Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Final Crisis

When I try to explain Final Crisis to people, I simply say:

In order to save the universe from an evil math problem, Superman sang.

BANNED

that's because darksurd always hated cadences

Final Crisis was one of the first comics I ever read and while it was confusing, I understood it well enough. Maybe because I didn't know what normal comics were like (before this my main experience with American comics was Sandman), so when it started to get weird I just rolled with it. I didn't like Countdown, though, so I stopped a few issues in.

Two of my favorite comics of all time were Morrison's Batman & Robin and All Star Superman. As a writer, he's pretentious and sometimes incomprehensible (and as a person he's pretty crazy), but on the whole, the stories he tells are wild, fun, memorable and are usually among my favorites. Like, he's clearly on acid when he's writing and by the time you're done reading it feels like you're on acid, too.
    Last edited by babybats; 01-20-2019 at 09:44 AM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post

Amazing! (I'm totally using this)

That's the dumbest thing I've heard in weeks. It's also a perfect illustration of everything that is wrong with Final Crisis (and everything about Final Crisis is just wrong, period. Like, "F**k Grant Morrison" wrong).

BANNED

Morrison's work is often a no for me...great ideas, but truly bad time showing it and explaining it better. I mean "Evil Wins"...Darkseid's evil, the Crime Syndicate is evil in Forever Evil, but when are we ever going to see one where Luthor WINS and we stick to that for an event, and no President Luthor doesn't count.

I mean an actual Luthor Wins/Superman Lose moment like Lexor from the Silver/Bronze Age.

Anyway Final Crisis is like a Rubix Cube...very hard to master no matter how much time you place yourself into it.

Spectacular Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    That's the dumbest thing I've heard in weeks. It's also a perfect illustration of everything that is wrong with Final Crisis (and everything about Final Crisis is just wrong, period. Like, "F**k Grant Morrison" wrong).
    No, that's an incredibly witty and funny description of the work, and I BET Grant would love it. I, for one, had no hard time deciphering Final Crisis. Complex? Yes. Demanding of attention and a more studied reading? Surely. But it's not Ulysses by James Joyce, or even The Pilgrims' Progress ......

NOW.... "everything about Final Crisis is just WRONG, period." is a pretentious way to react to a work which you simply didn't like (for whatever reasons you might have").

Plus, I find it disingenuous to complain about ''complexity'' when you can deal with Donna Troy's history, Hawkman's continuity, or whatever-the-hell Flashpoint is. This vitriol is exaggerated, and you might benefit from remembering that in this forum there are different tastes, and even though you are free to have any opinion, your tone could do a bit tweaking.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Morrison's work is often a no for me...great ideas, but truly bad time showing it and explaining it better. I mean "Evil Wins"...Darkseid's evil, the Crime Syndicate is evil in Forever Evil, but when are we ever going to see one where Luthor WINS and we stick to that for an event, and no President Luthor doesn't count.

I mean an actual Luthor Wins/Superman Lose moment like Lexor from the Silver/Bronze Age.

Anyway Final Crisis is like a Rubix Cube...very hard to master no matter how much time you place yourself into it.
    My impression was that "evil wins" for FC meant its starting point based on the series and side issues which worked towards it. FC itself is the heroes trying to undo it. Unless you mean Evil wins, all heroes dead, DC starts to only print issues of "Darkside", "Luthor" and "The flamboyant Adventures of Veronica Cale" as their new trinity before getting sold to Disney :-P

I love this succinct description. Strange, wondrous elements are the heart and soul of comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    But seriously, does anyone know if there's ever an explanation as to how Darkseid finally gets the Anti-Life [Ability]? It just seems like "Yay, I finally have it!" Also, isn't the Source gonna track him down and kill him now? Was the plotline of the Source killing New Gods ever followed up on?
    The plotline of Darkseid getting the Anti-Life Equation is from the Seven Soldiers: Mister Miracle miniseries. It's not elaborated on; the most we get is Metron telling Shiloh Norman "There was a war in Heaven and the wrong side won". A lot of 7S feeds into Final Crisis, including the entirety of Shiloh's story as well as the Dark Side Club. Nothing from Death of the New Gods was ever elaborated on; it's best just to disregard it as effective non-canon.

The Equation is an equation, incidentally. 7S shows it to be loneliness + alienation + fear + despair + self-worth ÷ mockery ÷ condemnation ÷ misunderstanding × guilt × shame × failure × judgment n = y, y = hope, n = folly, love = lies, life = death, self = dark side. According to the text of Kirby and Morrison, it mathmatically proves that Darkseid is the essentially rightful ruler of the universese and individuality is meaningless. It's high concept mythology instead of comics typical simple sci-fi.