Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghostbusters 3

Not sure why a second thread was made but could someone please merge the two?

Quote Originally Posted by Raiders View Post
    Is this the Chris Platt and Channing Tatum movie that should have came out instead?
    I *believe* that was scrapped once the Feig movie was made; plus every time Jason Reitman talked about his version of Ghostbusters 3, it seemed to differ from that script.

Of course, that doesn't mean that Pratt (not Platt) and Tatum can't be in this movie, but it'll likely be Reitman's script and not the one that was originally pitched to star those two.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiders View Post
    Is this the Chris Platt and Channing Tatum movie that should have came out instead?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I *believe* that was scrapped once the Feig movie was made; plus every time Jason Reitman talked about his version of Ghostbusters 3, it seemed to differ from that script.

Of course, that doesn't mean that Pratt (not Platt) and Tatum can't be in this movie, but it'll likely be Reitman's script and not the one that was originally pitched to star those two.
    That was nothing more than a spitball.

This one is set to be a mixed team of teenagers and is starting to sound like the current IDW comic meets Extreme Ghostbusters. The old guys teach/train some kids ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

The reboot might get a lot of ****, but it was still far better than 2.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post

I wonder if this movie will star the original cast, they not too old to still be Ghostbusters.

Why do I have the feeling it's going to be a rehash of the first one.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    Why do I have the feeling it's going to be a rehash of the first one.
    Because the 2nd one was a rehash of the first one.

I always thought having the team lose all their fame and goodwill and essentially start from scratch was a bad move for the beginning of GB2. The game had them as a full fledged -- if tiny -- operation and the narrative worked out better, despite, ironically, replicating scenes from the first movie.

BANNED

Instead of making a straight comedy, they should make a real horror movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Already love it

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    hey i actually liked 2. still one of my favorite movies ever.

Mighty Member

Oh i will continue to defend part 2 as it had likable characters with charisma (one of my important movie loving factors is likable characters with charisma and all that), fun action sequences, great villain and all. Ballbusters (which is 2016's film as i'm not gonna call it Ghostbusters as it doesn't deserve that name as it's a name Ocpcommunications who is an excellent youtube film critic calls it because it shoots the logo in the dick) was not enjoyable to me and my pick for worst film of 2016 as me and one of my youtube friend whom we both have high standards i mentioned didn't pay a dime to see the movie in theaters but used free tickets and we suffered through it and we both gave it zero stars.

I am done with this franchise. Its time to give up the ghost on live-action film. Unless you are willing to do an animated film or something like that with the original voice cast of the original films. At least the ones still alive anyway. Or a new animated series for Netflix like Extreme Ghostbusters.

Until then, I really am not interested in seeing anymore GB movies. That being said if this happens I will eventually watch it when it comes to rent and hope against all hope that it will be good as I always do.

As i said it before and i'll say it again, I have come to the sobering reality that in essence the audiences going to movies today are to blame for the chain of unoriginality being unbroken. For the countless streams of sequels, reboots, and remakes.

We have only ourselves to blame for Hollywood studios greenlighting one sequel, reboot, prequel and remake after another. We made Michael Bay's 4th Transformer film a hit at the box office while the 5th film was a flop, goodness for that. We made Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle aka Welcome to the bunghole (in my view) so huge that now studios are trying to recapture that success with reboots/sequels, same for the Creed films and the new Halloween film which i disliked.

No. They are rolling in your cash. They have no reason to stop rehashing the same plotlines and using the same formula over and over again. And is that really what you want? You can't keep doing the same thing again, and again, and again, and keep expecting the same result. Eventually the returns are going to diminish and when they do? We have no one to blame but ourselves.

I see so many people talking about how hollywood is so unoriginal now, how it isn't what it used to be. "Why can't films be as good as they were in the 80's and 90's" and I say the same things trust me. But a lot of these people still pay to see the next focus group created blockbuster and stuff Disney's pockets with the next Star Wars film. If it has Star Wars on it? A good amount of people will compulsively buy a ticket like it's smack on a street corner. Luckily Solo bombed and i disliked that movie.

All this does is lead to Hollywood thinking you want more blockbusters not less. That you want more sequels, and reboots or remakes. Not less. That you want spin offs like a young han solo movie which i thought was mediocre and not as horrible as Last Jedi, yet luckily Solo bombed as i'm glad i didn't pay a ticket to see but wait until it comes to rent. And this ultimately leads to the franchises you love getting ridden into the ****ing ground. And then tossed in the garbage heap until 10 or twenty years roll by and they take it out of the trash and give it a new coat of paint.

All we are doing by making these reboots, sequels, remakes, prequels and based on movies hits? Is sending a message to the studios that this is what we want. And is it really? Do we really want a Top Gun way 2 many years 2 late sequel? Do we really want a remake of Flatliners? Do we really want to see another Saw movie? Does anyone really want to see that Baywatch movie came out that just bombed? Or another Friday The 13th reboot? I know I don't.

Or more importantly, do you? And if you don't want to see this? Then don't pay for it. Speak with your wallet. Wait to rent those films on blu ray or dvd. Don't just pay for a ticket just because of name recognition. That is exactly what leads to more reboots, remakes, prequels and sequels and the death of originality in mainstream cinema. Although Blade Runner 2045 was an excellent sequel done with care and passion and Mission Impossible is right on track with the new movie and i love it as MI Fallout is one of my faves of 2018. And A Quiet Place is the start of a fresh new horror franchise.

If you want to support a franchise or a sequel? Support a new one. Like John Wick for example being a fresh new action franchise. To show the studios that you want new franchises, with new characters, new universes and new worlds. Instead of the same ones, refurbished and sold back to you as brand new. Otherwise this nostalgia train isn't going to stop until it rides your memories into the ground.

The franchise is dead already on film! Just let the franchise go already from film Ackroyd, the last film was a complete failure in my view. Time to retire this franchise on film as it's a dead horse on film.

Ghostbusters never needed to be continued in film. They couldn't get a cast reunion together outside the video game and after Harold Ramis died any idea about a third film should have been put to rest. They had plenty of material to work with the franchise in other mediums. It didn't need saving as a film franchise. It left enough of a legacy as a pop culture icon of the 80s to stay as a two film series. The problem is film studios are too greedy for their own good and think that established franchise films coming back hold some kind of guaranteed profit margins based on brand name alone. Nobody is smart enough to look at a brand like Ghostbusters and properly and efficiently determine the best ways to utilize it based on the fanbase and the legacy it holds.

Look at Back to the future as an example of utilizing the brand in ways that don't mess with the legacy it left. They show enormous respect to their fanbase coming out with different merchandise and apparel and media over the years. They know you can't recreate the magic they had so they let the franchise live on through the fans love of the trilogy. Ghostbusters did so well with the video game. They gave their fans something so authentic and respectful to the films that it's such a shame they had to go the route they did for GB2016 in order to bank off its name. I am very thankful the new film flopped at the box-office and how it killed the franchise and sometimes it's better to kill something then let it suffer. This franchise is now like a wounded half-dead animal since the Real GBs ended and nothing else good has came out in the last 25 years with the exception of the 2009 video game and the merchandise and comics by IDW, no movies since then and other games during the years have sucked and Extreme GBs was ok show and this remake flopped at the box-office.

You just can't recapture the same lightning in a bottle like the original as the original focused on a brilliant mature intelligent script and reminded how well crafted it is a supernatural fantasy comedy adventure with horror trimmings, a solid cast of talented comedy actors who are given just enough space to subtly give wit around without undermining the world of the story. Has an edge to it in the original as the original is what i call great filmmaking.

The new version hits some viewers in the face with painfully forced juvenile Sandler (modern Sandler mind you)-esque humor, a poorly written unfunny script, poor pacing and plus no passion but money grab is. Plus none of the edge of the original movie, unlikable characters with no charisma, no personality, all men are assholes in the film, cringe inducing cameos and a lame villain who lacks the menace of Gozer and Viggo. This shows what 80's and 90's comedy did right, and what some modern comedy is doing wrong. Not to mention shooting the logo in the dick as a bad guy which is an insult to the franchise and there is no passion in this remake and just a cash-grab made by Sony. I have a few female friends who thought that 2016 reboot was poorly written, sexist towards men as one of my lady friends said it's an unfunny insult to women with such man hating agenda and well i enjoyed a few of Feig's movies, i felt he was the wrong guy for that project and even he didn't want to do it at first but he had to for the paycheck and he felt out of his comfort zone as R-rated films is what he is good at and not big budget PG-13 films as after this flopped, he should go back to original stuff.

Hollywood needs to focus on making good films and focus on the new franchises like i mentioned. not digging up some old favorite franchises and desperately sucking the dried up blood of the corpses into some focus-group approved poorly written piece of junk. Ghostbusters is best left alone. They should had made Ghostbusters 3 like years ago like in the 90's, and now that Harold Ramis is dead so has Ghostbusters. Studios need to rediscover the spirit that made great series/movies, not keep recyling past glories.

I hope some people here will understand what i am saying as the world has moved on and some franchises need to be dead and left alone only for the memory of the original to be seen/loved/watched by everyone for years to come on what quality filmmaking is all about and that i am right with my truth about why some series should be left alone as some would and not to recycle some past glories as we moved on and need some fresh new things for current film.

This franchise died with Ramis and any other attempt at a live-action film without Ramis's writing is a shitty moneygrab.
    Last edited by TomServofan; 01-16-2019 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    I disagree with your opinion.

Why do we need to let GB die again? Because the reboot was a dud and the 2ed is disliked by some? That doesn't mean this can't be good or they shouldn't try because this can be great and it's not like GB really went away to begin with they've been around in one way or another for years (games comics TV books toys etc) why stop trying at movies?

Ballbusters (which is 2016's film as i'm not gonna call it Ghostbusters as it doesn't deserve that name as it's a name Ocpcommunications who is an excellent youtube film critic calls it because it shoots the logo in the dick)
    This is the line I stopped reading your post because it became obvious you had nothing useful to say on the subject.

The reboot of Ghostbusters wasn't as great as the original. Who could it be? The original had practically everybody who was responsible for everything funny that happened in the 80s involved AND it was original.

Everyone knew walking in that they weren't going to get that this time, whether the characters had dicks or not doesn't matter.

Honestly, I think the movie could have used some more tweaking. There really wasn't enough Ghostbusting in it for starters. A montage sequence to build up their reputation like the first one had would have worked wonders to fix that. But it is what it is.

Ghostbusters II again wasn't as good as the original, but it was a really good movie. We only look down on it because the first was a really GREAT movie.

Of course personally, when I think of the Ghostbusters I always think back to the Real Ghostbusters cartoon. It would be nice to have something done with that property again.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I'm actually a huge fan of GB2. In some ways, I think it's even better than the first. (In others, it falls short.)

It's not a perfect comparison, but I think the difference between GB1 and 2 is a little like the transition from Lee/Ditko on Spider-Man to Lee/Romita. Less quirky, but still pretty damned quirky, and tailored for broader appeal without sacrificing the fundamentals.

I also really enjoyed the reboot film, though I didn't like it being set in a different universe than the '84 films. But now I'm thinking that worked for the best. I do hope they can find a way to fold the reboot team into the '84 extended universe. It was a great cast with good chemistry.

And I can see Bill Murray being in GB3, given the secrecy surrounding the project. It seems like the kind of mystique that would appeal to him.