Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Naww, lol. That 35% is from white people, The Five Heartbeats is the black Rocky Horror Picture Show. I've never been a huge Robert Townsend fan but this is his best work (I'm more team The Temptations NBC released). I've actually never even sat through the whole thing but best believe there are scores of black folks, including my wife, who know it word for word. I would like to see the documentary he produced last year that should be released in the spring I believe.

I've always been a Superman 3 stan. It's not bad but it ain't as good as the high bar of the previous two. It probably disqualifies me cause I saw it at the theater and didn't come across it later. With a topic like this there is always "yea but A only because B was much worse" but I guess that shouldn't qualify an argument.
    The temptations was an better movie for me for one reason the actor playing Paul's rendition of For once in my life. You felt the pain in his voice and Blue reaction to Paul's singing. Man that scene was just amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Genius View Post
    This was just really boring and bland, not terrible. I'd almost prefer if it was bad so I could react to it in some kind of way to it.
    I enjoyed the Green Lantern movie and was surprised by all the negative reaction to it. But to be honest I don't really know much about Green Lantern so I wasn't really expecting it to be anything more than a superhero movie.
    In that regard it succeeded for me. I guess for fans of Green Lantern if the movie got things wrong I could maybe see why they were upset. I didn't like Man of Steel because for me they got Superman wrong. But for a random
    superhero I didn't know anything about ahead of time I guess MoS would have been okay.

The Postman
    Solo
    XMen Age of Apocalypse

Invincible Member

My vote is for The Last Jedi.

I think part of the dismissal of the film was from nerd-rage, "It's slightly different from how I remember as a child! This is an insult!" And part of it was culture war stuff, "Women doing things! The SJWs have gone too far!"

Extraordinary Member

Fantastic Four 2, Rise of the Silver Surfer.

I gave them a lot of credit for putting a credible Silver Surfer on screen, sure they didn't even try to get Galactus right, but as I thought that was impossible at the time I didn't blame them for NOT trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    The temptations was an better movie for me for one reason the actor playing Paul's rendition of For once in my life. You felt the pain in his voice and Blue reaction to Paul's singing. Man that scene was just amazing.
    Aw man, Paul had it rough, his voice was cracking behind all that drink. When he was trying show them he still could do the steps, he was like, 'uh, uh, step' and then stumbled.
    Love that movie, Blue was like 'stop'. Movies like that I feel have fell between the cracks in the streaming landscape. Maybe I need to check NBC's service.

The quality and use of the Temptations music alone puts it a above Five Heartbeats.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
    The Postman
    I wouldn't go so far as to say The Postman was good in my opinion, but watching the movie did at least make the premise not as absurd as it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    My vote is for The Last Jedi.
    Only half the audience didn't like the movie. The other half did, and so did the critics. Because of how the internet expresses disappointment, the negative reaction to the movie seems a lot bigger than it actually is. (Nevermind Russian bots were apparently signal boosting that mess.)

Last Jedi: I wouldn't call it great by any means, but I didn't feel cheated by the price of admission, and I never got the rage online.

Speed Racer: This one was a awhile back but pretty sure it bombed. I recall this being a movie where the advertisements let it down extremely by portraying it as overly kiddy. Was actually pretty fun send up to the original series.

Last Action Hero: I think this one might have bombed, but again this was over two decades ago. I still like the movie within a movie concept and Arnold basically taking shots himself and the action movie industry.

Suicide Squad: I really though it was serviceable, didn't see it in theaters, but it was far less of the disaster I was expecting. The worst thing I can say about it are most of the characters are pointless, but the ones that actually get some development are fine.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Finally saw "The Last Jedi". I liked it overall. Yes it had it's bad moments but overall made up for that.

Inconsistencies? Yes. Leia suddenly being that powerful in the Force but only for one scene? Cool but not believable. Arguable whether Luke could sink to such depths after 30 years. Unlike Vader, he blamed himself for Kylo Ren. I loved the little trick he pulled at the end and how it strained him too much. I've read articles about how Luke is the guy who never gave up on anybody and believed anyone could be redeemed. Really? So he thought Darth Vader could be redeemed before he knew Vader was really Anakin Skywalker, his father? He thought all the storm troopers and officers in the Empire were redeemable? He thought the Emperor was redeemable? No. He thought Darth Vader was redeemable and only after he knew Vader was his father.

Still, I see that many of the criticisms of the movie are valid from a certain point of view. But I also think a lot of it is just that it goes against expectations.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Last Jedi: I wouldn't call it great by any means, but I didn't feel cheated by the price of admission, and I never got the rage online.

Suicide Squad: I really though it was serviceable, didn't see it in theaters, but it was far less of the disaster I was expecting. The worst thing I can say about it are most of the characters are pointless, but the ones that actually get some development are fine.
    Considering that "The Last Jedi" made probably close to a billion and got 90+% positive reviews from the critics, I suspect this is largely net rage which is where a very vocal minority has the illusion of being a larger group than they really are because of their vitriol and the very fact that they argue about it on the Net while the critics just post their review and done and most of the audience that went to see it just, well, went to see it over and over didn't go to the Internet to prove they loved it.

Also, when people are diehard fans of something, they tend to be far more critical of every detail they don't like while I think the average movie-goer just has a more basic gut reaction of whether or not they enjoyed it at a visceral level without concern for every detail.

I also thought "Suicide Squad" was nothing special but not the disaster some people make it out to be. In the overall scheme of things, it was much more enjoyable than what had gone before it for DC Movies.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Fantastic Four 2, Rise of the Silver Surfer.

I gave them a lot of credit for putting a credible Silver Surfer on screen, sure they didn't even try to get Galactus right, but as I thought that was impossible at the time I didn't blame them for NOT trying.
    They were trying to save Galactus for a Silver Surfer film, which is why they didn't want to box the future director of that project into any definitive visual template. Hence the angry gas cloud. But really, the film is more concerned with adapting the story where Doom steals Surfer's powers, and Galactus is an afterthought.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Still, I see that many of the criticisms of the movie are valid from a certain point of view.
    I see what you did there, Obi-Wan.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I see what you did there, Obi-Wan.
    Drat! And it was so cleverly disguised.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    This is offical ? I remember rumors that he was cast for the sequel when Homecoming came out but I haven't. Heard muc since
    As far as I know this isn't happening. Ernie Hudson apparently saw this in 2017, fell in love with it, and used the pic to say "look for me as JJJ in the sequel to Homecoming" in his Facebook group.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Considering that "The Last Jedi" made probably close to a billion and got 90+% positive reviews from the critics
    ROFL, you still trust the shill media.