Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Not really?

It really isn't. It's me reading the room. The ending of the series and now the subsequent follow-up all point to that.

More like they eventually put an end to the push they'd been doing for several years because the sales just weren't that great. It sucks, but it happens. But again, that was the point of the ending of DOTI and the frequent comparisons to the fall of the Roman Empire. The push and status quo that began with Inhumanity is over.
    It's been three years since the "push" that lasted 2 years and 2 books. I get people used them as scapegoats for a lot of things based on their own cynicism and neophobia.

A lot of people like what came out of inhumanity, such as Ms. Marvel and the new inhuman lore. Cates's mini-series was a weak ending that ignored characters' history and their powers, and we could ignore it all together. They just killed a lot of inhumans (but they aren't extinct), and told us what was going on with the House of Agon. Nothing more. They end of the inhumans' run was IVX.

I may ignore DOTI bc I think Royals was a better way to end the Inhumans run
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    It's been three years since the "push" that lasted 2 years and 2 books. I get people used them as scapegoats for a lot of things based on their own cynicism and neophobia.

A lot of people like what came out of inhumanity, such as Ms. Marvel and the new inhuman lore. Cates's mini-series was a weak ending that ignored characters' history and their powers, and we could ignore it all together. They just killed a lot of inhumans (but they aren't extinct), and told us what was going on with the House of Agon. Nothing more. They end of the inhumans' run was IVX.
    I mean, yeah, you could ignore it, but their continued absence 6 months on would suggest that's where Marvel has decided to take the characters. Hence why I said in spite of all the blame people are throwing at Cates, this entire thing seemed like a very blatant editorial mandate to close the book on the Inhuman push and the Inhumanity era of the franchise.

Incredible Member

I must be in the minority, but I loved Death of the Inhumans. The last issue was weak because it never really explained Vox, but I thought the Royal Family was more in character than they had been in years. I'm biased though, because I've always really loved the Royal Family and don't care at all about the Nu-Humans, but the mini wasn't nearly as bad as a lot of people think.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

FWIW, I don't think we can judge the behind the scenes of whether it was Cates idea, forced on Cates, etc. from the ending. I think the ending was weak because he got given a whole bunch of work all at once and couldn't focus on polishing the story.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    It's been three years since the "push" that lasted 2 years and 2 books.
    Inhuman
    Uncanny Inhumans
    All New Inhumans
    Karnak
    Black Bolt
    Secret Warriors
    Royals
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    I must be in the minority, but I loved Death of the Inhumans. The last issue was weak because it never really explained Vox, but I thought the Royal Family was more in character than they had been in years. I'm biased though, because I've always really loved the Royal Family and don't care at all about the Nu-Humans, but the mini wasn't nearly as bad as a lot of people think.
    For all the salt that I have for the book I do like the first three chapters are good. Vox came off as terrifying, and I wanted to know more about him. It almost made up for taking out Ronan right after he got his groove back in Royals. After that I have a lot of complaints but high among them is Vox just leaving in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    I have to be honest and say that I am one of the readers that was very disappointed by DOTI. However, it did have elements that I thought worked very well.

What bothered me was the complete omission of Black Bolt's other powers. I do not like it when writers choose to ignore that Black Bolt is still a threat without his voice. I was also quite disappointed that the Royal family really didn't get to do anything in what was to be their final story for the foreseeable future. For example, Triton was killed without getting a moment to shine, Medusa was taken out by shrapnel and effectively didn't do anything the entire event either, and there are more such instances.

Usually I am a fan of the Inhumans teaming up with others, but since this was their "last hurrah" it felt a little disrespectful and let me down as a fan that the effectively had to be saved by an outside player.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    FWIW, I don't think we can judge the behind the scenes of whether it was Cates idea, forced on Cates, etc. from the ending. I think the ending was weak because he got given a whole bunch of work all at once and couldn't focus on polishing the story.
    Oh, I don't think it was forced on Cates because of the quality of the ending. My problems with the ending largely stem from me feeling it was rushed and could've used another issue at least to land (particularly the reveal of the kidnapped Inhumans being turned into Voxes and sent against Black Bolt). My feeling that there was a strong editorial component to the book and ending stems from the way it feels like a deliberate ending to the current era of Inhumans books that basically put the characters on ice for the foreseeable future. I keep calling back to the final line comparing the Royals to the way Rome still continued in some form after the Roman Empire was destroyed because that sounds like a very deliberate message of "The current status quo is over, but these characters will eventually be back in some capacity."

In that sense it reminds me a lot of the Ragnarok storyline that preceded JMS' Thor. Maybe we've got a relaunch centered around the Royals coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Cates said that Marvel gave him carte blanche on Death, he just had to get people talking about the franchise. So the ending is the way it is because he wanted it that way and it leads to his cosmic plans. Sales on Death looked solid enough to justify an ongoing again, they will certainly try something, but we have to wait on his plans because he is the new cosmic architect and everything revolves around Guardians. In the meantime, let us be good children and suck the teat of Cebulski as he nourishes us with four Conan titles and half a dozen Peter Parker titles.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    I have to be honest and say that I am one of the readers that was very disappointed by DOTI. However, it did have elements that I thought worked very well.

What bothered me was the complete omission of Black Bolt's other powers. I do not like it when writers choose to ignore that Black Bolt is still a threat without his voice. I was also quite disappointed that the Royal family really didn't get to do anything in what was to be their final story for the foreseeable future. For example, Triton was killed without getting a moment to shine, Medusa was taken out by shrapnel and effectively didn't do anything the entire event either, and there are more such instances.

Usually I am a fan of the Inhumans teaming up with others, but since this was their "last hurrah" it felt a little disrespectful and let me down as a fan that the effectively had to be saved by an outside player.
    My thoughts exactly. I don't understand why they would go to Beta Ray Bill when their people were dying. They have a lot of allies from all the teams they've been on and people they've worked with. The FF did it. There was an alleged murder spree and they went to one person? And they never revelead who Vox was. Who was the first one who was "born inhuman"? And Crystal is more powerful than he wrote her to be.

https://www.gameinformer.com/exclusi...ate-alliance-3

Crystal can be seen in the new gameinformer video, highlighting a boss fight with Venom and Elektro. Unfortunately, Crystal only uses fire abilities in this video, but it's nice to finally see her a bit in action!

Her character model looks really nice and her movements are very elegant and feminine. I like what I am seeing so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    https://www.gameinformer.com/exclusi...ate-alliance-3

Crystal can be seen in the new gameinformer video, highlighting a boss fight with Venom and Elektro. Unfortunately, Crystal only uses fire abilities in this video, but it's nice to finally see her a bit in action!

Her character model looks really nice and her movements are very elegant and feminine. I like what I am seeing so far.
    She looks great. I hope they give her more than just fire. I can't help but compare this game to Marvel Future Fight where her (and everyone else's) powers are displayed really well.

Nothing new with the Royal family in August but kid Kaijuu got a one shot.