Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bring Back Adventure Comics!

This article reminded me once again that DC should always have an Adventure Comics!

https://www.cbr.com/adventure-comics-evolution/

Bring it back!

Retired

How would you like it brought back? Continue the numbering (and from which number) or start at 1? What should be featured in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    How would you like it brought back? Continue the numbering (and from which number) or start at 1? What should be featured in it?
    I would like the same format of the digital-first line (Adventure of Superman, Sensation Comics, etc). Out of continuity, short 2 or 3-part stories featuring different B-list characters/groups each story, reboots and remaking of old classics. That would be great! Or is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by the COMET View Post
    I would like the same format of the digital-first line (Adventure of Superman, Sensation Comics, etc). Out of continuity, short 2 or 3-part stories featuring different B-list characters/groups each story, reboots and remaking of old classics. That would be great! Or is it just me?
    Problem is, who would buy that?
    Unless you have more of an A++-list headliner, how many general comic book buyers may pass over it for a generic, mediocre book starring Batman or such?

I think the numbering should be obvious. Go an issue after this last issue. Restart at 530. If the appeal is "should have an Adventure Comics", then recognizing the longevity is key.

As to what should be in it, I don't know. The book's greatest success has been with Superman concepts, but I'm really not sure that Adventure Comics featuring is a better draw than issue one of whatever.

I would love if they brought back Adventure Comics. It's just as important to me as Action and Detective are. Same as Sensation Comics.

While I would love if they came back and featured lesser know heroes, that really doesn't fly in today's market.

I would have Adventure Comics basically be the 2nd Aquaman and Green Arrow title.

Sensation Comics would be the 2nd Wonder Woman book. Maybe feature Black Canary or Vixen in it too.

and since I'm spitballing...

World's Finest should be a rotating team-up book between Batman and Superman and some other random hero like Brave and Bold and DC Presents rolled into one.
    Batman - Daredevil

Quote Originally Posted by DevilBat66 View Post
    I would love if they brought back Adventure Comics. It's just as important to me as Action and Detective are. Same as Sensation Comics.

While I would love if they came back and featured lesser know heroes, that really doesn't fly in today's market.

I would have Adventure Comics basically be the 2nd Aquaman and Green Arrow title.
    Or it could be the 1st title / new home for Green Arrow (since I thought his book was possibly ending with March's issue #50?) . . .

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

ADVENTURE COMICS featuring Aquaman and the Others!
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-19-2019 at 10:31 AM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

My favorite run of Adventure Comics was when it was a dollar comic and featured the JSA, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Deadman, etc.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Give it to the Aquaman family!

Quote Originally Posted by DevilBat66 View Post
    I would love if they brought back Adventure Comics. It's just as important to me as Action and Detective are. Same as Sensation Comics...Sensation Comics would be the 2nd Wonder Woman book...
    AC was a great laboratory for talent and as much for readers' fickle tastes, before committing to a series. AC reprints, featuring Spectre, Aquaman, Deadman, Superboy, Airwave and the Human Target, was some of my favorite flash-light reading...could NOT put it down. It was a sample platter, and I loved it! LOVED it!

Would also be nice to see the Sensation Comics characters - Mister Terrific, Wildcat, Sargon the Sorcerer, Lady Danger and Hop Harrigan - in an anthology comic, again. Great place for Diana's twin, Prince Jason, to return from guarding the doorway to the Dark Dimension!
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I would definitely continue the numbering. And it would be an anthology series. As much as that's possible these days. Maybe it's just a lead story and a backup. They could rotate series, try out stuff a la Showcase. Whatever works. The lead could be something without its own title. The LoSH would be an obvious choice since it has a history with the title. They could be long-term or not. Whatever is working. As long as there is some turnover. I'd also be fine with the lead series' logo being featured more prominently on the cover, as in "Adventure Comics starring..."

Retired

Maybe something like the SHOWCASE titles in the '90s--SHOWCASE '93 and SHOWCASE '94? I could see it working if a big name character like Aquaman or Green Arrow was in the lead position, with a try-out feature like the Legion or the Spectre in the back-up, and the features would rotate in and out of the comic.

Going outside the box, make it the fifth Wal Mart 100 Page giant, do a new 12 page Legion of Super-Heroes lead, and include 3 reprint series-a classic Legion story, the Goyer/Robinson/Johns JSA and either a Green Arrow or Hawkman run to bring those characters to the mass audience and start building an audience for them like they are doing with the other 4 100 page giants.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    My favorite run of Adventure Comics was when it was a dollar comic and featured the JSA, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Deadman, etc.
    Those were good times. I loved the "Dollar Comics" era.

Books like that would be like $8 nowadays though.
    Batman - Daredevil