Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Default The "It wasn't as bad as people said it was" thread.

Can be a movie or TV show that you didn't hear anything good about, but after seeing it you kinda liked it.

Peppermint. With a 12% on RT and a 29% on Metacritic I was not expecting much from this Jennifer Garner film, but I have always been a sucker for a good revenge story so I gave it a shot. I actually liked it quite a bit. Sure there were some dumb moments here and there, but overall a very enjoyable flick. Plus it was nice seeing Garner doing some action again after so many years since Alias ended.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Can be a movie or TV show that you didn't hear anything good about, but after seeing it you kinda liked it.

Peppermint. With a 12% on RT and a 29% on Metacritic I was not expecting much from this Jennifer Garner film, but I have always been a sucker for a good revenge story so I gave it a shot. I actually liked it quite a bit. Sure there were some dumb moments here and there, but overall a very enjoyable flick. Plus it was nice seeing Garner doing some action again after so many years since Alias ended.
    The Phantom Menace.

Always.
    Last edited by AJBopp; 01-14-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Empty is thy hand!

The Star Wars prequels. Lucas overestimated the audience's ability to navigate anything with nuance.

BANNED

X-Men Apocalupse was way better than the review were leading me to believe.

BANNED

Netflix Iron Fist

I'd read for years on these boards how awful it was. I recently resubscribed to Netflix and decided to give it a go not expecting to make it past the second episode. Imagine my surprise to discover it was the best of the lot.

I thought Phantom Menace was a lot better than some people give credit at the time. Maybe because the original trilogy left such a high bar, but I thought people were surprisngly critical of it.

good grief people came into this thread swinging.

Might as well throw Soul Plane and Kung Pow Enter the Fist in here
    The J-man

Fantastic Four(2015)

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Fantastic Four(2015)
    I'll 2ed this.

Fantastic Four(2015)
    This was actually a solid movie until they faced the thing they called Dr Doom in the movie, It was pretty movie good until they came back after the accident. I get why someone can like it.

Spectacular Member

Fantastic Four(2015)
    This was a decent sci-fi movie that got a bad superhero movie tacked on to the end of it. No idea if the original version was any good, but the first two-thirds of this movie suggest that it would've been better.

On Ghostbusters: ATC ...

The extended cut is wonderful and addresses most of people's issues with the film. Some of the jokes are better here than in the theatrical but some are not. I really wish they used the extended cut instead of the theatrical.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayneJr. View Post
    The Star Wars prequels. Lucas overestimated the audience's ability to navigate anything with nuance.
    I agree with this. Don't get me wrong. The original trilogy (4, 5 and 6) are my favorites by far. But the complaints I usually hear about the prequels amount to little more than "We already know what's going to happen", "I hate the whole idea of the midichlorians because they weren't mentioned in the original", "The CGI wasn't perfected yet", "The actors that were cast were not how I pictured young Anakin", "I wish someone would kill young Anakin right now before he grows up to murder millions", which is just a variation on, "We already know what's going to happen".

In fact, I suspect that if a young person were to watch the Star Wars movies in numerical order, having never seen them before, they would say something like, "Wow, episodes 1, 2 and 3 have these complex plots with nuances and characters that are deep and have real reasons for who they are. Then 4 suddenly gives us this simplistic plot with black and white characters that are just the good guys and the bad guys. What happened? Did Lucas suddenly go brain dead and couldn't come up with a real story?"

Of course, this is because 4 was always meant to be watched first and the plots and characters grow more complex as the story progressed through 5, 6, 1, 2 and 3.

In fact, this is a great time for this thread because I had never seen "Solo" or episodes 7 and 8. But "Solo" just went up on Netflix and I watched it a couple of days ago. "The Last Jedi" also went up onto Netflix. I haven't watched it yet but I watched "The Force Awakens".

I didn't think "Solo" was some ultimate, great origin for Han Solo but it certainly was a decent, entertaining movie. I really don't get why it did so poorly other than maybe that it came out against some tough competition or something.

I found "The Force Awakens" to be very derivative of "A New Hope" but also that it introduced some cool ideas of it's own. I totally don't get the criticisms of the character, Rey. Other than maybe that she's a new character and how dare she be really the main character. Again, a good, entertaining movie. Certainly not the best Star Wars movie. But still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1NjmlC_ZZk

Oh and "Rogue One" which I saw some time ago. Again, a movie that didn't do well at the box office but I personally found it the most moving and best of all the Star Wars movies.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 01-15-2019 at 08:56 AM.
    Power with Girl is better.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I largely agree with what's been said here about Batman Forever, and the Star Wars prequel trilogy.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

What i like in the Star Wars prequel is that Lucas did work on them. It wasn't the same story retold with different characters (looking at you episode VII), it was something really different in the same universe, and in that regard, it was bold, even though not everything worked.