Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    The thing is, the MU presidents as a whole were probably a lot worse than any real life ones. In the MU we've had things like Sentinals and negative zone prisons. Not to mention that whole thing with Nixon. So by comparrison I almost think it wouldn't be that big a deal, since most heroes are probably used to a president in the MU who does a lot of things they don't necessarily agree with.
    But this isn't a comparative thing. This goes specifically to the reason why Blue Marvel was forced into retirement. This isn't about basic moral outrage, or drawing lines to false equivalencies. This goes directly to the core of who Adam is. I bet it would be a big deal for him. I mean if we accept the premise, Kennedy's EO is the reason why Adam isn't the G.O.A.T. of all heroes, like Superman is at DC, right? Yeah, that's gotta matter to him. On a deeply personal level.

Eh, I feel like the more we stay away from politics in comics for right now, the better. I'm not saying political figures (especially the president) shouldn't be called out on stuff like that, but a story like that would feel kinda forced. Comics in general don't handle politics the way they used to back in the day (from what I've read) when things were more heated in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    Eh, I feel like the more we stay away from politics in comics for right now, the better. I'm not saying political figures (especially the president) shouldn't be called out on stuff like that, but a story like that would feel kinda forced. Comics in general don't handle politics the way they used to back in the day (from what I've read) when things were more heated in this country.
    We'd just use a metaphor, which is all the X-Men have been all of these years ...an extended metaphor. Only I'd keep it to just a one-shot deal. Because that topic hasn't been covered at all as it relates to Blue, which makes it a bit of a stretch.

With Idris Elba talking about "black Superman" in the Hobbs & Shaw movie, I wonder if he's angling to re-up with the MCU as Adam Brashear.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/idris-...man-james-bond

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    With Idris Elba talking about "black Superman" in the Hobbs & Shaw movie, I wonder if he's angling to re-up with the MCU as Adam Brashear.

Now that I think about it...

Thor's human alter ego was Dr. Donald Blake in the comics. Could MCU Heimdall's human alter be Dr. Adam Brashear??? I realize Heimdall died in the MCU, but that would be a funny twist.

I admit, seeing the trailer does make me wish that they had introduced Idris as BM.

Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 07-16-2019 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post

Unless he's a fairly hardcore comic book guy, I'd honestly be surprised if he knew who Adam was.

That said, if they ever wanted to cast a Blue Marvel Elba would fit nicely. Not sure he'd actually want the job since I'm not sure he necessariy enjoyed his time working at marvel... but if the stars align that would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    That said, if they ever wanted to cast a Blue Marvel Elba would fit nicely. Not sure he'd actually want the job since I'm not sure he necessariy enjoyed his time working at marvel... but if the stars align that would be cool.
    I didn't realize that he had a beef with Disney. I wonder if it was because Marvel/Disney doesn't exactly have a feature role for him? In Hobbs & Shaw he plays the villain, I think. He says he's like Superman, but Captain America is probably the better comparison. In any event, I'm looking forward to seeing the movie. The Rock introducing his Samoan background to the masses should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I didn't realize that he had a beef with Disney. I wonder if it was because Marvel/Disney doesn't exactly have a feature role for him? In Hobbs & Shaw he plays the villain, I think. He says he's like Superman, but Captain America is probably the better comparison. In any event, I'm looking forward to seeing the movie. The Rock introducing his Samoan background to the masses should be fun.
    Oh, I don't think he had a problem with Disney. I think he just found doing some the filming difficult. He called it "torture."

https://screencrush.com/idris-elba-m...ovies-torture/

No, you're thinking place of origin as opposed to genetic material. Hyperion is human, period. Superman was never human as Kryptonians are an entirely different genetic species, albeit one biologically compatible with humans.
    Eternals are a different species from homo sapiens/humans in the MU.
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

Bottom line, Blue Marvel needs a solo series written by a writer that knows how to write intelligent powerful characters. Marvel has writers the likes of Al Ewing, Greg Pak, Jeff Parker or Christos Gage that I feel could give him depth.

I can't find the post, but someone mentioned it, and I'm not sure why Marvel scrapped the idea of Avengers World. If Marvel won't give Adam Brashear his own title, then how about have him star on a team of Avengers that represents the different nations of the planet. Sort of an UN type styled team that protects the planet's interest as a whole. As it stands, he's wasted potential.
    Last edited by Gamma Irradiated Being; 07-30-2019 at 09:06 AM.
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Irradiated Being View Post
    I can't find the post, but someone mentioned it, and I'm not sure why Marvel scrapped the idea of Avengers World. If Marvel won't give Adam Brashear his own title, then how about have him star on a team of Avengers that represents the different nations of the planet. Sort of an UN type styled team that protects the planet's interest as a whole. As it stands, he's wasted potential.
    I'm not surprised that nobody uses that idea.
    Ewing throws a lot of bottles in the sea, but nobody seems interested in picking them up.
    Nobody to write the Champions of Europe (except for them to be defeated off panel in War Of Realms), nobody to write a Angela/Ava White Tiger story, nobody to write a Dr Positron/ Power Man buddy comics, nobody to use Night Thrasher in a comics (until recently, as he'll be in Punisher)...
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Eternals are a different species from homo sapiens/humans in the MU.
    This must be a new development...because they started out as the genus homo. Kirby, or perhaps it was Stan, mentioned an early form of ape, which dovetails with the then extremely popular idea that humanity evolved from apes. However we choose to define early "man" that's what the Celestials experimented on to create Eternals, and every human on MU Earth evolved from there as far as I know. Again, I'll admit that my understanding is based on the old tellings and more recent stories may have reworked the origins.

All that said, my point remains: it's great to have Adam, but I wouldn't mind seeing a second really powerful Black hero created. One in the top tier to check villains when Thor, Sentry, Adamantine (the French Superman), Molecule Man, Gladiator, Hyperion, adult Franklin Richards, Gabriel Shepherd, Silver Surfer, Odin, Hulk, etc., are busy tending to their own personal matters. It doesn't have to be a flying brick with genius level IQ. He doesn't even have to be American. British works just fine. The story of Morien comes to mind. (Sir Morien was the son of Aglovale and the nephew of Percival according to one telling of the King Arthur legend. Aglovale met and fell in love with Morien's mother, a Black, Christian princess, while seeking the Holy Grail in Moorish lands.)
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 07-30-2019 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    I'm not surprised that nobody uses that idea.
    Ewing throws a lot of bottles in the sea, but nobody seems interested in picking them up.
    Nobody to write the Champions of Europe (except for them to be defeated off panel in War Of Realms), nobody to write a Angela/Ava White Tiger story, nobody to write a Dr Positron/ Power Man buddy comics, nobody to use Night Thrasher in a comics (until recently, as he'll be in Punisher)...
    Ewing is a great writer, but sometimes you need someone who is also a great conceptualist. That likely explains why no one is rushing to pick up the dimes that he's dropping.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 07-30-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Bottom line, Blue Marvel needs a solo series written by a writer that knows how to write intelligent powerful characters. Marvel has writers the likes of Al Ewing, Greg Pak, Jeff Parker or Christos Gage that I feel could give him depth.
    Al and Kevin Grevioux are the only two writers that have written him. Grevioux has other pursuits and Al has said on a number of occasions that he's gone as far as he can possibly go with Blue Marvel. It's going to take someone new -- or one of the old guard -- to carry Adam's story forward at this point.

This must be a new development...because they started out as the genus homo. Kirby, or perhaps it was Stan, mentioned an early form of ape, which dovetails with the then extremely popular idea that humanity evolved from apes. However we choose to define early "man" that's what the Celestials experimented on to create Eternals, and every human on MU Earth evolved from there as far as I know. Again, I'll admit that my understanding is based on the old tellings and more recent stories may have reworked the origins.

All that said, my point remains: it's great to have Adam, but I wouldn't mind seeing a second really powerful Black hero created. One in the top tier to check villains when Thor, Sentry, Adamantine (the French Superman), Molecule Man, Gladiator, Hyperion, adult Franklin Richards, Gabriel Shepherd, Silver Surfer, Odin, Hulk, etc., are busy tending to their own personal matters. It doesn't have to be a flying brick with genius level IQ. He doesn't even have to be American. British works just fine. The story of Morien comes to mind. (Sir Morien was the son of Aglovale and the nephew of Percival according to one telling of the King Arthur legend. Aglovale met and fell in love with Morien's mother, a Black, Christian princess, while seeking the Holy Grail in Moorish lands.)
    I can't recall where I've read it but I thought it was stated the their are three types of humanoid species created on Marvel's earth. Homo Immortal which poduces the Eternals and Deviants. Inhomo Supeemis which are the Inhumsns. And Homo Sapiens which are humans, mutants and mutates. Homo Sapien Superior are just mutants being the next stage of human evolution.