Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think the point is to help prop up Kamala rather thsn the characters she's with. Not that she isn't already a break through character, but I think they REALLY want her to blow up.

And yeah... way guys in limbo tend to get out is when a popular writer adopts them as a pet character. Ewing seems to like Adam, so I'm hoping he gets a shot at the main Avengers book one day. I think there's a good chance he would push Adam.
    Someone call me when Kamala Harris appears as a guest star in one of Kamala Khan's books. I have a feeling she's going to meet the senator one day.

As for Ewing and Blue, I take Al at his word that he feels like he's gone as far as he can go with Adam. Could that change? Sure. Sometimes a writer needs a hiatus from a character in order to get the juices flowing again. But I don't think that is the case, here. Ewing has reached the point where he could ask to write a Blue Marvel series, and they'd let him. Or he could feature Blue Marvel as the alpha in a team book, and they'd let him. That there aren't any projects like that in the works tells us all that we need to know. The next substantive treatment of Adam will come from a new writer.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Someone call me when Kamala Harris appears as a guest star in one of Kamala Khan's books. I have a feeling she's going to meet the senator one day.

As for Ewing and Blue, I take Al at his word that he feels like he's gone as far as he can go with Adam. Could that change? Sure. Sometimes a writer needs a hiatus from a character in order to get the juices flowing again. But I don't think that is the case, here. Ewing has reached the point where he could ask to write a Blue Marvel series, and they'd let him. Or he could feature Blue Marvel as the alpha in a team book, and they'd let him. That there aren't any projects like that in the works tells us all that we need to know. The next substantive treatment of Adam will come from a new writer.
    And to be honest Ewing didn't really do a good job writing Blue Marvel to begin with. He was meant to be a powerhouse but Ewing mostly wrote him as reed Richards akin. I want a new writer who knows what Blue Marvel was meant for, the powerhouse figure that's so lacking for black characters currently.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    And to be honest Ewing didn't really do a good job writing Blue Marvel to begin with. He was meant to be a powerhouse but Ewing mostly wrote him as reed Richards akin. I want a new writer who knows what Blue Marvel was meant for, the powerhouse figure that's so lacking for black characters currently.
    No doubt, it was painfully obvious that Al was going to write his version of Blue Marvel within deliberate parameters. That's to be expected, given a character that is a godlike paragon rife with every conceivable superlative. In doing so, though, he gambled that we would like his interpretation of the character. He gloriously misjudged the core Blue Marvel fans, but to his credit, there are certainly more Blue Marvel fans now than there were before Al first started scripting him.

I suspect the next writer will face a similar challenge of portraying Blue Marvel in a light that satisfies editorial dictates (i.e., thou shalt not have a Blue Marvel greater than other pet characters on the team) and fans alike. In case there are some out there willing to pitch the character, maybe we should come up with a list of 5-10 things that they should keep, and 5-10 things that should be discarded? You know, help them out a bit.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”

~James Baldwin

I feel like it's a waiting game for the MCU at this point.

So what 5 elements would any of you guys drop or change about Blue Marvel if you have to write his next book?

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    So what 5 elements would any of you guys drop or change about Blue Marvel if you have to write his next book?
    Very interesting question and to be honest it is a tough one to answer. First thing i would change of course would be him laying down for the government. Since we can't undo it I would just say that the government had telepaths that compelled Adam to go along with the government's wishes. Second thing would be the gray streaks in his hair, dude should not age at all with his powers. Third I would make Adam a universal constant ala Galactus or Thanos just to cement his importance to the multiverse at large. Hmmm yeah that's about all I can think of atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    Adam is in a bit of a tough spot because the MCU pretty much jacked the high points of his narrative and gave it to Captain Marvel, along with the perfect alley oop for it. i.e. all powerful character who predates most other earth heroes but remained completely unheard of and MIA this whole time... until a game-changing threat appears! The distinction (or devil) is in the details but high-level wise Carol got the nod and the Thanos-stimulus package for added affect.

Which doesn't mean Adam can't or wouldn't be in the MCU, but who knows what direction they'll take. They may introduce him as part of an ensemble space flick with other cosmic heavy hitters (not unlike what this revamped GotG book is) and only hint on his Earth ties.. or they may just say screw it and do a solo movie where they switch up somethings (or a lot of things).
    Black Panther vs Thor
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baO2V3qTuMc&t=3s
    Ref: Avengers Assemble Season 5: Black Panther Quest Ep13

Invincible Member

I don't know if these count as changes per se, but...

1) First and foremost, establish that even though he "retired" BM was still going on adventures. These stories can run the gambit from pulp style adventures to hard science fiction to social drama.

2) Do not de-age him. He has grown kids walking around. There is nothing to be gained by drawing him to look like a 30 yr old.

3) Bring his daughter back into the picture and strengthen his family ties. Give him a support cast that includes non-supers.

4) Do not lose the social/political aspect of the character or the first story. We don't want to run it into the ground,but once in awhile when everyone else as forgotten about it, a new minor character might give BM the side-eye because of the 60's.

5) A rogues gallery of weird sci-fi concepts. This is probably the hardest to do, because not everyone is good at it and not every writer wants to give up their good ideas.

20190202_235815.jpg

Blue Marvel swag!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    Yeah, I feel that the more we see the Blue Marvel in other media like movies, the more we'll see of him in the comics.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 02-06-2019 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Yeah, I feel that the more we see the Blue Marvel in other media like movies, the more we'll see of him in the comics.
    That might even apply to Monica since they are dating. Monica beibg in a movie might make more likely she is used, and since they are togethet that could increase the odds Adam is used too.

Astonishing Member
    RIP MARVEL HEROES 04.06.2013 - 27.11.2017
    Transformers TCG player

I have many ideas(no surprise), but I'll offer just one:

1. Give him a cosmic purpose.

Get rid of the notion that he's some kind of hyper-vigilant global protector. He either missed, or was a nonfactor in just about every major event that's occurred on the planet even after coming out of retirement. Writers may show him as backdrop, but he'll never be a feature. No point in continuing the farce. Instead, give him a different purpose.

I like the idea of him continuing to explore the Neutral Zone and the "-verses" beyond ours.

I also think that the creator of the omniverse originally intended to have a Lifebringer. Someone needs to occupy that role. I'm not saying turn Adam into the Anti-Galactus, necessarily. But let's imagine that there is a lingering infection from First Firmament's chains which bound Eternity. The infection covers vast sectors of the cosmos, producing abstracts that are deleterious to all matter. Eternity senses it, but he can't "heal" himself. He first asks Owen Reece to deal with it, but the Molecule Man fails and is lost. So Eternity sends his agents (Galactus, the Ghost Shaper of Worlds and Numinus) to enlist Adam's aid. Each one imparts a fraction of their power to Adam, with Galan bequeathing the final spark of his Lifebringer powers. Adam sets off to heal the omniverse and deal with the neo-cosmic abstracts that seek to destroy it. Can Adam succeed where even the all powerful Molecule Man failed? If so, how?

That's the kind of Blue Marvel story that I'd like to read. A story with an enemy that challenges every iota of his intellect and abilities, and forces him to push his powers further than even he thought himself capable. And ultimately one with an outcome that might cost him his humanity.

~James Baldwin

1: Make him be more self assured. I can't stand the whole doubt/feeling inadequate he's played as sometimes
    2: I'd retcon that whole giving up being a superhero for the sake of the times. That would be the FIRST thing to go. I'd rather him leave Earth in disgust than sit around for years watching all kinds of things happen and doing nothing. Maybe it can be retconned that the Adam that stayed was a LMD or something more insidious that comes revealed when the real BM comes back.
    3: I'd drop the helmet and the cape...Marvel has a bad habit of giving it's Superman tropes capes.
    4: I'd make Adam more battle hardened and ruthless in battle. This is a guy who likes to fight and has gone up against some serious contenders. He'll be merciful but he WILL put you down. Kinda thinking a less arrogant (but equally brutal and strategically decisive) Vegeta here.
    5: I'd give him an enemy that isn't just one person...but an entire empire. And Adam is ready for them...he just knows the threat posed needs assistance. I loved the Adam KH fight but it was to much focused on Adam's doubts. Let's have these two go at it Frieza/Goku style. Let KH HATE Adam and have an army of people he throws at him but we all know they are gonna go at it.

Spectacular Member

First: Adam is the person who discovered the Nuetral Zone. Lets do something with that.

Second: Kevin is the first human being to enter and exit the omniverse. Lets do something with that.

Three: Adam is a scientist, and Monica is a marvel of science. Lets do something with that.

Four: Adam's daughter was in charge of creating an earthbound cosmic cube. Adam's son is or was running the science division of Avengers Idea Mechanics. Lets do something with that.

Fifth: Rogues. Doctor Centurious is chillin right now.
    They're both scientists, black, and have been around for eons. Lets do something with that.