Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mung View Post
    For while I thought Black Bolt made M-pox by accident or at least that's where I thought the story would go. Way back in Inhumanity Beast comments to Karnak that Terrigen should be deadly to humans and Karnak says that was not and those were not inhumans. Explaining both why those people turned and why Terrigen wasn't killing everyone. I imagined BB/Max did something to make it safe humans but accidentally made it deadly to mutants. The symptoms of M-pox looked a lot like what happened to the humans that used Terrigen in Silent War. I assumed they would be revealed to be related.
    While it wasn't exactly revealed, it's really the only explanation that fits Son of M, Silent War, and the M-Pox storyline. Terrigen has previously been shown as bad for both humans and mutants, but in different ways from the M-Pox. It was shown to give them unstable powers. However, after Inhumanity, the cloud in the air wasn't affecting humans at all and wasn't giving mutants unstable powers (although it was found later to be giving them a deadly disease but not consistently for each mutant). IvX explicitly stated that the mist transformed when entering into the atmosphere in a way that wasn't true before. Given that, the only explanation that makes sense to me is concentrated Terrigen mist that Inhumans go through for Terrigenesis is not good for non-Inhumans. Black Bolt knew that, when it was defused through the atmosphere, it would no longer cause this problem for non-Inhumans. However, he did not expect it to mix with the chemicals in the air in a way that caused the M-Pox.

I realize I'm trying to rationalize together fairly inconsistent stories to reach a coherent whole, but that's the way I would do it.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

I'll post something different to break from the Mutants/M-Pox discussion. I remember that Zarda aka Power Princess of Earth-712 is the last of the Utopians, an offshoot of humanity that was experimented on by that reality's Kree. Technically, that makes her the equivalent of an Inhuman although Terrigenesis wasn't developed in Squadron Supreme's Earth. Since she was brought to 616 in Robinson's Squadron Supreme depowered, it would be interesting if she makes the connection between herself and the Inhumans and tries Terrigenesis should the Royal Family bring Primagen back to Earth to restart it.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I'm surprised it didn't come up since, he attributed Doctor Spectrum's local Kree to why she felt connected to the Inhumans

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I should also add that Mosaic clearly had no intention of replacing the mutants

In many ways, the NuHumans felt a lot like traditional superhero origin story only the freak accident is a Terrigen Cloud.
    that's how i played it. i had zero interest in merging the book with the larger mythology and plot lines. the mists were just the catalyst. it's part of why the story takes place prior to all the stuff that was going on and formed Morris's attitude about doing anything "because he's an inhuman now."

not.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Nobody is denying Feige fighting to keep the MCU separate, that's a different matter altogether. Him canceling the movie/it being collateral still doesn't change that. The comics are its own thing and for s while Inhumans were doing their own thing with Soule/Uncanny until they were dragged into events hell against mutants.
    Up until around 2015, Marvel Studios and Marvel Comics were controlled by the same person, Ike Perlmutter. He felt like Marvel shouldn't be in the business of publishing comics for characters that would be in other studios movies. That's why the Fantastic Four books were cancelled for a few years. The X-Men were too big a part of the line to cancel outright, so he decided they'd need to come up with a replacement first. The Inhumans fit the bill and they became his pet project. He was the one who got Inhumans on the movie schedule, and when Marvel Studios got moved out of his purview, it no longer had the support to move forward.

Now, to be clear, there's no indication that Ike issued a directive for the comics to writer a story about the Inhumans replacing the X-Men. He isn't an editor, a writer, he's probably never read a comic for the past decade, if ever. The directive was just to retool the Inhumans to function akin to the X-Men; a property that allowed people from all over the place to manifest powers of all different sorts, while having a unifying factor that provides an inherent impetus for those characters to come together.

This is why the Inhumans went from being a property about an secret, insular kingdom of an different species, to a publicly-known world-wide genetic minority

I'd be very, very surprised if Ike at any point gave them the directive to explicitly pit the Inhumans and mutants against each other. I doubt he really cared about what stories were written with them past the point of establishing the NuHumans. It isn't really an indictment of the pre-IvX Inhumans franchise to discuss the impetus for its retooling. That's just the story of how it happened. It also explains why the Inhumans no longer seem to be an editorial priority.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Up until around 2015, Marvel Studios and Marvel Comics were controlled by the same person, Ike Perlmutter. He felt like Marvel shouldn't be in the business of publishing comics for characters that would be in other studios movies. That's why the Fantastic Four books were cancelled for a few years. The X-Men were too big a part of the line to cancel outright, so he decided they'd need to come up with a replacement first. The Inhumans fit the bill and they became his pet project. He was the one who got Inhumans on the movie schedule, and when Marvel Studios got moved out of his purview, it no longer had the support to move forward.

Now, to be clear, there's no indication that Ike issued a directive for the comics to writer a story about the Inhumans replacing the X-Men. He isn't an editor, a writer, he's probably never read a comic for the past decade, if ever. The directive was just to retool the Inhumans to function akin to the X-Men; a property that allowed people from all over the place to manifest powers of all different sorts, while having a unifying factor that provides an inherent impetus for those characters to come together.

This is why the Inhumans went from being a property about an secret, insular kingdom of an different species, to a publicly-known world-wide genetic minority

I'd be very, very surprised if Ike at any point gave them the directive to explicitly pit the Inhumans and mutants against each other. I doubt he really cared about what stories were written with them past the point of establishing the NuHumans. It isn't really an indictment of the pre-IvX Inhumans franchise to discuss the impetus for its retooling. That's just the story of how it happened. It also explains why the Inhumans no longer seem to be an editorial priority.
    Have you got any reliable sources to back this up, or is it "what people said"/speculation? The inhumans were publicly exposed to humans a long long time ago, and the ones who chose to live in New Attilan are living there secluded from the humans. The only thing that really changed was that they moved onto being a democracy, and the discovery of more of them existing in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    The inhumans were publicly exposed to humans a long long time ago, and the ones who chose to live in New Attilan are living there secluded from the humans. The only thing that really changed was that they moved onto being a democracy, and the discovery of more of them existing in the world.
    Oh, well, yeah, they hadn't been a secret in a while. But the discovery that there were a ton of inhumans amongst the human population, that's not something to be brushed aside. That's a major change to the property. I'm not saying that as a critique. I honestly don't

Have you got any reliable sources to back this up, or is it "what people said"/speculation?
    Well, it all depends on what you consider reliable, I suppose. BleedingCool is basically the only comic book new site that reports on behind-the-scenes activity at comics companies, and not just press releases from companies. All things considered, they have a pretty solid track record for accuracy in their reporting, but if you don't trust them...

Jonathan Hickman confirmed that the Fantastic Four was cancelled due to the fact that the movie rights were at Fox. I believe that was in an interview at Newsarama. Which seemed to corroborate a lot of those previous reports.

I just want to emphasize that I'm not saying this to be critical of the Inhumans franchise. The circumstances that lead to the production of the most recent wave of content has no baring on the quality of those comics. It is not an attack on the quality of Inhumans comics or their fans.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Jonathan Hickman confirmed that the Fantastic Four was cancelled due to the fact that the movie rights were at Fox. I believe that was in an interview at Newsarama. Which seemed to corroborate a lot of those previous reports.
    He also hinted he wanted to work with the X-men, but they weren't a priority for Marvel at the time; that also seemed to influence Teen Jean's absence from SW despite being on the covers and Cyclops abrupt departure from the story.

Oh, well, yeah, they hadn't been a secret in a while. But the discovery that there were a ton of inhumans amongst the human population, that's not something to be brushed aside. That's a major change to the property. I'm not saying that as a critique. I honestly don't
    I saw it as them taking it from Earth X, like female Thor, Storm and Black Panther's marriage, etc. They attempted to turn humans or other beings into inhumans so many times that it was bound to happen one day, and it finally did. And it was at a time that Marvel wanted to change the status quo completely, unlike now that it's practically going back to the 90's.

The new avengers game by square inix, (not the one coming out next month), in a cutscene shown at E3 Tony and Bruce mention Terrigen

The trailer for the Square Enix Avengers game mentions Terrigen crystals.

Quote Originally Posted by mung View Post
    The new avengers game by square inix, (not the one coming out next month), in a cutscene shown at E3 Tony and Bruce mention Terrigen
    Yes! The Terrigen reactor. It sounded more destructive than anything else. I assume they'll include something inhuman, but it looks like we'll just be able to play as the 5 core Avengers and everything else will be story.

Me before the conference: Gonna be wack

Me during the announcement: zzz...

Me after the mention of Terrigen, Hank, a release date, and more heroes via ethical content distribution: Take all the liters of my blood ya'll want!
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Yes! The Terrigen reactor. It sounded more destructive than anything else. I assume they'll include something inhuman, but it looks like we'll just be able to play as the 5 core Avengers and everything else will be story.
    There were rumors about Kamala being in it and that might have even been her narrating

After rewatching it after he said Terrigen, I got what this meant. I assume they release a Terrigen cloud. I just hope it isn't toxic, but they probably wrote the story when that was what they were doing.