Thread: Final Crisis

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Incredible Member

Default Final Crisis

I hate Grant Morrison

A decade ago I was buying everything that DC was selling when it came to the impending Final Crisis. All 51 issues of Countdown, and those things that crossed over into it in one way or another: Amazons Attack, and with it, the first 10 issues of Wonder Woman, half of of The Flash: The Fastest Man Alive, Death of the New Gods, Black Adam: The Dark Age. And, of course, I was reading all of Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps through the Sinestro Corps War. They wanted my money,a nd they were getting it!

Finally, after blowing so much of my college-student dough, I picked up the first issue of Final Crisis. And I could barely understand a word of it. I read somewhere that to truly understand it, what you should REALLY read is Grant Morrison's run on Seven Soldiers. Well, I was disgusted, and I swore off the whole thing. I never read Final Crisis, and I haven't read a new comic book since. I've HEARD all about the New 52 and Rebirth and all that jazz, but have not picked up a single new issue.

A decade on, I figured it was finally time to give it another chance. So with the help of the Ames, Iowa Public Library (the best comic-book-collection library in the world, BTW [likely due to it being on a major college campus {Iowa State University}]) , I started rereading much of what I read back in the day.

Well, first I read Seven Soldiers. And I'm not sure I'm any better off now than when I hadn't read it, because I barely understood a word. That's Grant Morrison for you. I didn't understand his run on X-Men either. I don't understand how anyone can understand his writing. I also read Batman: R.I.P. because I thought it was connected to Final Crisis, and that was where Batman would die. It wasn't either. And it was very hard to understand.

I reread Countdown, and that didn't make much sense either, but I was told it really had very little to do with Final Crisis.

As I started reading Final Crisis, it actually made more sense than I remember. Darkseid somehow finally gets the Anti-Life Equation so that he can make the universe his slaves, some other stuff is going on that I can follow, Martian Manhunter dies. It was going all right. Then, in the last couple issues, it started to veer away from sense. And then that final issue....Wow. I cannot tell you what happened. The most sense I can make is that Darkseid is dead and defeated at last.

I'll comment more about the event and the other events around it, as I am trying to get back into DC Comics from this time period on. But I wanted to know what other people think of this event.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

While I do think that Grant Morrison can disappear up his own arse from time to time, I enjoy the bulk of his stuff.
    Klaus is pure gold.
    His run on JLA and the Flash with Mark Millar is top shelf.
    Multiversity was fantastic.

He hits a lot more than he misses.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    While I do think that Grant Morrison can disappear up his own arse from time to time, I enjoy the bulk of his stuff.
    Klaus is pure gold.
    His run on JLA and the Flash with Mark Millar is top shelf.
    Multiversity was fantastic.

He hits a lot more than he misses.
    What are your thoughts on Final Crisis? Could you understand that last issue?

When it comes to Morrison, all I can judge him on are the things I've read, which, as I've said, are his run on X-Men, Seven Soldiers, Batman R.I.P., and Final Crisis, in none of which I could tell what's going on.

I have to wonder if it's just me. I mean, I don't get this lost in comic books by any other writer. Yet every time I read something by this one guy it's like "...what?" Yet he's so poular. I have to wonder if Dan DiDio even understood Final Crisis.

Oh, I forgot, I also read 52, which he co-wrote, and that I love. Is there any official information on what writers wrote which parts? Because I know the Animal Man/Starfire/Adam Strange storyline had that definite Grant Morrison, I-can't-understand-what-the-heck-they're-talking-about feel to it.

BANNED

I only read a tpb of final crisis, the extended edition, and it was ok. The part disappointed me was all these Supermen from paralel earths gathered to fight an evil force, but in the end there was no fight, green lantern did a number on the multiverse vampire or something ( it has been a while since read it) and that was it... I thought i was gonna see the biggest fight in DC history for a while but all the build up for nothing... And Batman shooting Darkseid with a gun was smelled like Morrison sold his soul to NRA money or something. I love 52 weeks btw, that was amazing. Batman: RIP was so meh... Bondesque, villains try to break Bruce... just put a god damn bullet in his head... But no lol, we as villains must dope him up, tie him down and burry him and turn our backs so he can overcome all of this and look all the more heroic for some like in a James Bond kind of way, you know... Scopiona was a nice villain though, i liked her, she has pottential and i really enjoyed Batman and Robin, Profesor Pyg is an amazing new villain.
    Last edited by Gurz; 01-16-2019 at 12:57 AM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Final Crisis started strong, but became a bit of a mess by the end - and yes, I found it confusing!!

Also, 52 is quite brilliant. I truly believe we will never see another weekly title meet the high standard this book did.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Morrison style of writing is too hard and confuse to understand for people not native speaker as me.
    It's really hard to take on his works, that's why I'm still wavering to get into his new GL run.
    Some of his concepts as Multiverse or "lost in time" are exactly what I never suffered in comic books.

That said, I can't deny that he is a great writer. Too visionary for my taste but with innovative and very interesting ideas.
    Simply his way of writing is not my cup of tea.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    I hate Grant Morrison

A decade ago I was buying everything that DC was selling when it came to the impending Final Crisis. All 51 issues of Countdown, and those things that crossed over into it in one way or another: Amazons Attack, and with it, the first 10 issues of Wonder Woman, half of of The Flash: The Fastest Man Alive, Death of the New Gods, Black Adam: The Dark Age. And, of course, I was reading all of Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps through the Sinestro Corps War. They wanted my money,a nd they were getting it!

Finally, after blowing so much of my college-student dough, I picked up the first issue of Final Crisis. And I could barely understand a word of it. I read somewhere that to truly understand it, what you should REALLY read is Grant Morrison's run on Seven Soldiers. Well, I was disgusted, and I swore off the whole thing. I never read Final Crisis, and I haven't read a new comic book since. I've HEARD all about the New 52 and Rebirth and all that jazz, but have not picked up a single new issue.

A decade on, I figured it was finally time to give it another chance. So with the help of the Ames, Iowa Public Library (the best comic-book-collection library in the world, BTW [likely due to it being on a major college campus {Iowa State University}]) , I started rereading much of what I read back in the day.

Well, first I read Seven Soldiers. And I'm not sure I'm any better off now than when I hadn't read it, because I barely understood a word. That's Grant Morrison for you. I didn't understand his run on X-Men either. I don't understand how anyone can understand his writing. I also read Batman: R.I.P. because I thought it was connected to Final Crisis, and that was where Batman would die. It wasn't either. And it was very hard to understand.

I reread Countdown, and that didn't make much sense either, but I was told it really had very little to do with Final Crisis.

As I started reading Final Crisis, it actually made more sense than I remember. Darkseid somehow finally gets the Anti-Life Equation so that he can make the universe his slaves, some other stuff is going on that I can follow, Martian Manhunter dies. It was going all right. Then, in the last couple issues, it started to veer away from sense. And then that final issue....Wow. I cannot tell you what happened. The most sense I can make is that Darkseid is dead and defeated at last.

I'll comment more about the event and the other events around it, as I am trying to get back into DC Comics from this time period on. But I wanted to know what other people think of this event.
    So Countdown had nothing to do with Final Crisis and was pure garbage.

Final Crisis was pretty much Morrison's end cap to all of his DC works up to that point specifically, 7 Soldiers, JLA, JLA Classified, and Batman.

It was a meta-narrative about the nature of reality as it is in "comicbooks" the Monitors are kind of like us (people in the real world) and they see the different realities just as we do in different comicbooks. However, one monitor went bad and tried to destroy all of reality and it was up to Superman and his alternatives to take the fight to him, while on Earth Darkseid who had just been reborn (because the New Gods and Gods of Apokolips died, and they were reincarnated into humans on Earth. tries to take over and collapse the multiverse (for reasons).

It is very confusing, and has a lot of meta-commentary about comicbooks, but he big take away is that because of this we got the best version of Batman in a long time: Dick Grayson as Batman

PS: read All Star Superman which in my opinion is the best comicbook ever written (it encompasses what a superhero comicbook should be)