Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast
Results 346 to 360 of 364
  1. #346
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    1,087

    Default

    A large population of Inhumans could work if we treated them like Pre-Meji Japan or Ming China, a society so esoteric that the outsiders find them weird and frightening in a way.

    Too bad Marvel decided to greatly increase the population of Inhumans within the population of humans.

  2. #347
    Fantastic Member Force de Phenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Right. Especially when Marvel intentionally invited that comparison by strengthening those similarities. That's the point of substitution.
    They never substituted them though and strengthening the similarities only brought them together as they were in the comics before AOS or Infinity. In Earth X, the Terrigen Cloud litterally made mutants, and it was written in 1999.

    Last edited by Force de Phenix; 08-06-2019 at 03:53 PM.

  3. #348
    Extraordinary Member Holt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    6,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    They never substituted them though
    They did. But again, we're just talking in circles at this point. Sorry, I'm not gonna be convinced on this.

  4. #349
    Fantastic Member Force de Phenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    They did. But again, we're just talking in circles at this point. Sorry, I'm not gonna be convinced on this.
    They never replaced them. Both were doing their own thing. The X-Men have have 3 films and 2 tv shows at the same exact time as AOS. And as for comics, I showed three examples of how they were written as mutant kindred spirits since the 80's (even though they were written like that before)

  5. #350
    Extraordinary Member Holt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    6,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    The X-Men have have 3 films and 2 tv shows at the same exact time as AOS.
    None of which had anything to do with the discussion because they weren't in the MCU. I don't know how many times I have to reiterate that.

  6. #351
    Fantastic Member Force de Phenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    None of which had anything to do with the discussion because they weren't in the MCU. I don't know how many times I have to reiterate that.
    It doesn't matter if they were in the MCU or not. They were making blockbuster films that people could go see. The X-Men were thriving, even in comics. If people wanted even more than two shows and a movie every two years and 6 books is another story, but they were telling their story and weren't being substituted. The Inhumans were great on AOS, and they shouldn't be belittle by saying they were only there to substitute another property because of similarities. It was the first time they were exposed to a larger public, so the similarities they've always shared was more apparent.

  7. #352
    Extraordinary Member Holt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    6,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    It doesn't matter if they were in the MCU or not.
    Yes, it does. That's literally the entire point of making a substitute. A property Pelrmutter wanted to use was off-limits, so something else was pushed in its stead with the similarities greatly heightened to take their place.

    and they shouldn't be belittle by saying they were only there to substitute another property because of similarities.
    Look, sorry if it upsets you, but we're now just rehashing the debate from a few weeks ago at this point. So, no hard feelings but I'm just gonna add you to the Ignore List before this thread gets derailed any further.
    Last edited by Holt; 08-06-2019 at 10:17 PM.

  8. #353
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    7,156

    Default

    Regarding Inhumans in the MCU replacing mutants: This is a topic I'm less likely to push back on than the argument that they were doing it in the comics (which I disagree strongly with). I will just point out that, despite significant overlap, they didn't forget to include elements that made them Inhuman - Terrigenesis, Kree origin, etc. I actually expected them from shying away from the word Terrigenesis when they first started and I was wrong there. Plus, it included the point I made earlier that it isn't a "getting powers when hitting puberty" thing. There very much was the idea that full-grown adults with complete lives are upended by the process. They also included Lash and a take on Alpha Primitives, etc.

    That being said, even if you ignore all that, there's important context to consider. They weren't ignoring mutants in favor of Inhumans. They literally had no other option. They were using the Inhumans because they were an available property and they were attempting to use them in a way to tell the story they wanted to tell. The fact that it overlapped so significantly with the mutant story just shows that the mutant story is a fun story to tell. I don't understand why anyone would blame the writers of Agents of SHIELD for their decision there.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

    I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

    Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

  9. #354
    Fantastic Member Force de Phenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Yes, it does. That's literally the entire point of making a substitute. A property Pelrmutter wanted to use was off-limits, so something else was pushed in its stead with the similarities greatly heightened to take their place.



    Look, sorry if it upsets you, but we're now just rehashing the debate from a few weeks ago at this point. So, no hard feelings but I'm just gonna add you to the Ignore List before this thread gets derailed any further.
    You're upset that they made a presence at all. I'm glad that they had a huge role in AOS and that they were able to be in the spotlight for at least a short amount of time in comics. Something they're never gonna see again because of people like you who've been dragging them down. I'm not expecting a response. Just that you continue this on one of the anti-Inhumans threads on the forum and not in the appreciation thread.

  10. #355
    Extraordinary Member Holt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    6,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Regarding Inhumans in the MCU replacing mutants: This is a topic I'm less likely to push back on than the argument that they were doing it in the comics (which I disagree strongly with). I will just point out that, despite significant overlap, they didn't forget to include elements that made them Inhuman - Terrigenesis, Kree origin, etc. I actually expected them from shying away from the word Terrigenesis when they first started and I was wrong there. Plus, it included the point I made earlier that it isn't a "getting powers when hitting puberty" thing. There very much was the idea that full-grown adults with complete lives are upended by the process. They also included Lash and a take on Alpha Primitives, etc.

    That being said, even if you ignore all that, there's important context to consider. They weren't ignoring mutants in favor of Inhumans. They literally had no other option. They were using the Inhumans because they were an available property and they were attempting to use them in a way to tell the story they wanted to tell. The fact that it overlapped so significantly with the mutant story just shows that the mutant story is a fun story to tell. I don't understand why anyone would blame the writers of Agents of SHIELD for their decision there.
    I never said they did anything wrong, nor did I "blame" the writers. I just said it was a thing that obviously happened (which, as I cited, was not an uncommon observation at all), which is what I've been receiving the most pushback on.

  11. #356
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    613

    Default

    So there could be another A-force book and I think Medusa might be in it.

    https://twitter.com/davidyardin/stat...97698916597760
    https://twitter.com/davidyardin/stat...17731222364160
    https://twitter.com/davidyardin/stat...25577073864704
    https://twitter.com/davidyardin/stat...18107747119104
    The teaser images with Captain Marvel seem to have someone with a ton of hair and that looks like Medusa's boots behind she-hulk.



  12. #357
    Astonishing Member Seren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Not in PA anymore.
    Posts
    3,599

    Default

    Now that's interesting.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast - Episode 45 is live! In it we Discuss Lockjaw, Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, and Marvel Rising #0!
    Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter!
    Pull List:
    Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur, Marvel Rising, Death of the Inhumans, The Life of Captain Marvel, Jessica Jones, Spidergeddon, Spider-Force

  13. #358
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    41,615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mung View Post
    So there could be another A-force book and I think Medusa might be in it.

    https://twitter.com/davidyardin/stat...97698916597760
    https://twitter.com/davidyardin/stat...17731222364160
    https://twitter.com/davidyardin/stat...25577073864704
    https://twitter.com/davidyardin/stat...18107747119104
    The teaser images with Captain Marvel seem to have someone with a ton of hair and that looks like Medusa's boots behind she-hulk.


    It seems to be using their designs circa A-Force, since Carol has short hair and She-Hulk looks like her old self.

    Could just be a variant cover.

  14. #359
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    8,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mung View Post
    So there could be another A-force book and I think Medusa might be in it.

    https://twitter.com/davidyardin/stat...97698916597760
    https://twitter.com/davidyardin/stat...17731222364160
    https://twitter.com/davidyardin/stat...25577073864704
    https://twitter.com/davidyardin/stat...18107747119104
    The teaser images with Captain Marvel seem to have someone with a ton of hair and that looks like Medusa's boots behind she-hulk.


    Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Now that's interesting.

    Look a little further down on Yardin's twitter feed. They are from a big Women of Marvel banner he made for an Australian Marvel 80th exhibit.

    https://twitter.com/davidyardin/stat...64660474953728

    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  15. #360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Look a little further down on Yardin's twitter feed. They are from a big Women of Marvel banner he made for an Australian Marvel 80th exhibit.

    https://twitter.com/davidyardin/stat...64660474953728

    If MEdusa were there it would be perfect for me. But the lack of the Inhuman monarch aside, this banner is beautiful! I wonder if we will get an hi-res scan of it made available. It would be a beautiful dekstop wallpaper.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •