Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    BANNED

it was the super suit! grandpa jor els highly advanced suit subliminally caused Lois to give in to her insecurities and flee! that or its a nu52 Lois reemerges situation taking over rebirth lois. after all why should only nusuperman have all the fun? lol

Imo Lois first priority was always Jon even before Clark so abonding him with the grandpa who is absolutely not thrustworthy and dangerous is abysmal writing as it worst!
    The worst part is something that many dont consider is that Clark and Jon excusing her behavior so something like brainwashing is not the case in this scenario!

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Her leaving was a mistake definitely, she's not perfect and I think the overwhelming nature of everything contributed to it. But thankfully I don't foresee Jon or Clark blaming her for any of this. Jon seems to even recognize that her leaving when she did likely saved her life. He seemed very concerned she didn't make it home herself, and possibly came to believe that Jor El would have harmed her had she not left.

And honestly, other than calling Clark, which we know would have been useless, she was essentially there at Jor El's mercy. This would have played out the same whether or not she stayed.
    See, that is my problem. Jon having no problems feels freaking, insulting. He might concerned for her well being. But not having an underlying resentments is not how things work. And l did not buy any of the arguments for her that was put forward, today. atleast, the 3 weeks thing makes it a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    See, that is my problem. Jon having no problems feels freaking, insulting. He might concerned for her well being. But not having an underlying resentments is not how things work. And l did not buy any of the arguments for her that was put forward, today. atleast, the 3 weeks thing makes it a lot better.
    nah, Jon just came back after 7 years of not knowing if his mother made it back and on top of that he had a quest to stop his gramps, I can see how screaming or showing snark at his mother would take a backseat. This is 17 year old Jon, who had to survive in space alone, he probably learn to prioritize and be less control by emotion then 10 year old Jon. (at least I hope)

I'm not saying Jon is going to be 100% fine but its probably going to be a slow burn or a build up. I can see after finally settling everything, knowing that he's home and no longer having to fend for himself. Him suddenly blowing up and coming to a realization of what he missed, after telling his parents over and over that everything was fine.

(of course this is just me speculating )
    Last edited by Flashback; 01-17-2019 at 02:58 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    I'm not saying Jon is going to be 100% fine but its probably going to be a slow burn or a build up. I can see after finally settling everything, knowing that he's home and no longer having to fend for himself. Him suddenly blowing up and coming to a realization of what he missed, after telling his parents over and over that everything was fine
    I can see that. I mean, Bendis already showed how his family being gone for just three weeks affected Clark emotionally, he was beating up the Moon at one point.

that is the thing, we did not even have a hint of jon's travel experience changing him in this issue. he was as jurgens wrote him. Which was the first building block of jon (the base)
    And then Tomasi made him a bit more modern. Gave him an anime aesthetic, personality, powers and fightingstyle that matches shonen anime characters. He also gave rough and tumble nature which is kept. But, other that he is basically as jurgens wrote him.So, i don't understand the sudden interest in him.
    From where i stand the similarities have only increased between him and Clark. Especially, if "pa" thing is any indication
    I could understand drastic changes making naysayers fans. but nothing like that happened other than the age. Which can always be reversed. So, would they start to be naysayers again, then?
    If I had to say why, then I would have to say that his older Jon represents "open possibility" (probably using it wrong) as readers, we essentially don't really know what older Jon personality is going to be yet. So if you weren't a fan of younger Jon for whatever reason, this new Jon at this time and moment can be whatever we want him to be.

I hope what I said made sense to you?

nah, Jon just came back after 7 years of not knowing if his mother made it back and on top of that he had a quest to stop his gramps, I can see how screaming or showing snark at his mother would take a backseat. This is 17 year old Jon, who had to survive in space alone, he probably learn to prioritize and be less control by emotion then 10 year old Jon. (at least I hope)

I'm not saying Jon is going to be 100% fine but its probably going to be a slow burn or a build up. I can see after finally settling everything, knowing that he's home and no longer having to fend for himself. Him suddenly blowing up and coming to a realization of what he missed, after telling his parents over and over that everything was fine.

(of course this is just me speculating )
    I never said anything about Jon being snarky at his mother. Jon has never been a snarky person. He isn't spiderman or something. But, if the story is trivialising this then. It is stupid. Kid just had his childhood destroyed. He would want to blame someone. However irrational that maybe.

I never said anything about Jon being snarky at his mother. Jon has never been a snarky person. He isn't spiderman or something. But, if the story is trivialising this then. It is stupid. Kid just had his childhood destroyed. He would want to blame someone. However irrational that maybe.
    Then perhaps he'll blame the actual culprit, his grandpa ?

It's clearly hinted at that he hold Jor-El responsible for whatever happened out there which led him on his seven years quest to return home, after all.

If what happened after Lois departure put him in danger, he was probably happy that his mother wasn't here. And he can't blame his dad when he wanted to go home.

Plus Bendis interviews hint at Jon having an awesome character arc coming, so I'm quite happy with the change.

Bonus point if he wasks to see Damian as soon as possible.

Astonishing Member

He could be taking responsibility of his choices since he was the one that insisted on going on this little trip with his grandfather, so he doesn't really have anyone to blame for how things played out. Yes he had it rough especially with Jor being off his rocker once Lois left them for earth and he's made the best of a bad situation. Whatever angst will be mined from his time away, I don't think it will be directed at his parents.

If I had to say why, then I would have to say that his older Jon represents "open possibility" (probably using it wrong) as readers, we essentially don't really know what older Jon personality is going to be yet. So if you weren't a fan of younger Jon for whatever reason, this new Jon at this time and moment can be whatever we want him to be.

I hope what I said made sense to you?
    Dude, "open possibilites" existed even before. They could have done plenty of transition and Jon go through plenty of events and changes. That might have gotten the naysayers to like him.
    He can't be whatever we or anyone wants to be. Jon has an existing structure, personality and a history.

From what i understand from you is that, they are exicted, because they think character got rebooted. Which is not case at all. Besides, rebooted character might not last. especially, when radical alterations are done. Since, rebooted characters have tendency of losing old fans or pissing them of. Look at what happened to new52 superman(i am not saying he was radical departure, but the perception was) . People screamed and screamed until superman hit the "truth".
    And in this case we might be losing supersons, one of the reasons for jon's popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Then perhaps he'll blame the actual culprit, his grandpa ?

It's clearly hinted at that he hold Jor-El responsible for whatever happened out there which led him on his seven years quest to return home, after all.

If what happened after Lois departure put him in danger, he was probably happy that his mother wasn't here. And he can't blame his dad when he wanted to go home.

Plus Bendis interviews hint at Jon having an awesome character arc coming, so I'm quite happy with the change.

Bonus point if he wasks to see Damian as soon as possible.
    Lois left him with his grandpa.who basically, turned out to be a lunatic. That can cause hidden, underlying resentments and abandonment issues. Trust me, when i say this. Sure, he sees Jor el as the bad guy. But, lois was his mother. Children have implicit trust on their parents and their decision making power. If that is broken, it is hard for them to cope with situations.Clearly, Jon still has a level of love for them(since he returned to them, called them home) . So, it will be easier to blame them. And they do have some or maybe huge responsibility in this. It was not just Jor el. No matter how you slice it.
    And this jon was fighting a war in space alone(or worse with an abusive guardian, yes it is a possibility ) , at the age of going to school and having a life. He has to have(i expect) some kind of PTSD or survivors guilt.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    He could be taking responsibility of his choices since he was the one that insisted on going on this little trip with his grandfather, so he doesn't really have anyone to blame for how things played out. Yes he had it rough especially with Jor being off his rocker once Lois left them for earth and he's made the best of a bad situation. Whatever angst will be mined from his time away, I don't think it will be directed at his parents.
    Then, it will be a major missed opportunity. Jon did, jon had ask persisted on plenty stupid thing before. Guess what? Their parents Clois turned him down. It is an implicit or unwritten rule between parent and child. Child asks for something stupid,and they expect or want the parent to shut them down. If it doesn't happen and they get in trouble. Most kids become resentful and many times it will be directed at their parents.

Astonishing Member

Then, it will be a major missed opportunity. Jon did, jon had ask persisted on plenty stupid thing before. Guess what? Their parents Clois turned him down. It is an implicit or unwritten rule between parent and child. Child asks for something stupid,and they expect or want the parent to shut them down. If it doesn't happen and they get in trouble. Most kids become resentful and many times it will be directed at their parents.
    His parents certainly will fell plenty guilty but I don't believe Jon will be angry or blame them for what he chose to do. I believe that was the point that was being discussed, Jon's feelings towards his parents.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    His parents certainly will fell plenty guilty but I don't believe Jon will be angry or blame them for what he chose to do. I believe that was the point that was being discussed, Jon's feelings towards his parents.
    He will not overtly. I said it, will be underlying emotions, anguish and resentment against his parents. Jon clearly respects his parents.
    As i said,then it will not be gutsy or realistic, if it is handwaved of. Sure, it is risky with Jon's optmisitic personality to get right. Without making it seem like Jon is edgy, angsty teen Or clark and lois being too moopey. But, it will be worth it, if bendis is able to pull this off with all the nuances. As bendis said if Jon is going to someone that need special care. It needs to be portayed as such.

I'm sure there will be issues coming up between Jon and his parents. But what I meant was Jon, with his seven years of perspective and experience and survival based it sounds like on the lessons and guidance from both Lois and Clark didn't come back with any easy or stereotypical angsty blame for them.

His first words to Clark about Lois are questioning whether or not she even made it home. He's had seven years of probably wondering if Jor El killed her. And he probably came the the correct realization that even if she had been there not only 2oukd everything that happened to him still had happened. But Jor El likely would have just killed her eventually or she would not have survived whatever they experienced.

I'm sure eventually they're going to have some issues, and from the sounds of it Clark and Lois' guilt will be overwhelmed transformative for both of them. But for now, Jon doesn't seem to be taking the angsty teen blame parents for everything route.

And it would be equally lazy writing to just have Clark blame Lois as well. And use this issue to drive a wedge between them. It doesn't sound like that's going to happen either. Bendis' interview speaks to them dealing with this as a couple and together so I'm hopeful on that end as well.
    Last edited by Yoda; 01-17-2019 at 05:24 AM.