Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Well, if the US let Adam leave, they no doubt would have kept a close eye on where he went. If he left for Russia, China, Cuba or another hostile rival country, that would have been tantamount to a second Cuban Missile Crisis which might have led to WW3. That said, Adam was a retired Marine. While he might expatriate to an ally like England, or a neutral country like Wakanda, he'd never leave for Russia or China in a bazillion years.

In any event, if the situation went south, it would have been the US government's fault. Instead of treating Adam like an asset, they treated him like a liability. If they were smart, they would have recalled Adam back into the US military under Stop-Loss, so that he had to serve the country on specific missions. That effectively retires him from public life AND prevents him from leaving the country. We had a draft at the time after all, and needed all of the able bodied folks that we could get. But that didn't suit ALOTBM's narrative, either, so it wasn't a consideration. Like I said, there are a number of ways to alter the telling, but it would require Grevioux to envision a US government that was as much the villain as the sociopolitical environment of the 1960s.
    That's part of the reason you almost have to have Adam quietly retire in the background. Super heroes can potentially change history, and you don't necessarily want that. US would have lose any military conflicts if they had a guy capable of splitting the moon on their pay roll. It's almost like Watchmen in a sense I guess.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    That's part of the reason you almost have to have Adam quietly retire in the background. Super heroes can potentially change history, and you don't necessarily want that. US would have lose any military conflicts if they had a guy capable of splitting the moon on their pay roll. It's almost like Watchmen in a sense I guess.
    Ahh, but see, this is where the sinister side of the government could play a role. There's more than one way to spin this yarn.

Based on the conversations of Kennedy's cabinet in ALOTBM, there was a coterie of racists who did not like Blue Marvel and wanted him gone. So while the government was on the one hand deploying Blue Marvel for extinction event type crises, the rogue cabinet members were also secretly trying to figure out a way to depower or kill him under the ruse of "routine physicals." Eventually, like Dr. Skorpion, they'd find out about Neutronium and deploy it. The perfect time would be in that brief transition of power when Kennedy was assassinated and before Johnson was sworn in as the new President. Free to operate without oversight, they imprison Adam at Kadesh, constantly pumping his body with artificial neutronium based toxin for decades. Eventually Adam succumbs, but his body is left in state at Kadesh.

Obviously, we still want ALOTBM to happen, so when Anti-Man reemerges in the modern era easily trashing the Avengers in his wake, Stark goes looking for answers. He discovers the truth of Blue Marvel and his death due to a "medical anomaly" in 1963. Stark continues to dig, thinking that maybe there is something at Kadesh that can help the Avengers against Anti-Man, whose anti-matter storms now threaten all life on the planet. Stark and the Avengers go to Kadesh and to their surprise they find Adam. Not dead, but pretty darn close after 40+ years of being exposed to Neutronium toxins. Sentry revives Adam and gets knocked into orbit for his troubles. Groggy, but dangerous and not recognizing any of the Avengers, Adam perceives them all as threats and wipes the floor with them, until he notices the alert on the Kadesh monitors of Anti-Man's rampage. Stark uses the brief diversion as an opportunity to explain to Adam what's going on, but of course, Sentry -- returning from orbit -- blindsides Adam, knocking him out. When Adam awakens, he's at Avengers HQ.

The rest of the story continues as indicated in ALOTBM with the main exception being that Anti-Man doesn't kill Marlene Frazier. Adam and Marlene do meet back in 1962-3, and shack up for a few brief months, she spying on him the entire time. But with Adam believed KIA, Marlene is reassigned to other top secret projects within the government...including one that leads to her becoming a double agent infiltrating the notorious Red Room program and receiving enhancements of her own. Grevioux killed off Marlene, but I felt that was a cop-out. I'd keep her around to the present day as a "frenemy" and legitimate love interest just to make things interesting. Especially now that Monica is in the picture.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 02-19-2019 at 04:51 PM.

Ultimate Member

Hmm...if I brought back Marlene, I'd pick it up with her as the middle aged mother of Adam's kids. We've had generations now of white women who have raised minority children in America, but it's a concept that's not always explored in superhero comics. That's fresh material and it fits within the BM concept of dealing with social issues.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Hmm...if I brought back Marlene, I'd pick it up with her as the middle aged mother of Adam's kids. We've had generations now of white women who have raised minority children in America, but it's a concept that's not always explored in superhero comics. That's fresh material and it fits within the BM concept of dealing with social issues.

Agreed, I was always disappointed that they went with killing off his wife. So having an arc like that would be interesting.

Figured I'd have a little fun with a faux cover for Candace Brashear's hypothetical return. Crimson Fury, Black Candy, Madame Malefic ... I'm still thinking of a good name for Lady Brashear, our resident daemonic revenant. Suggestions welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting debate going on regarding his origin story. I think his origin story becomes more interesting considering the political atmosphere. How would a right-wing Executive branch react to the reemergence of such a powerful Black Super hero who is also a veteran? Regarding his wife, I think part of his official superhero reemergence is inspired by those events. I think bringing her back would take away from the significance of that. You can tell certain aspects of her story via flashbacks without resurrextion. I also would not sacrifice his possible exposure and relationship with Spectrum to bring her back unless she came back as a potential antagonist for the both of them. I would love to see him on an Avengers team with her and Black Panther or Captain Marvel (considering the Ultimates connection).

Bringing back Marlene would definitely not be a popular move, since it calls to mind some of the more unpleasant aspects of Blue Marvel's origin. But I'd do it just to make the audience cringe. If it makes us cringe, just imagine how Monica would feel about it. Nothing beats a good train wreck or heartbreak. And, of course, bringing back Marlene as a magical villainess, e.g., the new Goblin Queen, elevates her to the top of the rogue's gallery for both Adam and Monica. In fact, I'd probably make Marlene Monica's archnemesis, since Monica's profile and popularity is likely to increase in the coming months. She's going to need a new foe not named Moonstone; one whom she can't easily defeat. Dark magic vs. science works for me.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 02-22-2019 at 01:10 PM.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    The Supremacists from Black Panther vol. 2 might also be interesting opponents.
    Would it be asking for trouble to replace some of the members of the group with other analogous characters? For example, White Avenger could be swapped out for King Hyperion...or perhaps an alternate Earth version of Miracleman. Captain Blaze could be swapped out for Inferno (remember him from Avengers 192-3?)...etc., etc.

Ultimate Member

I thought people who are Blue Marvel fans might be interested in video that was posted on Youtube today. I won't post a link here because I'm pretty sure the person who put it up is part of "They Who Shall Not Be Named," but look for The Blue Marvel is Black Superman in the 60's. The guy's avatar is a character associated with DC's new Gods. It's basically a review of the first issue of the mini series and while he doesn't really trash it, it seems he went into not trying too hard to engage with it.

I thought people who are Blue Marvel fans might be interested in video that was posted on Youtube today. I won't post a link here because I'm pretty sure the person who put it up is part of "They Who Shall Not Be Named," but look for The Blue Marvel is Black Superman in the 60's. The guy's avatar is a character associated with DC's new Gods. It's basically a review of the first issue of the mini series and while he doesn't really trash it, it seems he went into not trying too hard to engage with it.
    I think I saw it before. Everyone has their take. There are actually a few on that website, some more accurate than others, some more engaging than others.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”

~James Baldwin

I ran across that same video yesterday and at first I was going to post it here but before I watched the entire video, I read some of the comments and yeah, it made it seem like the guy who made it was making some negative statements about the issue/series so I decided not to post it. And I actually didn't end up watching much of the video. I only saw/listened to maybe the first minute before looking at something else.

Do you all think Jonathan Hickman would be a good writer for an ongoing Blue Marvel solo series?

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Do you all think Jonathan Hickman would be a good writer for an ongoing Blue Marvel solo series?
    Don't see why not. Good writer, who seems to handle powerful characters well enough.

And it never hurts to have an a lister on a book from a sales standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Yes, but wasn't it Hickman who could have used Blue Marvel in his epic Avengers run, but instead decided to create a 4th, 5th or is it 6th iteration of Hyperion for his Thor bromance story?

~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Yes, but wasn't it Hickman who could have used Blue Marvel in his epic Avengers run, but instead decided to create a 4th, 5th or is it 6th iteration of Hyperion for his Thor bromance story?
    BM was in Mighy Avengers at the time though. In the long run he might have been better off with Ewing. Hickmans book obviously was the bigger seller, but all Hickmsns new guys basically vanished after Secret Wars. Ewings guys are still around, even if they don't have a big spotlight.