Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghostbusters 3

Ultimate Member

Almost makes me wonder if one of the new kids will be the son/daughter of one of the originals or just all new characters...

Thanks for these updates BeastieRunner!
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

I really wish they would have done a passing the torch film in 2016 instead of the reboot. Like Star Wars, Creed, old Spock meeting younger Spock, etc. Respecting the past but looking towards the future seems to resonate with fans better than just starting over. Would have loved it if Kate McKinnon’s character was Egon’s niece or something. Glad they’re finally getting to do a passing of the torch with Ghostbusters. Though the idea of teenagers as the new Ghostbusters has me a bit concerned. If they had one or even two teenagers on the team that would be interesting. But a whole crew of teenagers paranormal investigators worries me.

Astonishing Member

All they have to do is adapt Extreme and switch out Egon with Ray. Simple and clean. We get the old cast in the mix and have a passing the torch type scenario. But the door is kept open for them to stick around (Dan and Ernie will be there.) That's part of why Creed worked because it had Rocky there. Doing similar with Ghostbusters is the only way for a new film to be successful.

Also, I remember reading somewhere that the only film Moranis would ever consider coming out of retirement for would be GB 3. Heck if Murray is truly onboard for this, coaxing Moranis out to join them should be a cake walk.

Astonishing Member

For those of whom who complain that Hollywood is running out of ideas, exhibit A.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    For those of whom who complain that Hollywood is running out of ideas, exhibit A.
    Of all the 80s franchises, Ghostbusters has the longest shelf life. Pretty much anyone can be a Ghostbuster. They can have multiple branches spread out across the entire world.

And it sounds as though GB3 has the potential to close out the original team's arc in some interesting and meaningful ways (not the least of which is the idea of Peter being a ghost).

There really is the potential here to pull off something that even Star Wars didn't accomplish (given the divisions over TPM and TLJ).

Also, this is clearly a passion project on the part of Dan Ackroyd and Jason Reitman. So it's not like they're looking to just crank out a mediocre film and make a quick buck. They believe in the concept.
    Last edited by David Walton; 01-18-2019 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I really wish they would have done a passing the torch film in 2016 instead of the reboot. Like Star Wars, Creed, old Spock meeting younger Spock, etc. Respecting the past but looking towards the future seems to resonate with fans better than just starting over. Would have loved it if Kate McKinnon’s character was Egon’s niece or something.
    Yes, agreed. It also means less of a rehash as well, since it would have to be a different kind of origin story rather than trying to prove to the world that ghosts exist in the first place.

I really liked the 2016 cast, but it was mediocre in so many other areas. Holtzmann was a scene stealer.

Some more rumors and updates:

- Jason Reitman announced he used practical effects for the teaser. They plan to mix the 2 like the new Star Wars movies have. Even the text was practical.

- It was also confirmed by Ghost Corps (Sony's official wing for Ghostbusters) that Reitman/Kenan are writing the movie, and Dan is only there for technical assistance (aka proper Ghostbuster terminology). He wrote 0% of the current script but some story beats he suggested have been used.

- From the rumor side of things, the current rumor on the teenagers is that there will be 2 main ones with 2 more added late in the second act. The first will be a 13 year-old boy passionate about fantasy and conspiracy theories. The other will be a 12 year old insanely smart girl, that often has a hard time with “interpreting and expressing emotions and speaks with a flat delivery that make her observations humorous.” The girl is rumored to be a Spengler/Melnitz lovechild.

- As for the plot, we don’t have too much to go on, but the basic gist of it is that the film will focus on a family who moves back home to a small town. While there, they begin to “learn more about who they are and the secrets of the town itself.” They discover the Stantz farm and house, and a world that was ghost free for nearly 20 years after Ghostbusters Inc. wiped them out, is slowly coming back for a big invasion. There's apparently references to the "99 incident" that Ghostbusters Inc, using teamed-up worldwide franchises, defeated a large other-world invasion at the cost of 90% of Ghostbusters. Those who survived retired because the world has been relatively ghost-free since then. And these incidents in this small town in NY are the advance agents for the new invasion. They intend to take out the last remaining vestige of the Ghostbusters so they can invade with impunity. One of the OG Ghostbusters, and some others that survived the "99 incident" apparently will answer the call of help in the third act. The climax is said to involve opening a portal or gateway to other dimensions, possibly to bring in other dimensional Ghostbusters.

- As for casting, there's rumors that contradict the above character and plot details ... to a point. Joe Keery (Steve from Stranger Things) and Ariela Barer (Gert from Runaways) have been rumored to have been cast as the primary protagonists, with Ariela playing an eccentric physics and engineering nerd (think ATC Holtzman) related to a former Ghostbuster. Joe is rumored to be obsessed with conspiracy theories and all things paranormal. They meet in a class taught by Prof. Ray Stantz, discover an immanent "otherworldly" threat and try to get Ray out of retirement. Meanwhile, back in a small town, a 12 year-old boy obsessed with the Ghostbusters discovers Ray's farm and old equipment. His only friend, a 13 year-old girl with amazing science acumen and no social grace get a lot of it working again. They discover a surge in paranormal activity and try to get the town to help them only to watch the town "descend into Hell." Back in NY city, Ray finally believes the college kids (after building their own trap and catching a ghost), he gets Winston, Peter, & Janine SPENGLER () to get old equipment from Ray's family barn, only to discover the town is under siege with the 2 kids trying to stop it. They manage to stop the invasion temporarily and put out a call to get new recruits and Ghostbusters Inc. back off the ground.

- There's also talk the OGs come in and lose and the kids have to save them.

- Fresh of the high of the Spider-Man multiverse, Ghost Corps is definitely planning one for Ghostbusters as well. This has been in the works since 2015 and they are fans of how IDW has been handling it. No word on if they plan to unveil it in the movies first or the upcoming cartoons.

- This article strikes a balance between those rumors, but so far, a small town and family farm seems to be the most common rumors.

So yeah. It's wild rumor time!
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 01-18-2019 at 12:22 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I wonder if the leader of the ghost invasion is none other than Ivo Shandor. Yeah he was dispatched in the Ghostbusters video game (the unofficial GB part 3) but they can either say he’s back again or just pretend the video game story isn’t in continuity.

Speaking of the game, im so sad the company that made it went out of business. Would have loved to have seen it get revamped with updated graphics. Or hell, just use the cut scenes for an animated movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I wonder if the leader of the ghost invasion is none other than Ivo Shandor. Yeah he was dispatched in the Ghostbusters video game (the unofficial GB part 3) but they can either say he’s back again or just pretend the video game story isn’t in continuity.

Speaking of the game, im so sad the company that made it went out of business. Would have loved to have seen it get revamped with updated graphics. Or hell, just use the cut scenes for an animated movie.
    No names have been mentioned yet. And that's if these rumors are true.

And there's an animated movie coming out, BTW. Which is not a rumor. You never know ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

So... I wonder if they'll use CGI to bring back Harold Ramis as the ghost of Egon, a'la Peter Cushing in Rogue One.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    So... I wonder if they'll use CGI to bring back Harold Ramis as the ghost of Egon, a'la Peter Cushing in Rogue One.
    I doubt if they would do this, but it would be interesting.
    Last edited by Raiders; 01-19-2019 at 04:16 PM.

Astonishing Member

Ghostbusters 3 will be a must see movie to me.
    The first one i could not watch in the Cinemas back then but i watched the second one in the Cinema and even with the second one not being as good as the first one it´s still a great movie.
    So yeah,Ghostbusters 3 is the movie that i am looking forward to see in the Cinema.

Hopefully Bobby Brown will cameo. *fingers crossed*

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Ghostbusters 3 will be a must see movie to me.
    The first one i could not watch in the Cinemas back then but i watched the second one in the Cinema and even with the second one not being as good as the first one it´s still a great movie.
    So yeah,Ghostbusters 3 is the movie that i am looking forward to see in the Cinema.
    I got a chance to see the original in theaters for the 30th anniversary. It was glorious