Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

For me the point is that with his powers he shouldn't have aged at all since gaining them. There absolutely should be older looking heroes but not when power wise it makes no sense.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Sentry is a popular Marvel character? Hell, I think the tv show kind of hurt Iron Fist's popularity.
    Yes, Sentry is more popular than Blue Marvel. And he gets used more often than Blue Marvel.

Iron Fist will be fine, bad Netflix show or not. Comic readers are sophisticated enough to separate their appreciation of the two. It wouldn't be the first time that a Marvel character had a bad TV or movie adaptation.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    That's not saying much. Only two writers have written stories featuring Adam at length: Grevioux and Ewing. Grevioux created the character, so naturally he had to lay the foundation in terms of Adam's capabilities. As for Ewing, the consensus is that Adam didn't do much under him ... and still hasn't. I do credit Ewing for filling in Adam's backstory and linking him to Monica.
    I even like how Ewing created throwback stories with Blue Marvel that were really interesting and he me wanting to see a separate book with him and his son, or just him. Said it before I'll say it again. The fact is here we are right now getting punished, wolverine and daredevil are going up against frost giants and other supernatural creatures while our boy is just riding pine. I can't stand the imbalance and oversaturation of certain few characters just to hear that lack of history and popularity is the reason characters like Adam can't find a way to a series like this.

Yes, Sentry is more popular than Blue Marvel. And he gets used more often than Blue Marvel.

Iron Fist will be fine, bad Netflix show or not. Comic readers are sophisticated enough to separate their appreciation of the two. It wouldn't be the first time that a Marvel character had a bad TV or movie adaptation.
    Sentry got used more because Bendis happened to like him, and showcased him a lot during a fairly hot period for marvel. And that's just what it takes sometimes... for a popular writer to just decide one day to adopt some character in limbo.

But honestly I'm very doubtful that Sentry would be used less if he looked a little older, or Blue Marvel would be used more if he looked a little younger.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I'm talking about in the comics. In the first year of the Nu52, they were drawing Waller to look like Halley Barry. In my opinion that was a mistake. And while they haven't made her quite as big as she was when she debuted, she's now looking less waif-ish and more grown.

My thing about BM is he already looks like Idris ( a fit man who's in his mid 40's), making him look younger doesn't help him stand out.
    Rest assured, I don't want Blue Marvel to look like Halle Berry.

What I'm saying is that I don't want him looking like he's 70, when he doesn't age. The Reed Richards, J. Jonah Jameson hoary gray fade needs to go.

Real life 70 year old black men do not look like Adam.

Also, Adam does age but it's at a slower rate than normal humans. So there is justification for him having gray hair.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    I even like how Ewing created throwback stories with Blue Marvel that were really interesting and he me wanting to see a separate book with him and his son, or just him. Said it before I'll say it again. The fact is here we are right now getting punished, wolverine and daredevil are going up against frost giants and other supernatural creatures while our boy is just riding pine. I can't stand the imbalance and oversaturation of certain few characters just to hear that lack of history and popularity is the reason characters like Adam can't find a way to a series like this.
    That's a vicous circle. The more often a character appeared, the more popular and recognizable they are. And the more popular/recognizable a character is, the more often they appear.
    So of course it favors all the old school characters and popular writers pets.
    It's even worse nowadays when series barely last 12 issues. Characters like Blue Marvel and several other newcomers are easy to miss because they disappear from the comics as soon as they appeared. So even 15 years from now, it's not likely that there will be a writer who grew up reading their adventures.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

What I'm saying is that I don't want him looking like he's 70, when he doesn't age. The Reed Richards, J. Jonah Jameson hoary gray fade needs to go.
    I'd say he looks closer to his mid-40's than 70. Again, he still looks like a good looking fit guy. He just has a bit of grey around his hair, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    That's a vicous circle. The more often a character appeared, the more popular and recognizable they are. And the more popular/recognizable a character is, the more often they appear.
    So of course it favors all the old school characters.
    It's even worse nowadays when series barely last 12 issues. Characters like Blue Marvel and several other newcomers are easy to miss because they disappear from the comics as soon as they appeared. So even 15 years from now, it's not likely that there will be a writer who grew up reading their adventures.
    That was the nice thing about Bendis. He seemed to dig a lot of the newer characters. Say what you want about how he used guys like Ares, the Hood, or Sentry but he at least gave them some spotlight. These are characters who otherwise might have been forgotten about.

Agreed, unless like you mentioned earlier an it was a case of him willing himself to appear to age to keep pace with his wife the man shouldn't look old or at the very leat have the gray temples. Now if it's like a sub conscious thing like the gray is from regret or shame for bowing down to the government then I can live with and even appreciate that. Otherwise if there is no story reason for the gray then it just makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Agreed, unless like you mentioned earlier an it was a case of him willing himself to appear to age to keep pace with his wife the man shouldn't look old or at the very leat have the gray temples. Now if it's like a sub conscious thing like the gray is from regret or shame for bowing down to the government then I can live with and even appreciate that. Otherwise if there is no story reason for the gray then it just makes no sense.
    We have to remember this is a fictional character with fictional super powers. So he basically ages at whatever rate the writers decide he ages. If the creative team who created the character in the first place decide that he simply ages slowly rather than not at all, then I don't think there's much of an arguement against it.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Sentry got used more because Bendis happened to like him, and showcased him a lot during a fairly hot period for marvel. And that's just what it takes sometimes... for a popular writer to just decide one day to adopt some character in limbo.

But honestly I'm very doubtful that Sentry would be used less if he looked a little older, or Blue Marvel would be used more if he looked a little younger.
    You said it and missed it. What it takes is for a character to capture a writer's imagination. Clearly OLD Man Adam isn't doing that for enough writers. So let's make some changes, starting with the optics, which we know to be a factor in how fans receive characters. This isn't the 1980s or 1990s when Cosby and Morgan Freeman were king and everyone loved them, and you could launch a new franchise character who looked older like them. Sure, Samuel L. still gets love, but he's the exception, not the rule. De-age Adam.

You said it and missed it. What it takes is for a character to capture a writer's imagination. Clearly OLD Man Adam isn't doing that for enough writers. So let's make some changes, starting with the optics, which we know to be a factor in how fans receive characters. This isn't the 1980s or 1990s when Cosby and Morgan Freeman were king and everyone loved them, and you could launch a new franchise character who looked older like them. Sure, Samuel L. still gets love, but he's the exception, not the rule. De-age Adam.
    Guy who plays Black Lighting on the TV show is in his late 40's. And that's televison, where the looks of the leading man arguably matter more than in comics. THey could have done what they do with every other CW show and cast someone who looks like they just graduated high school, but they went a different direction and the show is still around.

Just saying a bit of diversity won't kill anyone. We can get characters with different genders and ethnicities and ages and body types.

Ultimate Member

If some gray hair keeps writers like Bendis away from Adam, I'd take it

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I'd say he looks closer to his mid-40's than 70. Again, he still looks like a good looking fit guy. He just has a bit of grey around his hair, that's all.
    A bit of grey? If you shaved off all of his grey hair, he'd have no hair from his temples to his neck. It's a cool look. I used to have that fade back in the day. But that's hardly a bit of grey. Admit it, you couldn't even type that with a straight face.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 02-17-2019 at 12:14 PM.