Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

So, earlier in this thread I proposed an idea for an animated series starring Jackson, Koryak and Lorena. As I've given it more thought, I've amended it to include Neptune Perkins and Miya Shimada to the cast.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Miya_Shimada_(New_Earth)

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Neptune_Perkins_(New_Earth)

If Arthur decided to give us his mantle to focus solely on being King of Atlantis (should he ever get it back) but he passed the mantle on to someone else so that the League/surface world always had their Aqua-hero/Atlantean ambassador, who would you give it to?

Would you rather Garth become the new Aquaman? Or go super off-book and have Tula promoted to Aquawoman? I sometimes feel like there is always so much emphasis on Arthur and his "between two worlds" shtick that having him focus on one is the better end of the deal. Maybe give him his own book that focuses solely on Atlantis, expanding it, the other kingdoms, and really building that world up. The second book focuses on the successor making their own mark.

Mera is also always a viable option, as well as a hero in her own right, but she's never wanted that specific title. I also feel that with the baby on the way she'd want to spend a little more time with the family in Atlantis for the time being. Jackson is great but nowhere near ready.

I'm prone to Arthur not being king, for reasons I've discussed before. I'd really rather Atlantis's new ruler be someone who grew up there, who is of that culture. I don't like them being ruled by an "other" who has to civilize the fascist, xenophobic, aggressive Atlanteans. So, for me, Arthur would remain Aquaman, and let someone else be king.

I don't care for proteges taking their mentor's titles - I'd much rather they have their own titles (Tempest, etc.) and not just have hand-me-down ones. I think that splits fandoms (arguing over who's the "real" Aquaman, or the best Aquaman - see the infighting over Green Lanterns, Flashes, even Robins) and makes for confusing tags in fic/tumblr/twitter/etc., though I understand the branding aspect. But mostly, I disliked that the younger gen doesn't get to forge their own ways and choose their own titles - that taking the mentors the highest success be treated as the highest they can achieve instead of their own identities becoming just as famous and well-regarded.

I agree Jackson isn't anywhere near ready, and don't know this version of Tula or Garth very well at all. I liked the idea of Orm as not-a-villain, but that seemingly died.

5G, though, Jackson seems most likely. Just depends on whether they go with a Batman-like candidate (Luke, kind of out of left field) or Superman-like (Jon, son, fairly likely if he'd actually been grown, but he wasn't so they annoyingly aged him up).
    Last edited by Tzigone; 12-03-2019 at 04:09 PM.

Astonishing Member

Ocean Master: Year of the Villain was great.

I really like that guy. I think in the right hands he reads like DC's version of ... well, a lot of influences. Namor is the most obvious one. Aquaman is not Namor in spite of their shared backgrounds, personality-wise he's just not. Orm is DC's Namor. But he also reads a hell of a lot like Doctor Doom or Magneto, the most obvious parallels. Pitch perfect parallels, not surprising in the least. I still like the continued presence of Erin in his life, still think his Ivan Reis costume is 100% golden and should never change, and liked the subtle additions to his mythos here. He's also got a smidge of a like ... sympathetic jerk vibe akin to a Jaime Lannister type going on, which plays extra well.

Ocean Master played well in the film, too, but I think there was an over the top element of camp to that which isn't present in the books. He's both overblown and understated here. A real dark prince ... with real dark impulses but a real noble streak. With the ability to learn, and curiosity - traits of a hero's journey - but plenty of privilege and disdain and cynicism as well. But it plays as world-weary. It's an interesting flip where Aquaman, our protagonist, is more the sardonic "Lancer", the free-wheeling relies on wits and luck cowboy Harrison Ford archetype. Ocean Master is more the paragon, the idealistic Luke Skywalker ... typically on the right side ideally, morally, but using the wrong judgment or having a skewed set of choices to get where he needs to go.

You could paint Mera as a convincing third-pillar type. Plenty of Princess Leia vibes there. Black Manta is overtly the man in black gunslinger or evil black knight archetype, bent on revenge and clouded by hatred, the total Darth Vader.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Ocean Master: Year of the Villain was great.

I really like that guy. I think in the right hands he reads like DC's version of ... well, a lot of influences. Namor is the most obvious one. Aquaman is not Namor in spite of their shared backgrounds, personality-wise he's just not. Orm is DC's Namor. But he also reads a hell of a lot like Doctor Doom or Magneto, the most obvious parallels. Pitch perfect parallels, not surprising in the least. I still like the continued presence of Erin in his life, still think his Ivan Reis costume is 100% golden and should never change, and liked the subtle additions to his mythos here. He's also got a smidge of a like ... sympathetic jerk vibe akin to a Jaime Lannister type going on, which plays extra well.

Ocean Master played well in the film, too, but I think there was an over the top element of camp to that which isn't present in the books. He's both overblown and understated here. A real dark prince ... with real dark impulses but a real noble streak. With the ability to learn, and curiosity - traits of a hero's journey - but plenty of privilege and disdain and cynicism as well. But it plays as world-weary. It's an interesting flip where Aquaman, our protagonist, is more the sardonic "Lancer", the free-wheeling relies on wits and luck cowboy Harrison Ford archetype. Ocean Master is more the paragon, the idealistic Luke Skywalker ... typically on the right side ideally, morally, but using the wrong judgment or having a skewed set of choices to get where he needs to go.

You could paint Mera as a convincing third-pillar type. Plenty of Princess Leia vibes there. Black Manta is overtly the man in black gunslinger or evil black knight archetype, bent on revenge and clouded by hatred, the total Darth Vader.
    Ocean Master and Namor both ironically got pretty insane powerups this year given that Year of The Villain issue. I wonder if this means we’ll finally see what Aquaman’a gifts from the gods are

I’m getting tired of all these underwater nations and no mention to Etriax btw ��

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Hot damn, OCEAN MASTER was a great read. I want more of him, and Dan Watters on the Atlantean side of the DCU.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

AQUAMAN #58
    written by KELLY SUE DeCONNICK
    art and cover by ROBSON ROCHA
    variant cover by JEREMY ROBERTS

There’s a baby in the water, and the sharks are circling! Mera lies comatose following the birth of her child, and when it becomes clear that he who has the royal baby has royal power, Aquaman must flee with his young daughter. But will he be able to escape Ocean Master, who’s been sharpening his trident as well as his plans for takeover with a loyal new army at his back? The hunt is on…and everything Arthur holds dear hangs in the balance!
    ON SALE 03.18.20
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    FC | DC
    This issue will ship with two covers.
    Please see the order form for details.

ELDORIS IS THAT YOU???

Worst writer to ever write Mera is KSD.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Given the current stance on the Beyond future isn't it more likely that Aquababy is Mareena?
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    AQUAMAN #58
    written by KELLY SUE DeCONNICK
    art and cover by ROBSON ROCHA
    variant cover by JEREMY ROBERTS

There’s a baby in the water, and the sharks are circling! Mera lies comatose following the birth of her child, and when it becomes clear that he who has the royal baby has royal power, Aquaman must flee with his young daughter. But will he be able to escape Ocean Master, who’s been sharpening his trident as well as his plans for takeover with a loyal new army at his back? The hunt is on…and everything Arthur holds dear hangs in the balance!
    ON SALE 03.18.20
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    FC | DC
    This issue will ship with two covers.
    Please see the order form for details.

ELDORIS IS THAT YOU???
    Eldoris!!!!

I am so happy.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 12-13-2019 at 05:57 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Eldoris Curry has entered the chat.

That's awesome. KSD has continued the recent tradition of solid Aquaman since 2011 and considering she fought editorial to keep love triangles out as well as to get the baby, I pretty much trust her by this point. She and Robson have been delivering each month.