Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

The situation with Emma was a last ditch attempt to try and make the Inhumans seem more reasonable in the conflict by having one of the X-Men go full on genocidal against them, and even that didn't work; people still love Emma and very few cared for the cannon fodder she offed.

I think that was the central problem with the conflict. The X-Men being reactionary and wanting to destroy the Terrigen cloud was somehow meant to be taken as just as morally ambiguous as the Royals just sitting back and letting mutants get gassed to death because "Yeah, but our powers...," and somehow the writers were still surprised that the Inhumans came off looking like the bad guys in the drama.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

What Marvel doesn't get is that most people won't automatically side with a character just because you tell them to. You can have Mephisto fighting Spider-Man, but it Mephisto's reasons are sound and Spidey's are not, most people will side with the former. Even more of course if the allegedly wrong party is a hero.

Back to the Inhumans, I hope after the dust settles a little bit, Marvel tries a new approach with them. Just keep them away from hero vs hero fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    The situation with Emma was a last ditch attempt to try and make the Inhumans seem more reasonable in the conflict by having one of the X-Men go full on genocidal against them, and even that didn't work; people still love Emma and very few cared for the cannon fodder she offed.

I think that was the central problem with the conflict. The X-Men being reactionary and wanting to destroy the Terrigen cloud was somehow meant to be taken as just as morally ambiguous as the Royals just sitting back and letting mutants get gassed to death because "Yeah, but our powers...," and somehow the writers were still surprised that the Inhumans came off looking like the bad guys in the drama.
    I still find the criticism of the Inhumans "apathy" in this event to be too harsh. It was a bad event and characters were definitely handled poorly. However, personally, I interpreted the event very differently compared to other people. I believe the Inhumans helped as many mutants as they could after being made aware of what effects the Terrigen was truly having on mutants. I'm not sure what people wanted Medusa to do? Iso and Beast were working on a way to stop the cloud and neither of them found a solution. It's not like a solution was offered to her that she refused to utilize. Also, Medusa as a fictional character is not able to act of her own free will. People say Medusa should have known Terrigen was deadly to mutants, which in continuity is true. But if the writer doesn't know that or chooses to ignore that to further a more current narrative then that is all on them. It is understandable, but a shame that characters suffer under the pen of writers. But that is what happens when a character exists on paper.

The one true and major fault I see on the Inhumans part is killing "Scott" in retaliation. That just seemed very petty and unnecessary. Also, their side got out of the conflict with clean hands whereas the mutants were shown to once again having to pick up the pieces of a war that took a toll on their numbers. It was bad writing from start to finish, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Keyotheseasons; 06-06-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post

FWIW, the Inhumans writer had almost no role in the Terrigen Mist story until the end. It's an X-Men story that he more or less got dragged into. So any inconsistency there probably has a lot to do with Charles Soule's tendency to not pay attention to others' continuity (probably because he is super busy).
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    FWIW, the Inhumans writer had almost no role in the Terrigen Mist story until the end. It's an X-Men story that he more or less got dragged into. So any inconsistency there probably has a lot to do with Charles Soule's tendency to not pay attention to others' continuity (probably because he is super busy).
    It was an X-Men story. They litterally did nothing wrong. The writers made it clear that the inhumans were the villains. They killed more people and people actually think that the story was meant to make the X-Men villains. It was painful to read. I was thinking, "why are they doing this?" But they did, and now it's going to be referenced until they fix it somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    It was an X-Men story. They litterally did nothing wrong. The writers made it clear that the inhumans were the villains. They killed more people and people actually think that the story was meant to make the X-Men villains. It was painful to read. I was thinking, "why are they doing this?" But they did, and now it's going to be referenced until they fix it somehow.
    No, but the X-men were supposed to be the bad guys, and Cyclops an evil bastard that died off-panel after doing something so repulsive even his friends couldn't stand him. It's just Marvel was stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    Yeah, it was an X-Men story in the same vain as the Legacy virus (although it didn't last nearly as long). I don't get why people thought the X-Men were intended to be the villains of the story. Especially when they also say Marvel screwed up by making it look like they weren't.

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Hero vs Hero events don't have intended protags and antags because they want readers to pick a side to stir up drama which translates to money, even though the stories are always better when you look at them more objectively and don't pick sides.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Hero vs Hero events don't have intended protags and antags because they want readers to pick a side to stir up drama which translates to money, even though the stories are always better when you look at them more objectively and don't pick sides.
    I thought Hero vs. Hero events look worse when you look at them objectively because of how contrived some of the conflicts and characterizations usually end up being to justify the heroes fighting each other ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought Hero vs. Hero events look worse when you look at them objectively because of how contrived some of the conflicts and characterizations usually end up being to justify the heroes fighting each other ?
    #RespectTheFartCloud
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Yeah, it was an X-Men story in the same vain as the Legacy virus (although it didn't last nearly as long). I don't get why people thought the X-Men were intended to be the villains of the story. Especially when they also say Marvel screwed up by making it look like they weren't.
    Because Marvel was trying to push the Inhumans as mutant substitutes and sideline the X-men.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Because Marvel was trying to push the Inhumans as mutant substitutes and sideline the X-men.
    Except they weren't, that's just what people assumed.

Why are we still having this conversation? The X-Men are clearly fine. Although part of the evidence that Marvel was trying to get rid of them is that they only have three team books. Guess having that few books means Marvel hates them and it's never to raise interest by focusing on a core group of books.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Them making fewer X-Men books (fewer, not completely cancelled) had nothing to do with the inhumans. They were never completey erradicated, or replaced, and they never will be. There's room for everyone in the Marvel Universe, including the inhumans.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    #RespectTheFartCloud
    To be fair, the global Terrigenisis story was interesting. People forgot why Black Bolt did it in the first place.

But they were trying to use Inhumans as mutant substitutes, anyone that saw Agents of SHIELD at the time knows that. And the X-men being sidelined for properties Marvel owned the movie rights to was a well-known fact.

Astonishing Member

The tv show, which has never been acknowledged by the movie devision is not the comics. Inhumans were not replacing mutants in any way. The MCU has always been about using properties they had access to, featuring mainly Avengers. I think fans super inflated Inhumans being given a shot in the comics considering they had a couple of books more than what the Inhumans had.