Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Was it just a panel? Or was he shown in like a couple of pages. Trying to determine if the book has enough blue marvel in it to warrant a purchase.
    He was in 4-5 pages

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Was it just a panel? Or was he shown in like a couple of pages. Trying to determine if the book has enough blue marvel in it to warrant a purchase.
    Though I would recommend getting this book, I wouldn't get it JUST for Blue Marvel. He's there, and I do think he'll pop up here and there through out the series. But He's basically in a background lab assistant role. It's NICE that he's showing up, but probably not something to get excited over.

Though you never know. The fact that he's in the book means it's at least POSSIBLE he can do more down the line.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

At this point I'm all in on No Road Home because of Monica. Ewing did a good job with her in Ultimates, so I can only hope that carries over into this series. If Blue Marvel actually joins the team and fights alongside them, I'll be beyond shocked. Nothing short of a miracle.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Got that relationship confirmation with Monica too.

Re: Avengers No Road Home #1, Adam appears in a few panels, but as is typically the case, the massive emergency requires his attention elsewhere. We'll have to wait until the next issue to see if Adam's exploits are documented on panel or off. He's not chosen for Voyager's team at first, so we'll have to wait and see if he plays any role at all in the ANRH other than window dressing.

What I did find interesting, though, is the curriculum vitae posted at the end of the issue. It's actually Monica's entry, but Adam is mentioned. Maybe it's something, maybe nothing, but apparently Mark Waid and Al Ewing are apparently under the impression that both Monica and Adam are "unlikely to age." Makes you wonder if they've been taking to heart requests to start to de-age Adam. If he doesn't age, then perhaps the Blue Marvel that we all know is the one that allowed himself to age simply to give the appearance that he was keeping pace with his mortal wife at the time.

Makes sense. As I mentioned in another thread, Anti-Man didn't age at all. Conner looks exactly the same age that he was when they first got their powers. So why should Brashear?

They are still drawing Adam as an older gentleman -- for now. But hopefully, they'll rethink that and roll back the clock on his physical appearance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Re: Avengers No Road Home #1, Adam appears in a few panels, but as is typically the case, the massive emergency requires his attention elsewhere. We'll have to wait until the next issue to see if Adam's exploits are documented on panel or off. He's not chosen for Voyager's team at first, so we'll have to wait and see if he plays any role at all in the ANRH other than window dressing.

What I did find interesting, though, is the curriculum vitae posted at the end of the issue. It's actually Monica's entry, but Adam is mentioned. Maybe it's something, maybe nothing, but apparently Mark Waid and Al Ewing are apparently under the impression that both Monica and Adam are "unlikely to age." Makes you wonder if they've been taking to heart requests to start to de-age Adam. If he doesn't age, then perhaps the Blue Marvel that we all know is the one that allowed himself to age simply to give the appearance that he was keeping pace with his mortal wife at the time.

Makes sense. As I mentioned in another thread, Anti-Man didn't age at all. Conner looks exactly the same age that he was when they first got their powers. So why should Brashear?

They are still drawing Adam as an older gentleman -- for now. But hopefully, they'll rethink that and roll back the clock on his physical appearance.
    I actually like that Adam looks a bit older. I don't think EVERY super hero needs to be in their 20's-30's, or look like they are.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I actually like that Adam looks a bit older. I don't think EVERY super hero needs to be in their 20's-30's, or look like they are.
    Agreed. His age should set him apart

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    And yet they all do, except Adam. Sentry, Thor, Hulk, Adam Warlock, Black Panther, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Hawkeye, Nova, Iron Man, Daredevil, Spider-Man, Cyclops, and on and on and on and on -- hell, even Logan's old ass doesn't look as old as Blue Marvel does. It's not a coincidence, folks, that most popular characters at Marvel (or DC for that matter) all look young. These things are formulaic. We're not doing Adam any favors by making him look like an old man.

Ultimate Member

And yet they all do, except Adam. Sentry, Thor, Hulk, Adam Warlock, Black Panther, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Hawkeye, Nova, Iron Man, Daredevil, Spider-Man, Cyclops, and on and on and on and on -- hell, even Logan's old ass doesn't look as old as Blue Marvel does. It's not a coincidence, folks, that most popular characters at Marvel (or DC for that matter) all look young. These things are formulaic. We're not doing Adam any favors by making him look like an old man.
    Err, what?

Old Man Logan looks old as hell.

Blue Marvel has some grey hair.

And given that his origin is directly tied to a certain era, looking a little older is apt.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Err, what?

Old Man Logan looks old as hell.
    Hyperbole for effect. That's how I feel about Blue Marvel. De-age him.

And given that his origin is directly tied to a certain era, looking a little older is apt.
    Timeless heroes transcend era. What you propose actually limits Adam. It tethers him in ways that other more popular characters are not. Adam does not age. To depict otherwise is a calculated farce of a fiction.

It's time to turn back the clock and ditch the Ernie Hudson look. (The age 70+ actor pictured below.) Don't get me wrong, I respect Mr. Hudson's body of work; he is a phenomenal actor and gentleman. I've probably watched all of his movies and TV appearances. But I don't want Blue Marvel to look anything like him. All you Marvel artists out there, get to work. Bring us a young Blue Marvel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 02-16-2019 at 09:43 PM.

Sentry is a popular Marvel character? Hell, I think the tv show kind of hurt Iron Fist's popularity.

Invincible Member

Hyperbole for effect. That's how I feel about Blue Marvel. De-age him.

Timeless heroes transcend era. What you propose actually limits Adam. It tethers him in ways that other more popular characters are not. Adam does not age. To depict otherwise is a calculated farce of a fiction.

It's time to turn back the clock and ditch the Ernie Hudson look. (The age 70+ actor pictured below.) Don't get me wrong, I respect Mr. Hudson's body of work; he is a phenomenal actor and gentleman. I've probably watched all of his movies and TV appearances. But I don't want Blue Marvel to look anything like him. All you Marvel artists out there, get to work. Bring us a young Blue Marvel.
    I think it only limits him if you're trying to sell him to teenagers. Having him be older makes him stand out more.

It's like nu52 Amanda Waller...they re-designed her to look like a generic supermodel and it didn't work. The fans of the character liked her as a middle aged woman who could stare down Batman. No one believed in the "hot chick" who was just one of dozens.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think it only limits him if you're trying to sell him to teenagers. Having him be older makes him stand out more.

It's like nu52 Amanda Waller...they re-designed her to look like a generic supermodel and it didn't work. The fans of the character liked her as a middle aged woman who could stare down Batman. No one believed in the "hot chick" who was just one of dozens.
    Uhhmm Waller has been played by Viola Davis,Cynthia Addai-Robinson and Angela Bassett .They could have easily pick someone like C. C. H. Pounder to play her in movies. Regardless of what fans liked when it came showing on screen they didn't get actor who accurately reflected the comics.The elder statesman thing is fine but he does not have to look like a oldman and imo Blue Marvel Plays a little to old. I don't see them changing because apparently that streak of gray is signature. I kinda get what JudicatorPrime is saying imo put he should look more current Idris Elba than current Denzel Washington.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Uhhmm Waller has been played by Viola Davis,Cynthia Addai-Robinson and Angela Bassett .They could have easily pick someone like C. C. H. Pounder to play her in movies. Regardless of what fans liked when it came showing on screen they didn't get actor who accurately reflected the comics.The elder statesman thing is fine but he does not have to look like a oldman and imo Blue Marvel Plays a little to old. I don't see them changing because apparently that streak of gray is signature. I kinda get what JudicatorPrime is saying imo put he should look more current Idris Elba than current Denzel Washington.
    I'm talking about in the comics. In the first year of the Nu52, they were drawing Waller to look like Halley Barry. In my opinion that was a mistake. And while they haven't made her quite as big as she was when she debuted, she's now looking less waif-ish and more grown.

My thing about BM is he already looks like Idris ( a fit man who's in his mid 40's), making him look younger doesn't help him stand out.

The fact that they ALL look like young adults is precisely why we should have some that don't. There's no reason that all the heroes need to look the same. We can have a bit of diversity. And it's not like he's drawn like the old guy in Stamford and son. He's still a good looking physically fit person. These things are formulaic... but formulas are made to be broken.