Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Save yourself some money and skip Doctor Doom #3. Adam is in it, but only in a few panels, in one of which he gets blasted by Doom, who invoked a "7 suns" of Cinnibis (Cinnabon, Cannabis, scented biscuit, something) spell that sends Adam through walls and out the building. Adam appears to have erected a force field in time to deflect most of the damage, so I suspect there will be a follow up in the next issue. Or maybe not, given that Doom's country is about to be invaded by hostile forces.
    Attached Images Attached Images

fan art.

Last edited by Redjack; 12-20-2019 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I'm seeing all of these 2099 book in the works. I wonder what a Blue Marvel 2099 would look like?
    My friend, we have about 4 books out right now that Blue Marvel could easily be on and we got nada but a quick flash as a super-subplot. I wish to goodness things weren't like this but I don't think he is getting one.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Save yourself some money and skip Doctor Doom #3. Adam is in it, but only in a few panels, in one of which he gets blasted by Doom, who invoked a "7 suns" of Cinnibis (Cinnabon, Cannabis, scented biscuit, something) spell that sends Adam through walls and out the building. Adam appears to have erected a force field in time to deflect most of the damage, so I suspect there will be a follow up in the next issue. Or maybe not, given that Doom's country is about to be invaded by hostile forces.
    Agreed, it was a complete waste of time and pretty much set up as a jobbing effect. Really a disservice to the character. This is the first time I wish I could get a refund on a comic.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Agreed, it was a complete waste of time and pretty much set up as a jobbing effect. Really a disservice to the character. This is the first time I wish I could get a refund on a comic.
    Agree, it was definitely a jobber deal.

The 7 Suns of Cinnibis is basically a powerful light spell used to cast out literal or metaphysical darkness. Adam is not dark, meaning "evil" or dark-aligned magically speaking. On the contrary, he creates his own light. Despite what the spell's name implies, the spell doesn't literally replicate the total energy spectrum of 7 suns. The spell isn't accompanied by plasma, gravity, intense radiation (gamma or otherwise), solar wind, etc. If it did, that kind of heat would have vaporized everyone in the room, but Adam. Doctor Strange and Clea have been known to use the spell on occasion, but never as some type of supernova blast effect. Light is all that it produces, even if it is a metaphysically cleansing light.

But this is Doom's title and Adam is a z-list hero, so whatever the writer wants to establish goes.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 12-04-2019 at 03:52 PM.

Doom exists to embarrass other characters. his "power" is one upmanship. so get used to it. I wonder if Adam will be appearing anywhere else this year. i'm looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Doom exists to embarrass other characters. his "power" is one upmanship. so get used to it. I wonder if Adam will be appearing anywhere else this year. i'm looking forward to it.
    Naw, his true power is the one where he is impeccably immune to the deserving label of a walking, functional character of double standards.

Fantastic Member

Eeesh. So first they walk back the last year's character development with my favourite, Sentry. And now another of my favourites (I must have a soft spot for retcon characters) is punked by Doom.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Considering Adam was there to help him, all this proves is that Doom continues to be an Idiot Savant. Or didn't it occur to Doom that Adam could have annihilated his body while he was busy trading barbs with Mephisto?

Of course, we all know that Victor's reaction was more about Reed than about Adam. That one upmanship thing must really do wonders for his ego when routinely faced with his betters.

Blue Marvel & Anti-Magic

That last issue of Doom got me to thinking.

There are two things that I hate: (1.) Powerful characters getting jobbed, especially by magic; and (2.) the Blue Marvel - Superman equivalency. So I figured there's one way to obviate the first, while also endowing Blue Marvel with an attribute that would make him distinct from all of the Superman analogs. The solution is anti-magic.

It's a simple concept. Just as there is matter and antimatter, these is also magic and anti-magic throughout the multiverse. And just as matter and antimatter cancel out (annihilate one another, actually) magic and anti-magic would have the same effect.

Since Adam has mastery of antimatter and antiparticles, he would also be able to generate and manipulate anti-magic particles and energy. Small quantities at first, maybe just enough for a personal aura like Baron Strucker's Marvel Mangaverse counterpart. However, once magic and anti-magic annihilation occurs, as would be the case if someone directed a magical attack at Adam, or he picked up an item like a magical ward, talisman, or even Thor's hammer, which projects adverse magic against him, Adam can then take that excess energy and generate more anti-magic particles, which would allow him to negate even greater magical effects.

With tha,t logical, yet simple change no one could say that Adam was like Superman in terms of vulnerability to magic. And magic in general couldn't be used as a deus ex against him. Bye bye Crimson Bands of Cyttorak and Seven Suns of Cinnibis spells. Lifting Thor's hammer? No problem, Odin's enchantment wouldn't work on Adam...although I suspect Adam is already worthy of lifting the hammer anyway, if he wanted.

Would that make Adam OP? I doubt it, not when we consider the field. Void/Sentry is running around physically ripping open holes in the fabric of the space/time continuum. Hulk has carte blanche to jerk lift the weight of a quadrillion multiverses, if the writers wanted him to do so. The heavens are no limit for characters like that. With anti-magic in his repertoire, I'm just trying to give Adam a little skylight. And perhaps encourage writers to be a bit more creative with Adam in future stories.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Blue Marvel has a rather prominent appearance in Incoming #1. For such a large book he is pretty central to the overall story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Blue Marvel has a rather prominent appearance in Incoming #1. For such a large book he is pretty central to the overall story.

Agreed, and that gives me hope that he may pay a decent size roll for the upcoming Empyre event. After the horribly display seen in Dr.Doom, this was a nice cleanser.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    I just read Incoming. A mystery that made for a nice round robin update of various characters around the MU.

Yes, Blue Marvel is in it. He formed a team called the Three X's with Woo and Night Thrasher. No, I'm not kidding, Three X's was the best that they could do for a team name. Not Triple X. Not The 3 Wise Men. Not the 3 Kings. Not even the Trinity. Just the Three X's. With a name like that, they won't be around long. Anyway, I guess they're kind of the superhero equivalent of the X-Files' Lone Gunmen. If you're too young to know what the X-Files is, google it. Great series... at least for the first 2-3 seasons.

So anyways, spoilers, we have a mystery which is eventually brought to The Three Mehs to help solve. To be fair, several of Marvel's brightest minds took a crack at it, including T'Challa, to no avail. The team makes some headway, but they can't solve it. Blue Marvel tracks down Iron Man (Arno Stark) who solves it in a matter of seconds. But Arno being Arno doesn't give that info to Adam. Adam initially went to Reed Richards, who couldn't make heads or tails of it the first time, but on a second pass Reed finally figures it out. As it turns out Reed has some experiential context that helps solve the mystery. As these things go, one mystery begets another. Thus begins the great push for Empyre event in April 2020.

So, yes, Blue Marvel is in Incoming. He didn't do much, but fly around seeking help from experts, one of whom had no qualms about throwing his past of "sitting out and doing nothing" in his face. Blue made no defense of himself at all, but I guess we're at that point where it doesn't really matter. He's never going to live that down.

As for Empyre, judging by all of the cover previews at the end of Incoming, I don't think Blue Marvel will play an integral role. He and the Three X's might play a small part, but this won't be the epic event that puts Blue Marvel on everyone's pull list.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 12-26-2019 at 08:47 PM.

Anyway... I thought it was pretty cool. I'll keep an eye on what they do with that team.

The Three X name comes from the original team from the 40s, since Jimmy, Adam and Dwayne's came together to investigate the mystery and conspiracy surrounding them.

Not sure if they'll be relevant in Empyre, although if it's an event written by Ewing, I expect him not to stick to the usuals suspects (Cap, Tony, Carol, Wolverine and so on). But since it's still an event, I'm not sure he'll be allowed to use too many C-listers.
    The Three X will definitely be in whatever involves the Masked Raider, but will it be another one shot, a series or an event?
    Last edited by mugiwara; 12-27-2019 at 02:02 AM.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way