Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

And these issue Wolverine are why I'm mad Jess wasn't in the Hunt for Wolverine
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

BANNED

Spider-Woman #13 Apr 1979
    "Suddenly...the Shroud!"
    Leaving for Las Vegas, Magnus bids farewell to his friends Jessica Drew and Jerry Hunt.
    After Magnus's departure, Jerry informs Jessica that SHIELD wants him back on assignment and drops Jessica off at home.
    Jessica begins to ponder over what she should do for employment.
    After a night out as Spider-Woman, Jessica begins job hunting and finds that
    people's negative reactions towards her make the jobs she applies for not last.
    Wondering what's wrong, she decides to go to the Hatros Institute for Emotional Research to try and figure out why.
    As a stroke of luck, after her first session, she is offered a job as a receptionist at the Institute.

As Jerry Hunt receives mission orders to find two missing SHIELD agents, Jessica begins her job as a receptionist.
    Hearing a strange noise, she goes to investigate and is knocked out by the Shroud,
    who is investigating the Hatros Institute because he suspects they are tied with the Cult of Kali.

Reviving, Jessica changes into Spider-Woman and counter-attacks the Shroud,
    and after a brief battle, she easily defeats him, knocking him out with a venom blast.
    Carrying his unconscious body through a therapy room,

she is shocked to find it filled with members of the very cult that the Shroud had come looking for.

Script by Mark Gruenwald, pencils by Carmine Infantino, inks by Al Gordon

BANNED

Wolverine #6 Apr 1989
    "Roughhouse!"
    Karma has traveled to the royal home of Prince Baran, ruler of Madripoor hoping
    to free the captured Lindsay McCabe, Jessica Drew and Tyger Tiger.
    Feigning having a stalled car she uses her possession abilities to take control of one of the palace guards to get inside.
    However, her awe at the Prince's wealth causes her control over the palace guard to slip.
    Before he can capture her he is knocked out by Patch, who has broken into the castle with Archie Corrigan who are on the same mission as she.
    As they sneak through the castle, Karma explains her situation, telling Patch that she started working for her corrupt uncle because her siblings
    had gone missing and after exhausting all other resources she hoped that her uncle's underworld contacts might prove useful in finding them.
    Finding that the moral price of siding with her uncle to be too high,
    she had decided to turn on him and redeem herself by saving Jessica and the others.
    As they travel through the court yard they almost stumble into the grasp of a tentacled creature that the prince has living in his fountain.

Elsewhere in the castle, Lindsay and Jessica are prisoners of Coy, and have been
    forced into slave clothes for his, Bloodscream and Roughhouse's personal amusements.

Despite their capture Coy has kept the women alive for two reasons: the first to make them suffer for getting in his way,
    and second to try and force them to give up the key to the indestructible suit of armor they have placed Tyger Tiger in.
    Coy's minions at first do not believe the armor from Landau, Luckman and Lake
    to be indestructible but soon learn the truth when they attempt to breach it.
    When they refuse to play ball, Coy is about to hurt Lindsay when Patch suddenly enters the room
    and slashes Bloodscream's throat, seemingly killing him in the process. Patch is then attacked by Roughhouse,
    who manages to knock Patch out of the palace through a wall, but Logan takes him down by stabbing him in the gut with his claws.
    As he enters the room to go after Coy, Bloodscream (having healed from his attack) grabs hold of Patch and starts draining his blood.
    However before he can sap all of Logan's blood he is taken under the control of Karma.

As Patch struggles to get back into the fight, Roughhouse tosses him outside and goes after him.
    When Bloodscream breaks free of Karma's control Archie attempts to bluff Coy into surrendering by threatening to shoot his niece.
    Coy calls his bluff and distracts Archie long enough for Bloodscream to get near and disarm him.
    As Logan battles Roughhouse outside, Jessica attempts to fight Bloodscream. When she realizes his very touch can make her bleed
    she is assisted by the revived Tyger Tiger. With Tyger safe from Bloodscream's blood-draining abilities, Jessica goes outside

to help Patch battle Roughhouse. There the trio of combatants are grabbed by the creature.
    However Patch manages to cut them free with his claws.

Inside Tyger manages to knock out Bloodscream sending Coy fleeing to seek cover.
    Calling for Roughhouse the would-be crime czar is shocked to find that Jessica and Logan have knocked him out as well.
    Logan is about to slay Coy when he is stopped by the arrival of Prince Baran and his palace guard,
    who tells them that only he has the power to call for an execution in his own palace.

Written by Chris Claremont. Art by John Buscema and Al Williamson.

BANNED

Spider-Woman #14 May 1979
    "Cults and Robbers" First appearance of Lindsay McCabe.
    Surrounded by followers of the Cult of Kali, Spider-Woman is forced to drop the Shroud's unconscious body to defend herself.
    During the fight she fights off the Cult members, but suddenly the room goes black momentarily, and the Shroud disappears.
    Changing back to Jessica Drew, Spider-Woman calls the police but finds
    that the cult members are missing after she goes back in to check on them.
    While Jessica is interrogated for three hours, Jerry Hunt and his fellow SHIELD agents go looking for their missing members, to no avail.

The next day, Jessica takes part in another group session at the Hatros Institute,

unaware that its owner Adrienne Hatros is taking a secret interest in her.
    After the session, Jessica decides to look into the strange emblem that the members of the Cult and the Shroud had in common.
    She learns that it's a depiction of the Indian god Kali, the Goddess of death and destruction.
    Going on to research more, she tries to see the Jade Idol of Kali but learns that it has been stolen.

Figuring it's a lead in her case, Jessica goes to a seedy bar down by the waterfront.
    There, as Spider-Woman, she pressures some thugs into revealing who stole the idol.

Following the thieves to their boat, Spider-Woman fights them all and easily defeats each one.
    When she questions the leader, he tells her that they stole the idol to try and sell it.
    However, the item was too hot to sell to their usual fence.
    Spider-Woman realizes that these common crooks have nothing to do with the cult and returns home.

After a shower, and pondering what her next move is, she's suddenly visited by the Shroud who has appeared in her home.

Script by Mark Gruenwald, pencils by Carmine Infantino, inks by Al Gordon

I appreciate Jessica Drew
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Why did her series end in the 1980s? And why was she sidelined after that? Claremont ended up using her a little in an arc of the first Wolverine solo series, but beyond that, she was invisible.

There is a thread dedicated to Spider-Woman over in the main Marvel forum just an FYI.

And Jessica's series ended due to low sales and being inconsisten if I recall correctly. Plus, she was killed off at the end of her series but they revived her not long after in the Avengers. Julia was introduced in the interim so Marvel focused on her instead.

Bendis brought her back, but right when Marvel was really trying to push Jess and revive her, Spider-Gwen came along and stole any thunder Jessica's return to a solo could've had. Also, it was canceled 40 years after her first appearance. Nice huh?
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

It probably wasn't the best move having Spider-Gwen, Silk, and Spider-Woman all launch at about the same time. Though I did think all three books were decent. Jessica and Cindy both did well to last as long as they did.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It probably wasn't the best move having Spider-Gwen, Silk, and Spider-Woman all launch at about the same time. Though I did think all three books were decent. Jessica and Cindy both did well to last as long as they did.
    That is the truth. We got 27 issues total from Spider-Woman, which isn't bad considering (I'm combining both the Pre and Post secret wars runs)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I agree. The introduction of Silk and Spider-Gwen derailed Jessica badly. Nick Lowe wanted to have Jessica Drew in Spider-Man's world and wanted to give the character as much exposure as possible. If that was the case, he should have made Slott use Spider-Woman(instead of Silk) in ASM (vol. 3) against The Black Cat and Electro. What was worse is the fact that Nick Lowe hired a writer who wanted nothing to do with Spider-Man's world at all, which is sad considering the ASM has the largest base of readers who could have easily supported Spider-Woman's series in terms of sales. I rarely every see Peter and Jessica working together outside of The Avengers. Dennis Hopeless let this opportunity slipped him by.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I agree. The introduction of Silk and Spider-Gwen derailed Jessica badly. Nick Lowe wanted to have Jessica Drew in Spider-Man's world and wanted to give the character as much exposure as possible. If that was the case, he should have made Slott use Spider-Woman(instead of Silk) in ASM (vol. 3) against The Black Cat and Electro. What was worse is the fact that Nick Lowe hired a writer who wanted nothing to do with Spider-Man's world at all, which is sad considering the ASM has the largest base of readers who could have easily supported Spider-Woman's series in terms of sales. I rarely every see Peter and Jessica working together outside of The Avengers. Dennis Hopeless let this opportunity slipped him by.
    Exactly, Jessica has certainly gotten a raw deal in recent years. Let us hope that soon changes. *crosses fingers*
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Yeah and thats why I really don't consider her apart of the Spider-Man family as much as I should. Im pretty sure besides their time in the Avengers in Dark reign Peter and Jessica haven't have that many team-ups. Its like she associated with him only by name
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

But that's why I like Jessica - because she has NOTHING to do with Peter. The Spider-Man books (and Peter himself) don't really appeal to me. I much prefer the Avengers and stories like Daredevil and Jessica Jones. I think Jessica fits in with them more than she ever would fit in with Spider-Man. Not that they haven't had opportunities to bring her more in line with it. I feel like they really dropped the ball with Jessica in Spidergeddon. She should have had a much bigger role - I feel like after what she did to Morlun in Spider-Verse, he'd want revenge on her too. And then there's the whole "Inheritors can't eat her thing" because she's the most radioactive of them all.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    But that's why I like Jessica - because she has NOTHING to do with Peter. The Spider-Man books (and Peter himself) don't really appeal to me. I much prefer the Avengers and stories like Daredevil and Jessica Jones. I think Jessica fits in with them more than she ever would fit in with Spider-Man. Not that they haven't had opportunities to bring her more in line with it. I feel like they really dropped the ball with Jessica in Spidergeddon. She should have had a much bigger role - I feel like after what she did to Morlun in Spider-Verse, he'd want revenge on her too. And then there's the whole "Inheritors can't eat her thing" because she's the most radioactive of them all.
    Everyone seem to forget one important element regarding Spider-Woman and Spider-Man. I do not want Jessica Drew in Spider-Man's world because she's Spider-Woman. I want to see Jessica Drew as a reoccurring guest in Spider-Man's world because on a personal level there are potential stories that would coincide with Peter's allies(Black Cat and Silver Sable) and his rogues(Kingpin and Tombstone). I feel that Peter could help Jessica in her world as a supporting cast on a reoccurring guestspot.

I long to see Jessica having a past history with the Black Cat(long before she met Spider-Man) and The Hobgoblin. This is the type of relationship that I want to see Jessica involved with in Spider-Man's world. There are so many ways to make Jessica Drew's adventures interesting(without tagging Spider-Man) to the Spider-Man readers. Jessica could even become as big as Wolverine and Deadpool under a good writer who knows how to craft a story that will bring the readers to the her series. The goal is to start off with Spider-Man with a story that will bring the Spidey readers over to her book, like The Black Cat...

I feel that keeping Jessica Drew away from Spider-Man just because she's Spider-Woman is dumb. It never bothered Julia Carpenter(The 2nd Spider-Woman). I like Jessica because her persona and her detective work are the reason to why she's different from Spider-Man. Another benefit her friendship with Peter is that he could create a Spider-device that would allow Jessica to amplify her Venom Blast....
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 06-07-2019 at 11:46 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Yeah and thats why I really don't consider her apart of the Spider-Man family as much as I should. Im pretty sure besides their time in the Avengers in Dark reign Peter and Jessica haven't have that many team-ups. Its like she associated with him only by name
    I think that associating Jessica Spider-Woman codename with Spider-Man is just plain wrong on Marvel's part. There is so much potential for Jessica and Peter to do so much more together, which would help her character a great deal. There are so many allies and enemies of Spider-Man who might work out better in the world of Spider-Woman like Tombstone and The Jackal(Miles Warren). She should be part of the Spider-Family because she brings a dynamic that's different from all of the other Spider-Women such as Silk, Julia Carpenter, Anya, and Mattie Franklin for example.