Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I didn't read it, didn't want to and I know it was awful for the Inhumans.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    How did fans receive Death of Inhumans in general? A return to the essential core for the IP? Regression? An exciting story with twists and great action? An over-the-top punishment for a failed publicity push?

I just read it. It was pretty brutal.
    I am a huge Inhumans fan and as such I was going into it very biased and I have to say I hated it. I like the idea of these renegade Kree extremists that want to put an end to the Inhumans, because it makes sense. But I hated the execution of the story. I really disliked how useless the Royal Family was throughout the entire series. Medusa, Crystal and Karnak along with Black Bolt have over the decades been built up and shown to be very formiddible and capable of holding their own and they did absolutely NOTHING.

Black Bolt was the most effective character in the series, but even in his case his other powers were completely ignored. He lost his voice so he is no longer considered a real threat? Sorry, but his ability to control the electrons around him, shoot blasts and use the Master Blow, etc. were all ignored and it is a shame.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

How did fans receive Death of Inhumans in general? A return to the essential core for the IP? Regression? An exciting story with twists and great action? An over-the-top punishment for a failed publicity push?

I think it was underwhelming and led to nowhere with unnecessary deaths for shock value. The writer nerfed them by having them not use their powers at all, shoehorned in Betta Ray Bill, and had a boring end battle that finished the book abruptly. It didn't take them back to basics because after Infinity they'll never be the same. They've grown over the years and killing four essential inhumans isn't going to erase that. Plus, they're a species that can procreate and have children. The Terran inhumans are fine. The Kree didn't hurt those.

That’s essentially what it was at the end of the day. Ever since Marvel got the rights to mutants back they just said “been nice knowing ya” to the inhumans. I can only hope the upcoming avengers game reinvigorates interest for them since it has the terrigen crystal in it. And if it does, maybe marvel can do them the right way this time around.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    That’s essentially what it was at the end of the day. Ever since Marvel got the rights to mutants back they just said “been nice knowing ya” to the inhumans. I can only hope the upcoming avengers game reinvigorates interest for them since it has the terrigen crystal in it. And if it does, maybe marvel can do them the right way this time around.
    At the end they wanted to use them as they were originally intended to be, a super soldier Kree army. It was weird because the ones they "killed" turned into soldiers, but they also really killed other ones. Why did the Kree waste some who disobeyed, but not others? It was one of the plot holes in the story. Don't forget there are still two inhuman books, Ms Marvel and Moongirl, and Kid Kaiju is getting a mini soon. And Attilan appeared in Marvel Rising along with other new inhumans.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    Don't forget there are still two inhuman books, Ms Marvel and Moongirl, and Kid Kaiju is getting a mini soon. And Attilan appeared in Marvel Rising along with other new inhumans.
    Yeah, I was mainly talking about the royal family when I was talking about the inhumans getting shafted. And they’re doing something new with Kei? That’s nice, haven’t seen him in a while.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

DC admitted he wasn't suited for the property, thinks people only care about BB and the dog, was only tasked with getting people talking about the property, and had cosmic stuff he actually cares about in the works that could use more springboarding. It was never going to really work in a vaccuum.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I think people read the story with apprehension because they thought it was essentially an attempt to kill off the Inhumans because the attempt to make them more prominent failed. In retrospect, that fear was overblown. Still, it's a story with an extremely weak ending that doesn't really bring much to the table (beyond Olivetti's beautiful art). The continuity issues don't really bother me because plenty of Inhumans stories have those problems, but it was noticed by people as well.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Olivetti

Olivetti colored by Bellaire

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

An over-the-top punishment for a failed publicity push?
    Punishment is a strong word, but in short, yes. It was an ending to the Inhumans push and the Inhumanity era of the franchise that began with it. Hence why any future Inhumans title (which probably won't be for a while) will likely just go with the royals once more.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Punishment is a strong word, but in short, yes. It was an ending to the Inhumans push and the Inhumanity era of the franchise that began with it. Hence why any future Inhumans title (which probably won't be for a while) will likely just go with the royals once more.
    No, Death of X was the end because thats when they destroyed the cloud and anymore new inhumans from appearing. DoI was an after thought because it literally led to a discontinuation of the characters as a whole.

I agree with a lot that has been said here, but I will say that at the very least the comic made me feel sympathy for the royal family, which I wasn't likely to have after IvX. It would be nice if the family got a fresh start now.

No, Death of X was the end because thats when they destroyed the cloud and anymore new inhumans from appearing. DoI was an after thought because it literally led to a discontinuation of the characters as a whole.
    Was the Royals title not after Death of X? I'm pretty sure they were still running with some of the stuff. I think Secret Warriors and Black Bolt (a criminally underrated series) also still ran past IVX.

Death of the Inhumans was closing the book on that era of the franchise.

It was an ending to the Inhumans push and the Inhumanity era of the franchise that began with it.
    Was the Royals title not after Death of X? I'm pretty sure they were still running with some of the stuff. I think Secret Warriors and Black Bolt (a criminally underrated series) also still ran past IVX.

Death of the Inhumans was closing the book on that era of the franchise.
    Death of X/IVX was the end of the Inhumanity rooted story with the new inhumans. Royals, Secret Warriors and Black Bolt was the aftermath of what happened during that era. It was the short lived "ResurreXion" era. They were completely different titles. DoI was a pitch made by a good writer, so they gave him carte blanche, and he didn't know how to execute it well. That's why he had no interest to continue with more. If he had more passion for the characters, he would pitch more books. Instead he pitched a book to kill them and had no plans to return after that.

Death of X/IVX was the end of the Inhumanity rooted story with the new inhumans. Royals, Secret Warriors and Black Bolt was the aftermath of what happened during that era. It was the short lived "ResurreXion" era. They were completely different titles. DoI was a pitch made by a good writer, so they gave him carte blanche, and he didn't know how to execute it well. That's why he had no interest to continue with more. If he had more passion for the characters, he would pitch more books. Instead he pitched a book to kill them and had no plans to return after that.
    That sounds a lot like splitting hairs, though. No offense. They were continuing things with the Inhumans after IVX, and now after DOI, the characters are on ice. It closed the book on the Inhuman push, like I said. There's a reason why it's been how many months since then and we still aren't seeing them anywhere, save for Ms. Marvel and Moon Girl (who were never all that heavily tied to the ongoing storyline).