Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I agree with you that all this is really messed up and also disappointing for those of you who were still enjoying his Superman. While I gave up on his Superman run some time ago I can and do sympathize with you. I was actually going to give this book another go with Jon returning (since I do like the character quite a lot) but from what I'm hearing here I may as well just skip it.
    I think the jury won't be out until after the Jor el situation is dealt with and all the flashbacks end. So maybe, it won't be that bad. And voice for older jon is better by bendis than kid jon, which is atrocious (my opinion) . So maybe you can try it, to know what new jon is.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I am just going to leave this here because i found it funny
    LMAO, nonsensical storytelling 101 baby
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I think the jury won't be out until after the Jor el situation is dealt with and all the flashbacks end. So maybe, it won't be that bad. And voice for older jon is better by bendis than kid jon, which is atrocious (my opinion) . So maybe you can try it, to know what new jon is.
    I don't think so. To be honest its very rare for me to ever come back to a book once I've dropped it (at least until a new creative team comes on) and Jon's return would have been enough for me to do so with this one. However, I just don't like what I'm hearing about the execution of it and frankly story execution was one of the many reasons I dropped the book in the first place. I'm not in the habit of keeping on with a book that I honestly haven't enjoyed and these days, with a new house and all, I simply don't have the extra funds to take the chance on it "getting better" at some undetermined point.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

This was mostly set up, and focused a lot on Jon, but I liked it. Not a fan of the kid, so he's already more interesting to me with these new developments.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    This was mostly set up, and focused a lot on Jon, but I liked it. Not a fan of the kid, so he's already more interesting to me with these new developments.
    I am curious about this. I have heard this couple of times today.what is so different about this jon from what jurgens wrote him as. That you and others seem to like more than before.the only difference i noticed is "pa" thing.

I am curious about this. I have heard this couple of times today.what is so different about this jon from what jurgens wrote him as. That you and others seem to like more than before.the only difference i noticed is "pa" thing.
    I know some are hoping that his experiences out in space will make him less of a “Clark Jr.”, give him more differences from his dad.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

The funny thing is that he was written as a Lois jr. Maybe people would "get" him going back with that in mind?
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I know some are hoping that his experiences out in space will make him less of a “Clark Jr.”, give him more differences from his dad.
    that is the thing, we did not even have a hint of jon's travel experience changing him in this issue. he was as jurgens wrote him. Which was the first building block of jon (the base)
    And then Tomasi made him a bit more modern. Gave him an anime aesthetic, personality, powers and fightingstyle that matches shonen anime characters. He also gave rough and tumble nature which is kept. But, other that he is basically as jurgens wrote him.So, i don't understand the sudden interest in him.
    From where i stand the similarities have only increased between him and Clark. Especially, if "pa" thing is any indication
    I could understand drastic changes making naysayers fans. but nothing like that happened other than the age. Which can always be reversed. So, would they start to be naysayers again, then?
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-16-2019 at 05:52 PM.

Kon93

I am just going to leave this here because i found it funny

Omg this would be a lot funnier if he didnt write her like this.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I have been enjoying the hell out of Bendis's stuff more than any Superman comics since All Star Superman, but even I've got to admit that the whole Jor-El/Jon/Lois subplot doesn't make a lot of sense.

Lois & Clark already knew that Jor-El was dangerously unstable. They witnessed this firsthand in the Oz Effect. The only reason I bought the idea of letting Jon explore space with him was because Lois insisted on coming to make keep an eye on them. I was expecting a better explanation for why Lois felt she could leave Jon with someone as crazy as Jor-El than witnessing Jon save a planet. It's not like Bendis isn't a parent. He must know how reckless this makes Lois look.

I'm honestly baffled.

I'm still loving these comics, but between this misstep and the complete dud that is Rogal Zarr, Bendis's run is definitely not without its problems.

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I have been enjoying the hell out of Bendis's stuff more than any Superman comics since All Star Superman, but even I've got to admit that the whole Jor-El/Jon/Lois subplot doesn't make a lot of sense.

Lois & Clark already knew that Jor-El was dangerously unstable. They witnessed this firsthand in the Oz Effect. The only reason I bought the idea of letting Jon explore space with him was because Lois insisted on coming to make keep an eye on them. I was expecting a better explanation for why Lois felt she could leave Jon with someone as crazy as Jor-El than witnessing Jon save a planet. It's not like Bendis isn't a parent. He must know how reckless this makes Lois look.

I'm honestly baffled.

I'm still loving these comics, but between this misstep and the complete dud that is Rogal Zarr, Bendis's run is definitely not without its problems.
    This is where I'm at.as a parent bendis writing Clark and even more lois is off,very off.

I do look forward to these books though,it feels new,and I like the real feel bendis gives characters,even though i think he pushes it to far and instead makes them feel fake

To add to my previous post, its still good. I loved the three of them together. I don't know about this Bendis speak. But i think his dialogues work well. And this time Lois' smell didn't feel awkward. The outer space stuff was actually good. But i would have preferred another issue. This felt rushed.

There's no going around the fact that Lois' leaving so soon was a mistake. I think no one is going to forget that. However its not catastrophic imo. As they say to err is human.

Its a flawed issue no doubt. But i must say i think Bendis writes the family in a fun manner. I look forward to that.

Her leaving was a mistake definitely, she's not perfect and I think the overwhelming nature of everything contributed to it. But thankfully I don't foresee Jon or Clark blaming her for any of this. Jon seems to even recognize that her leaving when she did likely saved her life. He seemed very concerned she didn't make it home herself, and possibly came to believe that Jor El would have harmed her had she not left.

And honestly, other than calling Clark, which we know would have been useless, she was essentially there at Jor El's mercy. This would have played out the same whether or not she stayed.

I really hate that exactly what I thought would happen with Bendis is actually happening. After years of him destroying characters at marvel and writing them out of character, I guess it's now DC's turn.I mean Lois has absolutely been butchered as a character during his run. And yet Bendis just keeps trying to justify this incredibly out of character decisions within the book even though they make no sense to anyone who likes Lois Lane. I know people don't like how she is portrayed in HIC but because that is a major DC event and not a Superman title I kinda give that a pass, especially since while I think it is out of character for Lois,the idea of her protecting the identity of those involved and running the article because she fears someone else will run it without attempting to protect the heroes is kinda understandable. But the Lois in these issues makes no sense, she is written inconsistently in every issue, the forced separation with Clark , her leaving Jon in space with a guy who a few issues ago was attacking the family, even her dialogue is way off. Still can't get over the whole "baby" fiasco that made her come across like a cheating spouse. It's only been a year or so but the great stories for lois like her putting on the hellbat suit to protect her family seem like they way in the past now. Lois has gone from that to prioritizing a book over her family.

With Clark soon leaving town I am fully expecting a new Bendis created character to come into the book and take over the role of Superman. Based on his recent Marvel work I would say we are about 12-18 months away from Bendis outright replacing Clark as Superman for a year or so with some character he has created.

It's sad that the awesome stuff that was happening in these books prior to bendis taking over seems to be completely gone.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    This is where I'm at.as a parent bendis writing Clark and even more lois is off,very off.

I do look forward to these books though,it feels new,and I like the real feel bendis gives characters,even though i think he pushes it to far and instead makes them feel fake
    Honestly...Bendis could've just had Jor-El brainwash Lois into leaving. That would've explained her suddenly being okay with leaving Jon,and would've fit with Jor-El being crazy