Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which Eight Avengers Could Beat the Exemplars?

Midway through the Busiek/Perez run on Avengers, a team of seven villains beat the heck out of Juggernaut and then the Avengers, including heavy hitters like Thor, Hercules, Iron Man, and Wonder Man. They took out Juggernaut in three panels, and the Avengers in a few pages. For purposes of this fight, include Juggernaut as one of the Exemplars as Cyttorak had intended.

Can you assemble a team of eight Avengers who could beat the Exemplars in the Khazan Arena?

Sentry is a no brainier right off the bat. Dipping into Hickman's avengers for power houses should shore up the numbers nicely.

Final team.

Sentry
    Starbrand
    Hyperion
    Thor
    Moondragon
    Hulk
    Spectrum
    Dr. Strange

Quote Originally Posted by moonknight11 View Post
    Sentry is a no brainier right off the bat. Dipping into Hickman's avengers for power houses should shore up the numbers nicely.

Final team.

Sentry
    Starbrand
    Hyperion
    Thor
    Moondragon
    Hulk
    Spectrum
    Dr. Strange
    Great team!

That is a great team. I might be tempted to replace Hulk and Spectrum with Sersi and Monica Rambeau for more versatility and firepower.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    That is a great team. I might be tempted to replace Hulk and Spectrum with Sersi and Monica Rambeau for more versatility and firepower.
    Spectrum IS Monica Rambeau.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Important point. Dr. Strange, during his time as one of the Avengers, was at one of his lower points. The dude was barely a shadow of Classic Strange. I believe the term used these days is 'Fern-Busting' Strange, thanks to a bloody typo on my part.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Important point. Dr. Strange, during his time as one of the Avengers, was at one of his lower points. The dude was barely a shadow of Classic Strange. I believe the term used these days is 'Fern-Busting' Strange, thanks to a bloody typo on my part.
    He remains an Avenger though, technically, and is he still at that level? If so, they also have Kaluu.

Other more flexible options than Hulk would be Nova Prime, Blue Marvel and Cable.

And do we count Genis-Vell? His status is a little fuzzy.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    He remains an Avenger though, technically, and is he still at that level? If so, they also have Kaluu.

Other more flexible options than Hulk would be Nova Prime, Blue Marvel and Cable.

And do we count Genis-Vell? His status is a little fuzzy.
    Quasar (Wendell) is also a suitable option.

But the real answer is that you don’t pick the Avengers at all. You pick the new Guardians team.

copyOfFirstPage._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Assuming characters from all variations of Avengers teams are available, I'd go with the most powerful versions of...

Sentry
    Scarlet Witch
    Binary
    Doctor Strange
    Thor
    Quasar
    Rogue
    Moondragon

One of the last two choices could actually have been Squirrel Girl.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

If we're going with 'They count from anywhere in their careers, even if they were only Avengers during a really crappy point where their power was meh', then yeah, why not go with Strange and Kaluu (yeesh)?

I'm just not sure that's kosher.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Spectrum IS Monica Rambeau.
    I referred to her as Monica Rambeau to avoid confusion, because she changes her hero name almost as often as the Wasp changes costumes.

Wikipedia said that her aliases include: Captain Marvel, Photon, Pulsar, Daystar, Sceptre, Lady of Light, Monica Marvel, Sun Goddess, and Spectrum. I think that Daystar was a one-time thing, when Morgan la Fey altered reality on a global scale.

But the real answer is that you don’t pick the Avengers at all. You pick the new Guardians team.

copyOfFirstPage._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg
    Starlord is just Grifter now, yeesh.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Starlord is just Grifter now, yeesh.
    Kinda makes me like him more tbh.

But seriously, is Surfer on the freaking Guardians now? And Bill? Talk about an upgrade.

Wait, wasn't Surfer part of the sorta kinda back Defenders team?

Edit: Clearly im going blind. Gladiator and Moondragon as well?? Are they gonna go fight Thanos or Tyrant or some such? Yeesh.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Kinda makes me like him more tbh.

But seriously, is Surfer on the freaking Guardians now? And Bill? Talk about an upgrade.

Wait, wasn't Surfer part of the sorta kinda back Defenders team?

Edit: Clearly im going blind. Gladiator and Moondragon as well?? Are they gonna go fight Thanos or Tyrant or some such? Yeesh.
    I generally like the lone human on a superhero team who has to rely on wits and tricks to keep up with the rest of the superheroes, but yeah. This is like an all-star major league baseball team and they offer a spot to the tiniest little leaguer.