea he's trying to get across. Tomsai on the other hand is primarily concerned with characterization over anything else. He's not really out to tell a big, grand ambitious story or explore a super deep idea that will change whoever he's writing forever. His stories often are more vechicals to explore realtionships and further build upon who he's writing. Dectective just feels like a Batman book, while ironically, Batman hasn't in a long time. So the choice isn't hard.
    Last edited by Batknight; 01-14-2019 at 08:32 PM.

BANNED

There's no fourth choice for "Both Suck."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    There's no fourth choice for "Both Suck."
    Damn, i was going to post this. Poll needs a 4th choice.

Astonishing Member

DC and Tomasi get my vote.

Fantastic Member

Detective is way better Tomasi understands the characters more than king ever will. If the story does not fit the characters then do not do it. It is as simple as that but King never has figured that out

Quote Originally Posted by nonsense man View Post
    Detective is way better Tomasi understands the characters more than king ever will. If the story does not fit the characters then do not do it. It is as simple as that but King never has figured that out
    I think along with the better writing, I've just really enjoyed more of the "bat family" being involved with Detective.

I currently prefer Detective Comics.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

Batman by a mile. Tomasi is bland and I don't get the feeling there's anything behind the stories. He's a competent, professional writer who has good technical skills but he seems hollow to me. I think he's fine, very safe, standard and not challenging. I don't think there's anything wrong with the way he writes, and at a different point of my life I may have found him comforting and liked him for nostalgic reasons. But currently I'm looking for a little more meat on the bones and I don't find it with Tomasi.