Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37
  1. #16
    Mighty Member Thor2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    1,649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I have no real attachment to the old costume. Her new one is fine, why mess with it?
    Agreed. it's a modernization that works.

  2. #17
    Just crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I have no real attachment to the old costume. Her new one is fine, why mess with it?
    I have no real attachment to the new costume. The old one was fine, why did they mess with it!!!!!???

  3. #18
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    I have no real attachment to the new costume. The old one was fine, why did they mess with it!!!!!???
    This right here.

  4. #19
    Spectacular Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    I have no real attachment to the new costume. The old one was fine, why did they mess with it!!!!!???
    Because of the movie. She looked ridiculous and too sexy in old costume. You want Wonder Woman movie to be limited to just western market. For worldwide market her costume needed to be toned down.

  5. #20
    Just crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    Because of the movie. She looked ridiculous and too sexy in old costume. You want Wonder Woman movie to be limited to just western market. For worldwide market her costume needed to be toned down.
    You mean like the ridiculousness of having wedges on her 'boots'. Or the fact that the armor doesn't cover everything? You know, like a real warrior should be!

  6. #21
    Spectacular Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    You mean like the ridiculousness of having wedges on her 'boots'. Or the fact that the armour doesn't cover everything? You know, like a real warrior should be!
    Seriously I am pretty sure you don't want Wonder Woman to be dressed like Captain Marvel or Ironman. She doesn't need any Armour just two tiny bracelets. My only problem is the Tiara. I liked the old Tiara.

  7. #22
    Fantastic Member Joao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    495

    Default

    I personally prefer the old costume because it is instantly recognizable as Wonder Woman, but I 100% understand the need of the new costume to make the character suited for our times. It is a result of not wanting to oversexualize female characters and showing women as fierce and ready to fight (light they metaphorically do everyday in multiple ways).

    I get that these thoughts are a little dated if we consider today's feminism. A "swimsuit" should not be an excuse to sexualize someone etc. But superheroes sometimes have to find a difficult balance between old and new to be popular. Just see the UN situation as an example. The image of Diana as a stereotypical, oversexualized woman was more important than her message for a lot of people. Even if she doesn't match that description anymore.

    The warrior costume we have now is still up to improvement (I feel it's a little overcomplicated for a superhero costume), but I embrace it. Maybe it's a great costume that is just too new for everyone to accept at the moment. Maybe it doesn't have what it takes to stick. Only time will tell.

  8. #23
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    Seriously I am pretty sure you don't want Wonder Woman to be dressed like Captain Marvel or Ironman. She doesn't need any Armour just two tiny bracelets. My only problem is the Tiara. I liked the old Tiara.
    I think BiteTheBullet's argument is that people use the "practical" argument against Wonder Woman's trunks, but have no problem with the armored skirt when it has the EXACT same issues (I mean the modern outfit doesn't cover up too much more than the trunks did).

    That said...I guess we could go back to the Mod era if we want Diana to really cover up
    Last edited by Mistah K88; 01-18-2019 at 12:59 PM.

  9. #24
    Fantastic Member Gurz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    480

    Default

    I know this is blasphemy but i like the new 52 costume... The gold parts which were changed by iron parts looked more dignified. The gold shows her as a little bit provincial... lol You know like Xerxes in 300 or something... Only a persian would love to be covered with so many gold... lol it's tasteless
    Last edited by Gurz; 01-18-2019 at 01:02 PM.
    Bad bad boy with a bad bad girl in a bad bad world.

    Favorite DC Charaters:
    1-Batman, 2-Nightwing, 3-Black Adam, 4-Cassandra Cain, 5-Aquaman,6-Catwoman, 7- Wesley Dodds (Sandman),8-Green Lantern, 9-Supergirl, 10-Green Arrow
    Favorite Marvel Characters:
    1-Wolverine, 2-Blade, 3-Punisher, 4-Daredevil
    Favorite Image, Top Cow Characters:
    1-Darkness, 2-Witchblade, 3-Invincible, 4-Spawn, 5-Dragon
    Favorite Valiant Characters:
    1-Bloodshot

  10. #25
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    Because of the movie. She looked ridiculous and too sexy in old costume. You want Wonder Woman movie to be limited to just western market. For worldwide market her costume needed to be toned down.
    Mera wasn't toned down for Aquaman, why should Aquaman get comic book accuracy but Wonder Woman has to be fixed to be acceptable?

  11. #26
    Spectacular Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Mera wasn't toned down for Aquaman, why should Aquaman get comic book accuracy but Wonder Woman has to be fixed to be acceptable?
    Really, you don't know the difference Mera and WW comic costume.

  12. #27
    Spectacular Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    I think BiteTheBullet's argument is that people use the "practical" argument against Wonder Woman's trunks, but have no problem with the armored skirt when it has the EXACT same issues (I mean the modern outfit doesn't cover up too much more than the trunks did).

    That said...I guess we could go back to the Mod era if we want Diana to really cover up
    I clearly stated that her swimwear is too sexy and considered to be undergarments in many other cultures. I never said the current costume was practical but simply acceptable for worldwide market. You can try Bikini version, just don't blame DC when she gets the Adult rating or even gets Banned in countries. Already she got kicked out of UN royally for the same reason

    Also, Marvel has done the same thing to Gamora, Scarlet Witch, Captain Marvel etc.

  13. #28
    Extraordinary Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,627

    Default

    I'd be fine if they did, but also fine if they don't. I think it will come back in some capacity eventually, maybe even in part due to a dubious nostalgia driven creative decision, but the new costume still makes her recognizable and is successful, so why screw around with success?

    I like the old costume and think of that as the definite default if we can't get an update that works. It just so happens that they did.

    Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Have you seen or taken a poll, or is this just anecdotal evidence?

    Because I am not much of a fan of the New52 or movie version of her costume.
    They've experimented with giving her new costumes before and they typically do not last very long. The fact that this one is still around and not going away any time soon is a strong indicator that it is well liked and satisfies the greatest number of people.

    Superman's trunks came back. There is no similar outcry for the bathing suit or else we'd see it sooner rather than later.

  14. #29
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    Really, you don't know the difference Mera and WW comic costume.
    I know the comic book accurate WW costume was okay for 1970's censors and prime time network television and could have worked in 2017 if given a chance.

  15. #30
    Spectacular Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I know the comic book accurate WW costume was okay for 1970's censors and prime time network television and could have worked in 2017 if given a chance.
    In the west! She wore a mini skirt, then Trunks and then came the swimwear so her dress is comic book accurate.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •