Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Solo. just watched it on netflix. I thought it was a good movie. I agree that it didn't need to be made but as a movie, it was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaw View Post
    Solo. just watched it on netflix. I thought it was a good movie. I agree that it didn't need to be made but as a movie, it was fun.
    Agreed. I went in with low expectations, but I ended up really liking it. I thought it was a very entertaining movie.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yaw View Post
    I found Solo to have been a decent popcorn movie. I liked it too.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Ultimately, I think the problem with the Star Wars prequels is how rushed Lucas was when making them. The scripts were finished really late relative to the start of the filming, and in general they read like first drafts. Even still there's a lot of good stuff in them. I think if you take Jar Jar out of episode 1 and the romance scenes out of episode 2 both would end up being pretty good. Episode 3 doesn't even need those sorts of changes. All the films have great visuals, action, and some of John Williams' best work. The prequels' soundtracks do not get the love they deserve.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 01-15-2019 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayneJr. View Post
    The Star Wars prequels. Lucas overestimated the audience's ability to navigate anything with nuance.
    I really wouldn't call the PT all that nuanced, especially with lines like, "If you are not with me, then you are my enemy" or "From my perspective the Jedi Council is evil!"

With that said, though...

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I thought Phantom Menace was a lot better than some people give credit at the time. Maybe because the original trilogy left such a high bar, but I thought people were surprisngly critical of it.
    Agreed about the Phantom Menace -- it may be slow at parts, and it's not the most charming or charismatic, but it's still a good Star Wars flick. Additionally, I feel like Revenge of the Sith is fairly well regarded in general, it's just that overall distaste of the PT kind of mars it just by proximity in pop culture's mind. I wouldn't say Revenge of the Sith is over or underrated, but I feel like it unfairly gets lumped in with Attack of the Clones whenever someone thinks negatively of the PT.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I didn't think the Ghostbusters reboot was nearly as bad as people say it was. It wasn't a great movie, but it was entertaining.
    Agreed as well. There were some genuinely good moments in there. Not as funny or as charming as the first two Ghostbuster movies, but I was glad to see Ghostbusters up on the big screen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I'm with you on this one. I really don't understand how discovering aliens is really any worse than any of the other weird things Indy has found.
    Also agreed, though I feel like the complaints are less about the aliens and more about Indy's age.

----

Lastly, yes, Solo was a good movie.

Extraordinary Member

1956 Godzilla King of the Monsters with Raymond Burr. It may not be as impactful as the Japanese original version, but it is not the butchering it's been made out to be and was actually made with a lot of respect for the original version. It succeeds at everything it sets out to do and is still one of the better movies in the franchise.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Ultimately, I think the problem with the Star Wars prequels is how rushed Lucas was when making them. The scripts were finished really late relative to the start of the filming, and in general they read like first drafts. Even still there's a lot of good stuff in them. I think if you take Jar Jar out of episode 1 and the romance scenes out of episode 2 both would end up being pretty good. Episode 3 doesn't even need those sorts of changes. All the films have great visuals, action, and some of John Williams' best work. The prequels' soundtracks do not get the love they deserve.
    I think the bigger problem is Lucas is just not that good with actors. He is amazing at having big ideas and action, but he has never been that good with directing people. That and he had nothing but yes men around him when he did the prequels. He needed someone to say "you know George that scene isn't working" and he had no one there to tell him that. The ideas and plots were good, and I really think if Lucas had let someone else direct the movies they would have been much better.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    1956 Godzilla King of the Monsters with Raymond Burr. It may not be as impactful as the Japanese original version, but it is not the butchering it's been made out to be and was actually made with a lot of respect for the original version. It succeeds at everything it sets out to do and is still one of the better movies in the franchise.
    Coincidentally and I don't know why, but I was reading up on Raymond Burr's wiki just today (I think the Perry Mason song was stuck in my head), where his role in Godzilla is regarded as one of his top two most-remembered film roles.

Extraordinary Member

Solo-The lead actor came across really bad in the trailers but a lot of his bad qualities are mitigated by a strong supporting cast and great visuals. The whole Lando "trisexual" thing was clearly an idiotic afterthought.

Superfly-Once you get past the ridiculous hair it was actually a solid gangster flick.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Fantastic Four(2015)
    This was a decent sci-fi movie that got a bad superhero movie tacked on to the end of it. No idea if the original version was any good, but the first two-thirds of this movie suggest that it would've been better.

On Ghostbusters: ATC ...

The extended cut is wonderful and addresses most of people's issues with the film. Some of the jokes are better here than in the theatrical but some are not. I really wish they used the extended cut instead of the theatrical.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    You may be the only other person I've seen say they also like the Dukes of Hazzard movie.

Also, who says Spaceballs is a bad movie? Pretty sure it's was well received?
    The DoH TV series was pretty stupid too and I enjoyed it. Plus Jessica Simpson was hot. Not as hot as Catherine Bach, but still not bad. It's sort of a park your brain at the door and sit back.

Most people I know liked Spaceballs but a lot of the critics didn't. Didn't get near the love that Blazing Saddles or Young Frankenstein got.

The main problem with the SW prequels was the person doing them did not seem familiar with the original trilogy. Too many inconsistencies and contradictions.

(Yes I know who the person is, it's a joke)
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Solo-The lead actor came across really bad in the trailers but a lot of his bad qualities are mitigated by a strong supporting cast and great visuals. The whole Lando "trisexual" thing was clearly an idiotic afterthought.

Superfly-Once you get past the ridiculous hair it was actually a solid gangster flick.
    I meant to mention that earlier. The whole droid's rights thing and seeing droids more in a Star Trek way as sentient beings. That's all well and good but that means Han Solo saw that early on and yet there's no payoff. By episodes 4, 5 and 6, he clearly projects a feeling that droids in general and 3PO in particular are just objects.

But I admit I laughed when L3-37 was talking to Qi'ra about how Lando has the hots for her but she doesn't feel that way about him and Qi'ra has this look on her face like "How do I even respond to this delusional droid?"
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The main problem with the SW prequels was the person doing them did not seem familiar with the original trilogy. Too many inconsistencies and contradictions.

(Yes I know who the person is, it's a joke)
    Exactly. I think a lot of it is that people had ideas in their minds about what the back story would be or even how it would be played and the creator of the story and ideas had a different vision than they did hence, of course, their visions were right and his were wrong.
    Power with Girl is better.