Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Flip the genders and... oh, that is not right

Imagine the ruckus this would cause if the genders were reversed. This scene really makes me uncomfortable.

Other examples that comes to your mind?

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post

Imagine the ruckus this would cause if the genders were reversed. This scene really makes me uncomfortable.

Why cause of the slapping? She couldn't hurt him if her life depended on it a 1000 hers couldn't physical hurt him. A Male guy hitting a super powered girl wouldnt he upsetting. I mean no one cared that Colossus gave in a hit the shit out of ummm angel dust? No no that's a drug. STAR dust? Dont think that's right either. Iono something dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Why cause of the slapping? She couldn't hurt him if her life depended on it a 1000 hers couldn't physical hurt him. A Male guy hitting a super powered girl wouldnt he upsetting. I mean no one cared that Colossus gave in a hit the shit out of ummm angel dust? No no that's a drug. STAR dust? Dont think that's right either. Iono something dust.
    Come on, it's not about who's more powerful. How can you even compare this with Colossus and Angel Dust, that was a fight between a superhero and a supervillain. They were not a couple.

Feel bad saying this because I really liked her in today's trailer but IMO if MJ had been a boy and Peter a girl in Homecoming she would had come off as stalkerish and a little creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Feel bad saying this because I really liked her in today's trailer but IMO if MJ had been a boy and Peter a girl in Homecoming she would had come off as stalkerish and a little creepy.
    This one isn't really a gender problem. I've seen many movies and tv shows that play off stalking for humour, no matter the gender.

Though I do think males stalking females is called out more often than the other way around.

This one isn't really a gender problem. I've seen many movies and tv shows that play off stalking for humour, no matter the gender.

Though I do think males stalking females is called out more often than the other way around.
    I've seen a lot of lifetime movies especially Christmas ones with my mum during the Holiday season and they play a lot of stuff as sweet and romantic that if a guy any sane person would be like ok call the cops. It's just a troupe I've picked up on over the years.

Jesus Peggy.

This reminds me of how Peter got off for stalking Gwen pretty quickly in ASM2 .

Jesus Peggy.
    When I saw TFA way back when I thought of skit based on this scene where in the shield was not bullet proof. Also how has no one brought up Hope punching Scott? The scene was funny but flip the genders and well you know.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post
    When I saw TFA way back when I thought of skit based on this scene where in the shield was not bullet proof. Also how has no one brought up Hope punching Scott? The scene was funny but flip the genders and well you know.
    she was training him to fight. he invited her to hit him. it wasn't a sucker punch. she was genuinely trying to prepare him for a fight. they had gear on.

Maybe but, if a six and a half foot tall, 200+ pounds man walked up and slapped a five and a half foot tall, 120 or so pounds woman, it's a little different than a 120 lb. woman doing that to a huge man. I agree with the sentiment that the gender and size doesn't give her the right to do that though there's no way it was hurting him in the slightest.

Now, if you could find a 6'6", 200 pound woman who was a bodybuilder and have her slapping a small man like that, it might be taken very negatively.

Not thinking of other scenes like that in recent stuff though, if I go back to my childhood, all sorts of movies and shows with some serious sexism by today's standards.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member

Eh Deadpool grabbing Colossus by the ass even after he moves his hand. And let's not even talk about the end fight between Colossus and Juggernaut...Change the recipients gender in either of those scenes ppl would have come out with pitchforks and torches.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 01-16-2019 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post
    Well, this is Film/TV forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    she was training him to fight. he invited her to hit him. it wasn't a sucker punch. she was genuinely trying to prepare him for a fight. they had gear on.
    And this.

Come on, it's not about who's more powerful. How can you even compare this with Colossus and Angel Dust, that was a fight between a superhero and a supervillain. They were not a couple.
    The point being the stigma is seen as being the man is more powerful so the girl needs to be protected. Not true but that's why this is ok and but swapping it wouldn't be. It's also ok for colossus because she was equally strong and like u said a supervillain. But let be honest if some 300lb women was beating on some 120lb guy in the grocery store people would get involved. But if a 120lb girl was slapping some 250lb guy people would laugh or tell them to take it somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    The point being the stigma is seen as being the man is more powerful so the girl needs to be protected. Not true but that's why this is ok and but swapping it wouldn't be. It's also ok for colossus because she was equally strong and like u said a supervillain. But let be honest if some 300lb women was beating on some 120lb guy in the grocery store people would get involved. But if a 120lb girl was slapping some 250lb guy people would laugh or tell them to take it somewhere else.
    Ok, let's play a bit of hypotheticals. If Captain Marvel has a human boyfriend and said boyfriend slaps CM, do you think nobody would say anything? Do you really think that would be played for laughs? I don't think so.

When I said 'flip the genders', I meant just meant reverse the genders, not the roles. If Thor was a woman and Jane was a man, no way that scene would fly, even if everyone knows Man!Jane would not be able to hurt Woman!Thor one bit.

By the way, I don't think the bolded is true every time, or even most times. I think most people would either say, "the man must've done something to deserve it" or worse "whohoo! girl power!"