Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghostbusters 3

One cool touch I think was the return of the "pink protoplasm" visual of the original, when the Ghosts broke out of the containment field (Set to "It's Magic", although only a specific, fittingly eerie part of the song).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I feel like I've heard this is a direct sequel to the first movie, and that they ignore the second. But I could be wrong.

It looks great, and I can't wait to see it. Wish they weren't going to wait until November, though.
    Looking at it again, the store does seem to be at least a occult books store. Ray even has a similar red phone.

However, it could just be a slight nod and GBII could still not be continuity necessarily. Maybe Ray just went on a similar path. For example: Terminator sequels. Like Arnold still becomes a "nice", almost fatherly Terminator in both Genysis and Dark Fate despite them being totally separate continuities. Or Brenda getting killed off in different ways in different Highlander sequels.

I think the animated series even toyed with the concept of a Ghostbusters "multiverse" by explaining that the movie was a dramatization of their "real" adventures in the cartoon.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 07-27-2021 at 01:08 PM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    However, it could just be a slight nod and GBII could still not be continuity necessarily.
    Considering Afterlife director Jason Reitman is actually in Ivan Reitman's GBII, and considering there's absolutely no reason to exclude GBII from continuity, it's far more likely GBII is canon/continuity. All of this besides that Ray's store being clearly shown/referenced in Afterlife (as confirmed via a very recent interview with Jason Reitman).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 07-27-2021 at 01:53 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Could be, like the Jurassic World films kind of gloss over the first two sequels but they're still generally accepted canon (Sorna is mentioned in Fallen Kingdom; tie-ins/marketing for JW also explained that the unusual dinosaurs from III were a classified "test run" for the new park).

Even in GBII it seems like a lot of what the Ghostbusters did has been sort of swept under the rug or explained as some kind of mass hallucination/fakery.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Looking at it again, the store does seem to be at least a occult books store. Ray even has a similar red phone.

However, it could just be a slight nod and GBII could still not be continuity necessarily. Maybe Ray just went on a similar path. For example: Terminator sequels. Like Arnold still becomes a "nice", almost fatherly Terminator in both Genysis and Dark Fate despite them being totally separate continuities. Or Brenda getting killed off in different ways in different Highlander sequels.

I think the animated series even toyed with the concept of a Ghostbusters "multiverse" by explaining that the movie was a dramatization of their "real" adventures in the cartoon.
    They did! And it had some great jokes about it.

(my favorite joke is here if you want to skip to it)

As an aside, Sony has been releasing RGB cartoons on their Youtube channel every Saturday and Extreme GB episodes on Wednesday to hype the release of the new movie. They are on a holiday break, but looks like they are coming back shortly!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Considering Afterlife director Jason Reitman is actually in Ivan Reitman's GBII, and considering there's absolutely no reason to exclude GBII from continuity, it's far more likely GBII is canon/continuity. All of this besides that Ray's store being clearly shown/referenced in Afterlife (as confirmed via a very recent interview with Jason Reitman).
    This.
    They've also said the second film is still canon. Not sure why there is speculation it isn't. Paul Rudds character states the Ghostbusters haven't been seen in 30 years. So 90/91 is likely when they folded.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 07-28-2021 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    This.
    They've also said the second film is still canon. Not sure why there is speculation it isn't. Paul Rudds character states the Ghostbusters haven't been seen in 30 years.
    With the movie being set in 2019, that puts it at 1989.

Something must've happened right after New Year's Eve!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I love the first two Ghostbusters films and I even liked the 2016 version, but I can't for the life of me muster up any sort of interest in this "sequel".

This.
    They've also said the second film is still canon. Not sure why there is speculation it isn't. Paul Rudds character states the Ghostbusters haven't been seen in 30 years.
    I wouldn't doubt that the sequel is still canon. It's just that the sequel isn't as loved. Hell, they only in the past few years finally released GB2 on blu ray with actual special features.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    With the movie being set in 2019, that puts it at 1989.

Something must've happened right after New Year's Eve!
    30 years after the second film. Is it explicitly stated the film is set in 2019? With the release originally 2020 and now 2021 due to delays, it is likely 1990/1991. We will know for sure when it drops. But it is safe to say that the second film is still in continuity. Despite being despised, why would they ditch it when the same production team from the original made it? Also 2 is obviously still in cannon given Ray has gone back to run the Occult Bookstore.

This.
    They've also said the second film is still canon. Not sure why there is speculation it isn't. Paul Rudds character states the Ghostbusters haven't been seen in 30 years. So 90/91 is likely when they folded.
    It seems that ghost activity isn't a constant or even at a level to keep the team in business for very long. It’s an interesting reason why Ray, Egon, and Peter’s dream of franchising the Ghostbusters world wide never happens. There are the occasional hauntings here and there but only when there’s an incursion into our dimension from a powerful supernatural being is there enough ghost activity to keep them going.

All that equipment has to be crazy expensive, not to mention the cost of paying rent in New York

Unless we’re told otherwise, the Ghostbusters video game is the third story in the franchise. That takes place in 1991, so that would work out with Rudd’s character saying it’s been 30 years since they’ve been around.
    Last edited by Robotman; 07-28-2021 at 08:03 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    It seems that ghost activity isn't a constant or even at a level to keep the team in business for very long. It’s an interesting reason why Ray, Egon, and Peter’s dream of franchising the Ghostbusters world wide never happens. There are the occasional hauntings here and there but only when there’s an incursion into our dimension from a powerful supernatural being is there enough ghost activity to keep them going.

All that equipment has to be crazy expensive, not to mention the cost of paying rent in New York

Unless we’re told otherwise, the Ghostbusters video game is the third story in the franchise. That takes place in 1991, so that would work out with Rudd’s character saying it’s been 30 years since they’ve been around.
    I'm hoping the game remains canon. But I think they might just want to adhere to the 2 films. Not everyone will have played that.

I'm hoping the game remains canon.
    I really hope so too, but you'd be correct to be nervous about this remaining canon. That Aykroyd (and Ramis) wrote the game might be the only thing that saves it as canon. We'll see.

I suspect that unless the film sorta references the game in some way (or some interview answers the question), most will assume, rightly or wrongly, it is not canon anymore.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 07-29-2021 at 06:39 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Hopefully it’s never explicitly stated that the game isn’t in continuity.

I loved that in the video game you actually get to fight Ivo Shandor. The area that Egon was investigating before his death was called Shandor Mines. Would be interesting if Shandor came back in an actual movie.

I was thinking...for all that the Ghostbusters bust ghosts, they could also be called Godbusters since a lot the creatures they tackle aren't "ghosts" at all, but merely "supernatural" creatures that are Gozer or minions of Gozer. It will be 2 of 3 films now where this is the case. Terror Dogs, Gozer, Vinz Clortho, Zuul....cosmic entities, god, demigods, but not really ghosts.

The story is always non-ghost other dimensional cosmic stuff greatly aiding the manifestation of ghosts on earth. This origin of mood slime that helped magnify Vigo's reach/power is even indirectly related to Gozer (via a Sloar from another dimension).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-06-2021 at 05:11 AM.