Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Ghostbusters 3

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    The early reactions for Ghostbusters Afterlife seems positive. I am very much looking forward to the movie and I think the trailers have been great so far. Seems to be the sequel Ghostbusters fans have been waiting YEARS for.

Side note, I wonder if the 2009 Ghostbusters Video Game is still canon. When that game came out it was be promoted as the third film in a way. The story is solid and it's still the BEST Ghostbusters game out there. If the game is still canon, then Afterlife should technically be Ghostbusters 4.
    It's good to hear there's another good movie in the franchise. I don't hate GB2 but it wasn't quite as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Honestly while there was definitely people who disliked it simply because it was all female out of the gate the hate didn't gain steam until after the trailer which was just bad.

The jokes were bad and the effects looked like they were from Haunted Mansion film. Also before the trailer even dropped the whole plot of the film was leaked and all over the internet and it sounded bad then the awful trailer backed the leaks with scenes from the leaks being in the trailer. So the negative reaction before release wasn't just because of the cast being female alone.
    I won't defend the movie, or act like the negative reaction was sexism alone. It was one of the least funny comedies in recent years. But, I can't deny sexism was an element leading up to it's release.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

My reply was acknowledging "a few basement dwellers" and @Jokerz79 points out, yeah those sexist folks were there. No denial there.

The point is the film was just bad. The minority of cave dwellers whose sole hate was cause it was female is frankly equivalent to those who stated how "awesome" it was. Which struck me as just backlash that was over the top defense.

The leaked info and that first trailer didn't help assuage those of the majority that it wasn't impressive.

Leaks, unintentional or not, hurt films. I recall the horrid leaked cgi test of Wolverine Origins and Expendables 3 being pirated early ahead of US release.

Anyway, it looks like Afterlife is the better direction to continue the franchise and I look forward to it and hope it delivers.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

The cast for 2016 was alright, and I really hope somehow, someway that Kate McKinnon returns (dimensional crossrip? She was the movie's standout for me). But dang Feig's direction and co-writing a mediocre script really put it down. If anything, I blame the men (or The Man).

Having a young girl be the central protagonist seems like a compromise, but one with a myriad of possibilities, and it'd be good to approach the lore from the awe and deep-dive of a child. When I was a kid I poured hours upon hours into space books, Marvel mythology, and the Star Trek encyclopedia, and I'd love to see that reflected in-story by the kids. I'm here for GB3.
    Last edited by Cyke; 08-27-2021 at 09:00 AM.

Ultimate Member

I remember that in the female lead movie they had the guy that played Thor play the secretary, that's all fine and such but where they went wrong with me was when some of the group that made the movie described Janine from the first two movies as being the damsel in distress type and weak and such, my reaction was that they could not have seen the first two movies as she was the one that made Egon cower hide from her in how forward she was and she gave as good as she got with the others...

Ultimate Member

I don't recall her being a damsel in distress but it's not like she was actually part of the action.

But it seems like hollywood uses failures like GB2016 to justify just casting more male protagonists, instead of giving actually good scripts to female ones.

Ultimate Member

That was my point, I don't remember her being that either but some of the team and such that were making the all female version I remember made mention of how badly Janine was portrayed in the original and all, yeah she wasn't a big part of the action but not a pushover...

Ultimate Member

I guess the filmmakers of the last one wanted the female characters to have more action. Which is understandable. I just wish the actresses got a funnier script.

Just got out of Afterlife.

No spoilers- this film is a love letter, both to the original film, as well as to Harold Ramis. The score is very similar to the first movies; I think they got a relative of Elmer Bernstein's to consult on it.

McKenna Grace is a joy. She also apparently wrote a song that is played over the end credits.

I thought it was a little slow to start, but once it picked up, it was great.

While most of the ghosts were CGI, I do think they used some puppets in there at times, which I appreciated.

Only thing that made me angry- AMC was selling collectible popcorn buckets shaped like Ecto-1 (complete with flashing lights!), but they were completely sold out when I went to my show- which was only the second of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Just got out of Afterlife.

No spoilers- this film is a love letter, both to the original film, as well as to Harold Ramis. The score is very similar to the first movies; I think they got a relative of Elmer Bernstein's to consult on it.

McKenna Grace is a joy. She also apparently wrote a song that is played over the end credits.

I thought it was a little slow to start, but once it picked up, it was great.

While most of the ghosts were CGI, I do think they used some puppets in there at times, which I appreciated.

Only thing that made me angry- AMC was selling collectible popcorn buckets shaped like Ecto-1 (complete with flashing lights!), but they were completely sold out when I went to my show- which was only the second of the day.
    My friend managed to snag one of those last night. Definitely got bought up by scalpers SMH. I am going to see the film tonight and I am very much looking forward to it. If by some odd chance my AMC still has some left, I will buy one.

They are already going online for 100 bucks.

Something I'm realizing upon reflection- I feel like this movie is completely ignoring the events of Ghostbusters II. Ecto is back in it's classic configuration, and they make no mention of Vigo or the events in '89.

In the ps3 video game in the firehouse they have the classic car again and the game takes place after part 2. Go to the back door of the firehouse and look in the window and in the storage room the ghostbusters 2 sign is there and under a tarp is the ecto car from ghostbusters 2 in storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    In the ps3 video game in the firehouse they have the classic car again and the game takes place after part 2. Go to the back door of the firehouse and look in the window and in the storage room the ghostbusters 2 sign is there and under a tarp is the ecto car from ghostbusters 2 in storage.
    I never knew that!

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Something I'm realizing upon reflection- I feel like this movie is completely ignoring the events of Ghostbusters II. Ecto is back in it's classic configuration, and they make no mention of Vigo or the events in '89.
    Ray references Vigo in the phone call with Phoebe IIRC.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

This film is a very weird beast for me. On the one hand, I do love the respect it has for the previous films. However I feel that it was too shackled by nostalgia. Which isn't necessarily bad, but too many franchises fall back on this (The Force Awakens is a prime example). At its heart, this film is about family. It certainly is a love letter. But I really wanted them to push the franchise into new territory. Which may happen given where this film leaves things.

McKenna Grace really shined in this. Paul Rudd was a joy as always. Finn Wolfhard was just... there. Which is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    The point is the film was just bad. The minority of cave dwellers whose sole hate was cause it was female is frankly equivalent to those who stated how "awesome" it was. Which struck me as just backlash that was over the top defense.

Reminds me of Birds Of Prey, lol......There were a lot of people who hated it simply due to the female cast & elements, while some vocally loved it as seemingly vocal payback. It was just a crappy movie, female cast or not.