Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    So since Gemma Chan is apparently going to be in Eternals despite being in Captain Marvel, who here is hoping Idris Elba will come back to the MCU to play Adam? A guy can dream can’t he?
    Idris is apparently only interested in returning as Heimdall so I doubt he'll play Adam.

https://news.avclub.com/idris-elba-f...for-1837253746

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Idris is apparently only interested in returning as Heimdall so I doubt he'll play Adam.

https://news.avclub.com/idris-elba-f...for-1837253746

It's funny, cause I didn't think either Elba or Portman wanted to return to the MCU, but there seems to be a renewed interest in the Thor franchise.

As far as BM, my ideal casting is Denzel. Not that I think he'd necessarily be interested.

Ultimate Member

As much as I like Blue Marvel, I don't see the ability to really add him to the movie verse. Blue worked because he was/is in a canon where superhumans have been somewhat normalized since WW2. In the movies, Cap was the only known superhero until Iron Man and the Avengers came along (no one knew of Ant-man or Captain Marvel)

They'd definitely have to change his origins and make it something closer to MCU Captain Marvel.
    The issue with changes is, where is the line? At which point a "different version" of the character becomes a "whole different" character?

They could keep the racism issue, but not the "society shake" issue.
    In the MCU, the citizens can't know the existence of BM. Unless they change his origins so much (memory/reality rewriting) that they may as well do a black Sentry movie instead.
    He could be the scientist who discovered Negative Zone and Conner would be his assistant. Then government people come to the lab, decide there is no way they're giving the credits to a black guy and that the official story would be "Dr Conner Sims discovers the Negative Zone". Sims and Brashear are not ok with that, they argue with the governement people and they end up fighting in the lab. Explosion. Adam and Conner are sent into the Negative Zone and get powers.

After that, I can see three options.

1) Time flows differently in some parts of the N Zone. Adam and a mentay instable Conner emerge in the 2020s. I don't like this one because it's too much like the Ant-Man stories and I prefer Adam to be quite old like in the comics.

2) They were trapped in the Negative Zone all this time. During this time Adam fought Annihilus, Blastaar and Anti-Man. Or maybe he and Anti-Man were allies first, until Conner lost his sanity.
    Some event freed both Blue Marvel and Anti-Man from the Negative Zone.
    That would be the most credible option IMO but that would also mean that Adam spent most his life in the Negative Zone. I don't like that very much.

3) Adam was able to get out of the Negative Zone quite early. Anti-Man is still there, he is angry and crazy and wants to get out. So does Annihilus who now knows the way out.
    Adam has a device that allows him to know whenever they try an invasion and spent the 60 last decades repelling them every now and then.
    Why didn't he show up during the big crisis? Every time Negative Zone people trie to invade, it takes weeks, if not monthes to repell them. You could add some other secret threats he discovered since the 60s, like the Macronaut. Why didn't he show up to stop Thanos? Because Thanos only wanted to kill half the universe, while the Macronaut incursion was threatening the entire universe.
    That would be closer to the comics and allow Adam to live in Earth. But the "he was busy" explanation may sound a little too convenient.

Also the whole Negative Zone part would cut the ground from under the FF's feets. I wouldn't mean it, but since Marvel wants to include them in the MCU, they should keep the Negatove Zone.
    So make it the Neutral Zone from the beginning. After all, the threat of the Beyonders would justify even more than Annihilus that Adam had more serious business to deal with than Thanos.

Or, I just thought about a 4th option: Blue Marvel comes from a parallel universe where he is the only one super hero.
    Not sure I like it.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    They'd definitely have to change his origins and make it something closer to MCU Captain Marvel.
    The issue with changes is, where is the line? At which point a "different version" of the character becomes a "whole different" character?

In the MCU, the citizens can't know the existence of BM. Unless they change his origins so much (memory/reality rewriting) that they may as well do a black Sentry movie instead.
    He could be the scientist who discovered Negative Zone and Conner would be his assistant. Then government people come to the lab, decide there is no way they're giving the credits to a black guy and that the official story would be "Dr Conner Sims discovers the Negative Zone". Sims and Brashear are not ok with that, they argue with the governement people and they end up fighting in the lab. Explosion. Adam and Conner are sent into the Negative Zone and get powers.

1) Time flows differently in some parts of the N Zone. Adam and a mentay instable Conner emerge in the 2020s. I don't like this one because it's too much like the Ant-Man stories and I prefer Adam to be quite old like in the comics.

2) They were trapped in the Negative Zone all this time. During this time Adam fought Annihilus, Blastaar and Anti-Man. Or maybe he and Anti-Man were allies first, until Conner lost his sanity.
    That would be the most credible option IMO but that would also mean that Adam spent most his life in the Negative Zone. I don't like that very much.

3) Adam was able to get out of the Negative Zone quite early. Anti-Man is still there, he is angry and crazy and wants to get out. So does Annihilus who now knows the way out.
    Adam has a device that allows him to know whenever they try an invasion and spent the 60 last decades repelling them every now and then.
    Why didn't he show up during the big crisis? Every time Negative Zone people trie to invade, it takes weeks, if not monthes to repell them. You could add some other secret threats he discovered since the 60s, like the Macronaut. Why didn't he show up to stop Thanos? Because Thanos only wanted to kill half the universe, while the Macronaut incursion was threatening the entire universe.
    That would be closer to the comics and allow Adam to live in Earth. But the "he was busy" explanation may sound a little too convenient.

Also the whole Negative Zone part would cut the ground from under the FF's feets. I wouldn't mean it, but since Marvel wants to include them in the MCU, they should keep the Negatove Zone.
    So make it the Neutral Zone from the beginning. After all, the threat of the Beyonders would justify even more than Annihilus that Adam had more serious business to deal with than Thanos.

Or, I just thought about a 4th option: Blue Marvel comes from a parallel universe where he is the only one super hero.
    Not sure I like it.
    I think the fact that he's so similar to MCU Captain Marvel is almost a problem.

Aside from the obvious issue of them having similar names and somewhat similar powersets, they're both heroes from the past whom everyone sort of forgot about.

I sort of think he works better somewhere on the TV side of things, just so Adam and Carol aren't compared side by side to the same degree.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think the fact that he's so similar to MCU Captain Marvel is almost a problem.

Aside from the obvious issue of them having similar names and somewhat similar powersets, they're both heroes from the past whom everyone sort of forgot about.

I sort of think he works better somewhere on the TV side of things, just so Adam and Carol aren't compared side by side to the same degree.
    No one forgot about Carol at all.

No one simply knew about her

In comics, superheroes are common and save the world all day, every day. In the movies, they save the world once in a while and there are a great deal fewer of them. Given that, I don't see how it would be credible to believe that people just forgot about a superman level guy who used to be around but isn't anymore.

I think Blue would work best in a stand alone movie, IMO

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post

Not sure I like it.
    I can totally get behind that.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    I was literally just thinking about this last night when I was bouncing ideas around in my head. In all honesty, I think Adam's intelligence and powerset are the factors that keep writers away from him as well. If I were asked to write something for Blue, I'd have to either: A) Change my college major to theoretical physics, etc. to at least partially understand the nature powers (beyond what we've been told) and get an idea of his intelligence, or B) Write him as a typical flying brick with energy, not really showing off the character's full potential and what makes him unique among the powerhouses.

With guys like Thor, Superman, Sentry, etc, you don't have to explain the science behind their powers because it's: A) Simple and straightforward, dude's just strong af, B) It's sci-fi fluff that people will just go along with and not ask many questions about it, or C) Magic. Also, some of the guys mentioned may be classified as super geniuses, but again, you don't have to have the same knowledge or booksmarts that they have, you can write them as average joes slugging it out, maybe showing some signs of superior stratagem, but not much and not often. Either that or again, just say the stuff's far more advanced than humans can comprehend even though we all know it's just more sci-fi fluff.
    With Adam it's always going to be the motivation behind how his powers and intelligence is used. It's why I always say that as long as his next writer pens him like Batman with Superman's powers, you can't go wrong. I mean just imagine what Bruce would have done when the President, even one as progressive as Kennedy, told him to put away the cowl and batarangs indefinitely. It just wouldn't happen. But Adam lacks Bruce's tragedy and therefore his convictions and personal crusade. Or so we think. If anything, I think the next writer for Adam should start there. Forget the powers, show me why Adam needed to be the Blue Marvel. And then show me how the world suffered because he couldn't be the Blue Marvel. Those plot points need to be established and connected before anyone will buy into Adam's story, I think.

File under, "More (Possible) Allies of the Blue Marvel, circa 1960"...

In one of the create your own Fantastic Four threads I assembled a team made up of Adam and some of his 1960s contemporaries. The more I think about it, the more I think it would have been cool for Adam to have worked with a couple of the members of the All Winners Squad. (Aside from Namor.) I picked Madeline Joyce, since she was originally Marvel's flagship femme extraordinaire, but one who received less than ideal treatment from later writers. Given that she first gained her powers as a teen in the early 1940s, it shouldn't be too difficult to get her in the same time window as Adam. She'd be in her early 40s when Adam first got his powers. Would it work? If not as his mentor, perhaps his Mrs. Robinson. (Dating myself, here, with The Graduate reference.)

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4510247
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 08-18-2019 at 10:52 PM.

Such wasted potential.

Blue Marvel appears on this list as well:

Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    In comics, superheroes are common and save the world all day, every day. In the movies, they save the world once in a while and there are a great deal fewer of them. Given that, I don't see how it would be credible to believe that people just forgot about a superman level guy who used to be around but isn't anymore.
    Even the comic book story is difficult to completely accept. Based on what we know at that time the world and public at large had not seen anyone like Adam in terms of scale of power. Given that atomic war was one of the greatest fears globally, just knowing that there was a man who could easily survive a megaton nuclear missile exploding in his face would have been on the cover of every paper, news journal, tv show, etc., around the world. There's just no way that anyone forgets that. Ever. You might forget who the Beatles or Rolling Stones are, or Muhammed Ali's birthname, but you don't forget hearing about the one guy who can survive a nuclear holocaust, especially if he's American. The Cold War would have changed dramatically on that basis alone.

But who's to say that Adam truly exists? Maybe he's the creation of a really powerful reality warper. One who wanted to create a noble hero for the world that looked like him.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Even the comic book story is difficult to completely accept. Based on what we know at that time the world and public at large had not seen anyone like Adam in terms of scale of power. Given that atomic war was one of the greatest fears globally, just knowing that there was a man who could easily survive a megaton nuclear missile exploding in his face would have been on the cover of every paper, news journal, tv show, etc., around the world. There's just no way that anyone forgets that. Ever. You might forget who the Beatles or Rolling Stones are, or Muhammed Ali's birthname, but you don't forget hearing about the one guy who can survive a nuclear holocaust, especially if he's American. The Cold War would have changed dramatically on that basis alone.

But who's to say that Adam truly exists? Maybe he's the creation of a really powerful reality warper. One who wanted to create a noble hero for the world that looked like him.
    Namor is roughly the closest you've got and he's more unstable then Adam.

I'd personally play Adam as "Supermans powers in a Doc Savage body". He goes on thrilling pulpy interdimensional adventures for knowledge, rare minerals or fun. The foes aren't about hitting him but outsmarting him. Think a saner silver age superman.

To anybody interested in collectibles here, if Hasbro gets around to making a Blue Marvel figure in the Marvel Legends line, which version would you want them to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    To anybody interested in collectibles here, if Hasbro gets around to making a Blue Marvel figure in the Marvel Legends line, which version would you want them to use?
    His original costume (the one he wore in his mini-series), and then the Mighty Avengers costume as a variant. I love it when he wears the cape.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi