Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Default Biggest missed opportunity of the last few years in your opinion?

What story do you think if DC would have "just done this" of the last few years do you think would have been better than what they did? I am not talking about going crazy and killing off major characters. I mean just a twist that would alter a story for the better.

I am going to say the ending of Flash War. Instead of having Barry get his speed back right away I think if they had kept him depowered for a year or two and moved Wally back into the main Flash role with Barry as the support for him it would have made most Flash fans happy old and new. Barry could help Wally work through the loss of his family without having to get into that garbage that is HiC. It would never happen because of Didio's insane hatred of the original Teen Titans characters and him wanting Wally West dead at all costs, but I think the fans of both characters would have liked it.

Lightbulb

Nightwing getting shot in the head and losing his memory would be a pretty good reason to go to the Sanctuary as opposed to say living out of a car or something.

I'm sure someone will say the wedding.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Biggest missed opportunities?

I would say DC's failure to have more synergy with it's TV properties, which all seem to be doing well.
    For example, using Cisco/Vibe, Lena Luthor, Mad Dog, John Diggle/Spartan and Felicity Smoak PROMINENTLY in the pages of their comics.

Yes Vibe had a troubled beginning but he's been a beloved member of the Flash show for 5 years and really grown as a character on the TV show. Use that.

Similarly, the DCU is without an Oracle, and Babs seems to be off the market. Felicity would be a perfect successor. Use her.

DC has a noticeable lack of POC characters (that are actually USED)...why not promote the barely used John Diggle in the pages of GA to an active hero as Spartan?

And Lena Luthor is a great well rounded shades-of-grey character on the Supergirl show...but only gets 1 appearance in Superwoman as a floating head robot?

Not saying that the comics have to mirror the shows exactly, but there's been a lot of missed opportunity here.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Barry Allen really meeting the DCU as it developed during the years that he was gone. After FINAL CRISIS, I wanted to see Barry meet and interact with Tim Drake's Robin, Kyle Rayner's Green Lantern, Conner Kent's Superboy....heck, Barry's own grandson Bart Allen/Impulse/Kid Flash. I wanted to see Barry fight enemies such as Bane, Doomsday, Savitar (I know he briefly did in FLASH: REBIRTH, but that was hardly a "fight"), etc. I wanted to see how he came to terms with a DC Universe that had changed so much since his "death" in COIE.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Extraordinary Member

For me I still think that the whole Jason Todd back as Batfamily member thing, should have been better handled that just beeing a small side plot in two different stoy arc at the same time without any coordination or a real cross over with his own book.

I also think that Rebirth was really a missed opportunity, everybody was hyped in the beginning but it really fizzled out since they took to long follow up on the mysteries.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    Not saying that the comics have to mirror the shows exactly, but there's been a lot of missed opportunity here.
    I think the problem is, that the comics are often so different from the cw shows that these characters wouldn't work the same as in the show. And the books are mostly solo book, while the shows have become more and more about the team.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Flash War was definitely a missed opportunity. I like your solution even though some would remain very disgruntled, but there was something else to do there that reestablished Wally. I think he should have been sent on a quest to get his family back.

Rebirth in general had a lot of missed opportunities to reestablish key relationships; Titans was pretty much a failure; Hal and Barry's friendship was nowhere to be seen, same with Hal and GA's; Aquaman was awesome but some of the family is missing and would fit right in.

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    Biggest missed opportunities?

I would say DC's failure to have more synergy with it's TV properties, which all seem to be doing well.
    For example, using Cisco/Vibe, Lena Luthor, Mad Dog, John Diggle/Spartan and Felicity Smoak PROMINENTLY in the pages of their comics.

Yes Vibe had a troubled beginning but he's been a beloved member of the Flash show for 5 years and really grown as a character on the TV show. Use that.

Similarly, the DCU is without an Oracle, and Babs seems to be off the market. Felicity would be a perfect successor. Use her.

DC has a noticeable lack of POC characters (that are actually USED)...why not promote the barely used John Diggle in the pages of GA to an active hero as Spartan?

And Lena Luthor is a great well rounded shades-of-grey character on the Supergirl show...but only gets 1 appearance in Superwoman as a floating head robot?

I don't really see what felicity could add at all. I could see Vibe working, but it always feels somehow manufactured and cynical when good-but-not-great characters developed on TV are shoehorned into the comics. I'd rather keep them separate if they are going to be that different to begin with. The show would have done better to pull more from Barry's supporting characters.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I have already expressed my thoughts on Rebirth Aqualad's intro story being a missed opportunity but I was dissapointed in the JL not actually fighting the Crime Syndicate. I do like that the villains fought them but I really wanted the JL to come back and get in a nasty brawl to redeem themselves.

Incredible Member

It may not be the biggest missed opportunity but I find it annoying that there hasn't been any real interaction between Mera and Dolphin in "Aquaman" (as far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong). In the only scene they have together Mera is barely conscious and not really aware of anyone but Arthur.

I realise with all the upheavals Atlantis has gone through there hasn't really been time for anyone to just talk, but I would have liked a scene where Mera thanks Dolphin for everything she's done (including helping to save Mera's life) and they both make it clear that although they love the same person neither has any ill-feeling towards the other. Mera doesn't blame Dolphin for falling for someone as noble and good as Arthur, and Dolphin knows that he and Mera are happy together and she's okay with that.

One Year Later.

I know that might be further back than just a "couple years" but it almost drove me away from the company.

We had a real chance with Infinite Crisis to take the entire DCU one step forward. At that point, DC could have grown beyond the binary morality of heroes v villains and actually start doing new things, exploring new stories and ideas. You had three different yet viable opinions fostered by the Trinity, villains who were starting to recognize the benefits of "corporate" evil, and a population not sure who to support. It was a great chance to make the DCU a little more layered, a little less homogeneous, and the Crisis offered a great chance to adjust a few things in the continuity, the returned multiverse expand the options. We did have some new faces, I'll give them that, but many of them took a dump on the old status quo (That OYL Shazam, anyone?) which never goes well or ends up lasting. Not to mention they had a chance of bringing back some old favorites, too.

What we got was six months of stupid "Whoa! Look at this random change! Now Martin Stein is a WOMAN??!! Whhaaa??! Read the whole convoluted story to find out how!" And everything was put back together. The Trinity kiss and make up for....reasons. The villains, despite all evidence to the contrary, give up on unionization, the government backs off, and the people go back to their usual day-in-day-out. F*ck, what a waste. The DCU could've had nuance, and opinions, and arguments for and against. Instead, it went back to, and remains, cops v robbers.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Not using Poison Ivy right, and letting an amazing Killer Frost just disappear.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Astonishing Member

Killing off Atomica. Seriously. You made a new female villain who duped essentially every hero out there and could've been an AMAZING villain to keep around and then you kill her.

Killing Pandora off. For...literally no reason.

Element Woman. I don't think there's a reader out there who didn't like her when she was introduced in Flashpoint. So you have her join the JL and do nothing. Then join the Doom Patrol and do nothing. Then stop mentioning her entirely.

Never revealing the Trinity of Sin Question's secret identity. Especially given many think it'd be hilariously easy to say he was Rorschach.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Gee. Where do I begin... or end?
    Not actually rebooting everything with New 52 and end up with a half and a half universe with messy continuity and 5 years timeline that doesn't make sense.
    Creating a young Superman but instead of seeing his development from young and brash version to older wiser one he's only given angsty story where he's get possessed, brainwashed or sad before finally mercy killing him.
    Death of The Family separating the family with very thin reason and overshadowed by Damian's death in Batman Incorporated immediately.
    Canceling the idea that Nightwing will be leading surviving heroes in Forever Evil
    Not following up on Owlman's obsession with Dick Grayson... that is probably the most interesting part of Crime Syndicate... and then he died, but at least he's back now....
    Killing off Crime Syndicate in general, but at least they're back...
    Replacing Nightwing's funeral issue with a prolonged beat down in the batcave to set up Spyral which they can just explain in Grayson
    Dick Grayson became a secret agent just as the family gather for the first time for Batman anniversary
    Batman and Robin Eternal being used as a Harper Row showcase instead of a Robins celebration
    The Trinity of Sin peters out after being set up so mysteriously
    King and Seeley leaving Grayson early in preparation for Rebirth
    Didn't naturally end Superman and Wonder Woman relationship and develop the relationship with Lois Lane and instead just transplant the old version.
    Not completely creating new continuity that can fix everything and instead make a slow burn transitional continuity that ends up taking too long
    Didn't continue post-crisis universe in post-crisis books and see which one sell better
    Never actually plan the New 52 to be a proper reboot instead of making stuff up as they go along
    Not doing anything with Wally even though he's set up to be Rebirth main character
    The Wedding being replaced by psychological Knightfall
    The Dark Web story of Nightwing being replaced by Rick Grayson. Puke.
    Aging up Damian to be a teenager just so he can be a Titans even though he can be the same as age as Jon
    Aging up Jon even though they have Super Sons
    The Rise of The Seven Seas still hasn't happened yet

I guess the biggest overall missed opportunity for me is every time they relaunch but not actually cleaning up their continuity or by not starting from the beginning
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 01-16-2019 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I guess the biggest overall missed opportunity for me is every time they relaunch but not actually cleaning up their continuity or by not starting from the beginning
    This. Next time they reboot, they should actually make it a hard reboot.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

DC Rebirth should have been a hard reboot. Not the pussyfooting around that we were given. Wherein steps were made to restore certain elements of pre-Flashpoint, but the New Fifty Two continuity, in large was mainly held in tact. My fear is that the post Crisis continuity will never be restored and we will forever be left with this unhappy medium we have now. This seems like where the DCU is headed.