Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    That might be reason for him to be curious about Adam... but I wouldn't say it's reason for him to be jeolous of him.
    ...I don't know, Adam is someone who very well thwart Doom on every level. Reed is a match for Doom on most levels. Adam could all out physically manhandle Doom.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    ...I don't know, Adam is someone who very well thwart Doom on every level. Reed is a match for Doom on most levels. Adam could all out physically manhandle Doom.
    Adam is certainly a person who can present a credible threat to Doom. I don't think that's necessarily the same thing as being jeolous of Adam though.

The only reason Doom has issues with Reed is because of their history together. Honestly if they had never met, I don't think Doom would be jeolous of Reed either. Doom has personal issues very specific to Reed. But that doesn't carry over to every smart guy Doom meets. Doom comes into conflict with Iron Man and T'Challa often enough, and with them he's a bit more "normal." It's just business. It's just with Reed that he specifically Doom has this irrational one sided rivalry which Reed funnily enough no sells half the time.

But jeolous aside, Adam is a great opponent for Doom. He's one of the few heroes who can match up with what Doom brings to the table. So them interacting in a story potentially could be cool.

Adam is certainly a person who can present a credible threat to Doom. I don't think that's necessarily the same thing as being jeolous of Adam though.

The only reason Doom has issues with Reed is because of their history together. Honestly if they had never met, I don't think Doom would be jeolous of Reed either. Doom has personal issues very specific to Reed. But that doesn't carry over to every smart guy Doom meets. Doom comes into conflict with Iron Man and T'Challa often enough, and with them he's a bit more "normal." It's just business. It's just with Reed that he specifically Doom has this irrational one sided rivalry which Reed funnily enough no sells half the time.

But jeolous aside, Adam is a great opponent for Doom. He's one of the few heroes who can match up with what Doom brings to the table. So them interacting in a story potentially could be cool.
    Yes, I do get it far as the jealousy of Reed only. This was illustrated so well in Secret Wars 2.

Maybe Adam will feel some sympathy toward Doom, as both of them had a family member trapped in another dimension.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Maybe Adam will feel some sympathy toward Doom, as both of them had a family member trapped in another dimension.
    I think any sympathy he might have for him would vanish after seeing what Doom has done over the years.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I think any sympathy he might have for him would vanish after seeing what Doom has done over the years.
    Agreed. Blue Marvel endured all kinds of crap, while Doom lashed out and hurt countless people

it ought to be a good encounter either way. sounds like Adam will take the lead in investigating whatever it is that Doom is accused of.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    I don't imagine they will become bff's... but some sort of mutual respect or understanding might be nice. I thought it was cool back in the day when Doom had somewhat of a working relationship with Namor and BP.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    makes you wonder why Doom is jealous of Reed Richards but not Adam Brashear. the latter is, arguably, higher-functioning.
    Doom likely sees Adam as a "lesser", no matter how intelligent or powerful he may be. I think Doom sees all men as lessers, but especially ones who would rather acquiesce to the rule of law, no matter how unjust, rather than using his powers to impose his will and ethos on the world. Doom, after all, is a despot. One who has always been critical of men like Owen Reece, Silver Surfer, and yes, probably Adam as well for having ultimate power, yet none of the wherewithal of how to truly use it. To be sure, noble heroes amuse Doom more than anything else. I don't think Doom would ever see Adam as a challenge or legitimate threat, even if Adam was his superior by every conceivable metric.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Doom likely sees Adam as a "lesser", no matter how intelligent or powerful he may be. I think Doom sees all men as lessers, but especially ones who would rather acquiesce to the rule of law, no matter how unjust, rather than using his powers to impose his will and ethos on the world. Doom, after all, is a despot. One who has always been critical of men like Owen Reece, Silver Surfer, and yes, probably Adam as well for having ultimate power, yet none of the wherewithal of how to truly use it. To be sure, noble heroes amuse Doom more than anything else. I don't think Doom would ever see Adam as a challenge or legitimate threat, even if Adam was his superior by every conceivable metric.
    well he did sit on the bench for a long time. but i'd say that the Ultimates were very proactive in their approach to the world. they "tamed" Galactus.

well he did sit on the bench for a long time. but i'd say that the Ultimates were very proactive in their approach to the world. they "tamed" Galactus.
    Yes, but had the book continued, I think Ewing was in the process of showing that even a team with members as powerful as the Ultimates would eventually be limited by the concerns of the respective governments of the US and Wakanda -- although the latter was less of a concern with its king being on the team. Is there any doubt, knowing what we know about Adam, that if the US had told the team to cease all operations that Adam would have submitted with the order? That's the sort of thing that makes Doom burst a gut in laughter. He's not acquiescing to inferior minds or bureaucrats. He's going to do what Doom feels he must. Adam could learn quite a bit from Victor in that respect. With great power comes great responsibility, not great kowtow-ability.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 09-24-2019 at 02:46 PM.

They cured Galactus, but they also ended up sort of working for Galactus.

So in Dooms mind (which to some degree is using the twisted logic of a suoer villain), Adam is more a follower than a leader. So he'd probably respect someone like a T'Challa over an Adam more despite being less powerful physically.

They cured Galactus, but they also ended up sort of working for Galactus.

So in Dooms mind (which to some degree is using the twisted logic of a suoer villain), Adam is more a follower than a leader. So he'd probably respect someone like a T'Challa over an Adam more despite being less powerful physically.
    Agreed. But even Doom would scoff at T'Challa being his equal, let alone his superior. I can't completely blame him, since like Thanos, Marvel writers have a pesky habit of giving him nigh-absolute power on multiple occasions. Not that T'Challa didn't get somewhat of a taste of that when the Tiger God let him ride shotgun, but that's still not quite the same thing as not having to answer to anyone at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Agreed. But even Doom would scoff at T'Challa being his equal, let alone his superior. I can't completely blame him, since like Thanos, Marvel writers have a pesky habit of giving him nigh-absolute power on multiple occasions. Not that T'Challa didn't get somewhat of a taste of that when the Tiger God let him ride shotgun, but that's still not quite the same thing as not having to answer to anyone at all.
    Mayberry in Doomwar did actually have Doom call Tchalla his equal, but honestly that was bad writing. I don't think he considers anyone his equal. I think he has a good deal of respect for guys like Strange, Tchalla, and Captain America... But in his mind they are all a notch or two below him. And yeah, Doom does back up that high opinion of himself as far as years go. Though his win loss record overall somewhat disputes it.

Mayberry in Doomwar did actually have Doom call Tchalla his equal, but honestly that was bad writing. I don't think he considers anyone his equal. I think he has a good deal of respect for guys like Strange, Tchalla, and Captain America... But in his mind they are all a notch or two below him. And yeah, Doom does back up that high opinion of himself as far as years go. Though his win loss record overall somewhat disputes it.
    Yeah, that's how you know that you're dealing with a persistent megalomaniacal narcissist. Their flaws are virtues and their losses never happened. It will be interesting to read Adam's thoughts on Doom, should the writers decide to go there.