Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghostbusters 3

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    The synopsis says a Ghostbuster was investigating a Shandor mining town.

The script leak says spoilers:
    Winston and Janine are married,
    the farmhouse was Ray's, the main family is Egon's, and that Rudd's character is a Shandor relative that gets possessed in a Wal-Mart and opens the gate to Hell. Seeing the recent trailer and the mini Puff clip, I'd say the leak is tracking.
    end of spoilers

The recent plasma toy line confirmed the leak a bit too with that new terror dog sentinel shown in the trailer.
    Huh. Basically bits and pieces of the video game, though spoilers:
    Winston and Janine married, didn't see that coming.
    end of spoilers

Is Sigourney Weaver in this at all? Does anybody know?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Looks like they're pretty much ignoring the Janine/Louis romance from II, or she just decided to go back to Egon (It's possible Ray went back to the bookstore from II if the ending is any indication).
    I feel like I've heard this is a direct sequel to the first movie, and that they ignore the second. But I could be wrong.

It looks great, and I can't wait to see it. Wish they weren't going to wait until November, though.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I'm a little encouraged by the trailer, it offered a sliver of hope that Reitman might achieve some genuine scares (like the 2 original films achieved so well to effectively and subversively counterbalance the comedy).

But it's one thing to do Gozer again, and another to go overboard in doing Gozer again, and this trailer has me thinking we're gonna get the latter: going overboard....with all the nostalgic call backs at the expense of taking it all more seriously, at the expense of giving Gozer a bit different modus operandi and a new fresher take.

I'm worried the film is gonna fall into the same old complaints so many big-franchise sequels get.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 07-27-2021 at 10:50 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I feel like I've heard this is a direct sequel to the first movie, and that they ignore the second. But I could be wrong.
    I remember bringing this up, how they talk about what happened in New York 1984 but not what happened on New Year's Eve 1989. Could go either way but yeah I'm getting the same feeling.

It looks great, and I can't wait to see it. Wish they weren't going to wait until November, though.
    Unless I'm missing something its only competition will be Red Notice (Rock, Gal Gadot, and Ryan Reynolds) and Encanto, so it might be ok. It probably should have been a Christmas release but, also I think people are getting antsy for it and they placed it where it could do pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I'm a little encouraged by the trailer, it offered a sliver of hope that Reitman will might achieve some genuine scares (like the 2 original films achieved so well to effectively and subversively counterbalance the comedy).

But it's one thing to do Gozer again, and another to go overboard in doing Gozer again, and this trailer has me thinking we're gonna get the latter: going overboard....with all the nostalgic call backs at the expense of taking it all more seriously, at the expense of giving Gozer a bit different modus operandi and a new fresher take.
    A part of me was hoping they'd do Tiamat, or at least an enemy of Gozer, that's one way they could have had their cake and eat it too.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    A part of me was hoping they'd do Tiamat, or at least an enemy of Gozer, that's one way they could have had their cake and eat it too.
    Ghostbusters: The Video Game (2009)* I think surprised me in conveying to me that there still is life in Gozer's story, that you really can mine (pun intended?) Gozer effectively again and do it fresh, and I'm worried this film won't achieve that. I hope I'm wrong, we'll see.

*Ghostbusters: The Video Game (2009): wow, what a great game, so much so that it feels third-movie level.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 07-27-2021 at 11:00 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I'm kind of surprised they didn't throw the theme song in there, but I guess they didn't want to be that obvious just yet .

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    The farmhouse appears to be Egon's in the trailer. And nothing in the trailer shows Janine is with Winston, the gate to Hell appears to come from a well and Rudd doesn't appear to get possessed so I'm not sure what tracks with that leak?
    Well he is in a Wal-Mart in the clips and new trailer. A walking terror dog was mentioned as a sentinel, shown in trailer and in toys.

Leaks are rumors. I would recommend spoiler tagging part of your post for people that don't want to be spoiled.

And it could still be mostly wrong. The guy that leaked got a lot of names wrong, which leads me to believe he wasn't familiar with Ghostbusters.
    Huh. Basically bits and pieces of the video game, though spoilers:
    Winston and Janine married, didn't see that coming.
    end of spoilers

Is Sigourney Weaver in this at all? Does anybody know?
    Yes, Weaver was publicly confirmed. A bit sad she wasn't in the 7 suited up plasma toy release.
    Me too but the synopsis gives me hope it is being done in a different way. But also to bring ghosts back totally because they have spin offs and a proposed live action show that needs ghosts for people to bust.

And that remote trap ... THAT was super cool!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Yes, Weaver was publicly confirmed.
    Thank goodness! If she never returns as Ripley at least she's returning as another of her 80's characters.

A bit sad she wasn't in the 7 suited up plasma toy release.
    Is it possible they're saving that for later so the toy itself isn't a spoiler?

Me too but the synopsis gives me hope it is being done in a different way. But also to bring ghosts back totally because they have spin offs and a proposed live action show that needs ghosts for people to bust.
    Yeah I'm hopeful too. Just thinking out loud I guess. This is Reitman's son who seems to have a love for the series so I think it'll be fine. I do wonder if there's a gameplan for future movies though or if this is just a love letter to fans/coda.

And that remote trap ... THAT was super cool!
    Oh that was great but I'm still geeking out on that gunner seat. Seems like something the cartoon would have done.

Oh that was great but I'm still geeking out on that gunner seat. Seems like something the cartoon would have done.
    Well, the new smaller scale toyline has the Ecto with gunner seat. And this bad boy!

Thankfully my daughter is all about that trap, so I can get one ... I mean her one.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Well, the new smaller scale toyline has the Ecto with gunner seat. And this bad boy!

Thankfully my daughter is all about that trap, so I can get one ... I mean her one.
    lol it does look awesome

I'm purposely not highlighting any spoiler boxes, but here's Jason Reitman's breakdown of the latest trailer:

I also hope that it's not just a greatest hits rehash (like Coming 2 America), but that the whole setting and the focus on a child cast towards a different direction.

Plus, it's very good to see old mainstays like Ecto-1 in environments that we've never seen them before (at least in movies).

It also highlights one of the things I appreciated about the 2016 film: its adherence that the technology should look like it was cobbled together, DIY, home-made. This consistency across all four films really adds to the common denominator appeal of the franchise.

I’m still hoping that Rudd actually suits up as a Ghostbuster and isn’t just there to be possessed by Zuul or Vinz Clortho. He’s being chased by a terror dog and then we see what appears to be a spirit being sucked out of him. I want some adult Ghostbusters and not just the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post

Well Ray’s Occult bookstore wasn’t introduced until Ghostbusters II so there’s already a reference to the sequel in this trailer.
    Last edited by Robotman; 07-27-2021 at 12:22 PM.

I'm just not really big on this foucsing on the kids so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I’m still hoping that Rudd actually suits up as a Ghostbuster and isn’t just there to be possessed by Zuul or Vinz Clortho. He’s being chased by a terror dog and then we see what appears to be a spirit being sucked out of him. I want some adult Ghostbusters and not just the kids.

Well Ray’s Occult bookstore wasn’t introduced until Ghostbusters II so there’s already a reference to the sequel in this trailer.
    I think some people took Reitman's comment out of context as it was in reference to the GB16:ATC film.

Rudd was going to be in the pre GB16 sequel (it got canned due to Year One's failure) and joked back in the 90s during a Clueless interview he wanted to be a Ghostbuster.

It would be a shame if he never suited up but I dunno ... him being in town seems suspect to me more given the new trailer.

I'm fine with the kids busting as we need a new generation of kids to love this to take it forward. They don't seem annoying like the Junior GBs were in the cartoon. Finn is a great actor as is Grace ... don't know anything about the kids playing Lucky or Podcast.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 07-27-2021 at 12:36 PM.