Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghostbusters 3

Quote Originally Posted by trooper_thorn View Post
    I genuinely want to see this movie. I have no idea if it'll be good or not but it has my attention which is quite different from the 2016 one.

Anyway, I'me curious about the budget and couldn't find any details on it. The original two films were made for roughly $70 million when adjusted for inflation while the 2016 film cost at least $144 million (probably closer to $155 million). Judging by the look of the film I'm guessing it'll be closer to the former and not the latter.
    Jason Reitman said he used more practical affects (even the teaser used hand-cut letters!) and talked about using very little ghosts in the movie, relying on scenic dread.

Dan Aykroyd said the budget would be way under $100 million and hinted it would be between $30 and 50 million.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Also monkey wrench into fan theories:

"The Summerville set dressing in Drumheller was posted. It was also rumored the house and barn might belong to Peter or Ray, not Egon, but the family is his.

Also, glimpsed on set was a half dug-in Containment Unit from New York, with 'light will flash if leak occurs' sign."
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 12-09-2019 at 02:10 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    (I'll leave the Ecto debate to someone else I can't really tell them apart)
    The "ECTO-1" license plate is kinda the giveaway.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Jason Reitman said he used more practical affects (even the teaser used hand-cut letters!) and talked about using very little ghosts in the movie, relying on scenic dread.

Dan Aykroyd said the budget would be way under $100 million and hinted it would be between $30 and 50 million.

that's definitely a good sign, the primary thing that sunk the 2016 movie was it's bloated budget. Assuming a $50 million budget it'll probably need to make about $175 million to $200 million to break even which is doable.

I wonder if that ghost they’re chasing will end up being Slimer in the final cut. Seemed kind of like a blueish almost shapeless ghost. Almost like we aren’t seeing the final cgi version of whatever it’s suppose to be. I hope it’s Slimer and not some new ghost sidekick/mascot.

Astonishing Member

In terms of tone, this teaser feels like what little kids in the '80s thought Ghostbusters was while the jokes in the original movie sailed over their heads.

I say this as someone whose younger brother was a big Ghostbusters fan when he was little. My brother didn't even know the original movie was supposed to be a comedy until he rewatched it in college.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    In terms of tone, this teaser feels like what little kids in the '80s thought Ghostbusters was while the jokes in the original movie sailed over their heads.

I say this as someone whose younger brother was a big Ghostbusters fan when he was little. My brother didn't even know the original movie was supposed to be a comedy until he rewatched it in college.
    It was a horror/comedy. The horror aspect was definitely there in the first movies and missing from the remake

WOULD Reitman and Akroyd indicate they are ignoring part 2 (I'll leave the Ecto debate to someone else I can't really tell them apart) beforehand? That's an interesting rebuttal but ok. But as a fan of Ghostbusters 2 I'll still have hope.
    In the videogame they use ecto 1 but if you look in the window in the back of the firehouse the ghostbusters 2 sign and the ghostbusters 2 car (under a sheet) are stored away in the back. So in the game it's two cars.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I've always loved GHOSTBUSTERS II and never understood the hate.

Tonally, the transition from the first to second film is a lot like comparing Lee/Ditko's Spider-Man to Lee/Romita's. You trade off some of the quirkiness (not all of it, mind you) for a broader appeal. GHOSTBUSTERS II emphasized aspects kids already saw in the franchise--including that it was, in fact, a franchise!

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post

Tonally, the transition from the first to second film is a lot like comparing Lee/Ditko's Spider-Man to Lee/Romita's. You trade off some of the quirkiness (not all of it, mind you) for a broader appeal. GHOSTBUSTERS II emphasized aspects kids already saw in the franchise--including that it was, in fact, a franchise!
    It's the exact same movie with less humor and an overly jingoistic ending.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

There's not really hate but disappointment.

I've always enjoyed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    It's the exact same movie with less humor and an overly jingoistic ending.
    Well, I'd fight you on the humor. "Is the atomic weight of cobalt 58.9?" Is a great joke among others.

It's a different movie up until the rise in act II. Then it becomes a rehash and everything else it is criticized for. It's a prime example of studio meddling. They had to change the color of the slime to be less scary, they didn't want the Lady Liberty being the bad guy, the didn't want the baby becoming the bad guy, they wanted Dana back as a love interest for Peter instead of the new one planned, they didn't want Janine with Egon, they didn't like the big bad that schools the GBs being Russian, they didn't like Vigo killing nuns in the opening, and they didn't want the Ghostbusters dying among others. They also cut so much of the film that had full effect scenes, that Akroyd and the director have said you can change the whole movie with those back in. Murray read and signed on with a different version of the script than they shot with, so he wasn't too happy, hence his hesitation for big franchises afterwards.

Gotta love those overbearing producers.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 12-10-2019 at 11:18 AM.

Most of slimers scenes were cut also. Slimer is based more on the cartoon version. That is why he is hanging out at the firehouse and is a good guy.

Yah I agree, and in fact might like GBII a little bit better. Seems less cliche, in a way.

What you are saying also applies to the Matrix movies. All three are the same movie, but the first one is somehow more original and better. I don't get it at all. Its not like the Batman series that has ups and downs all over the place. Matrix is the same formula. So is GB.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    There's not really hate but disappointment.

I've always enjoyed it.

Well, I'd fight you on the humor. "Is the atomic weight of cobalt 58.9?" Is a great joke among others.

It's a different movie up until the rise in act II. Then it becomes a rehash and everything else it is criticized for. It's a prime example of studio meddling. They had to change the color of the slime to be less scary, they didn't want the Lady Liberty being the bad guy, the didn't want the baby becoming the bad guy, they wanted Dana back as a love interest for Peter instead of the new one planned, they didn't want Janine with Egon, they didn't like the big bad that schools the GBs being Russian, they didn't like Vigo killing nuns in the opening, and they didn't want the Ghostbusters dying among others. They also cut so much of the film that had full effect scenes, that Akroyd and the director have said you can change the whole movie with those back in. Murray read and signed on with a different version of the script than they shot with, so he wasn't too happy, hence his hesitation for big franchises afterwards.

Gotta love those overbearing producers.
    That’s interesting. Sounds like it was going to be a lot darker but the suits were concerned with toy sales. I can imagine a tone similar to the scene in the abandoned subway tunnels, but throughout the film. I remember being a little kid in the theater and the scene with the severed heads on pikes scared the hell out of me. Would have loved to have seen Akroyd’s original vision.

Overall I think it’s still an enjoyable film and gets way too much hate. But if your following up one of the greatest movies of all time, there’s bound to be disappointment.

The new trailer seems to be under the assumption that the original Ghostbusters was a Steven Spielberg movie, and that characters were Jedi or Optimus Prime.

Honestly, this looks like a completely mediocre film that's going to get the easiest free pass from fans just because it's not the last movie.