Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Slott v. Spencer: Year One

Hey everyone!

So now that Nick Spencer has his first 13 issues and thus his first year knocked out on Amazing Spider-Man, I thought it'd be interesting to hear your thoughts on the comparison between Slott's first year as solo writer on ASM and Spencer's, seeing as it's been so long since there's been a new writer in a while on the title.

So, what do you think?

Slott's first year was rather bumpy due to a massive status quo change so I think Spencer's first year by way of comparison has been better received. In my mind at least, it isn't really fair to compare the two for the reason I just mentioned. Both were good in their own way, is my personal opinion.
    Last edited by Celgress; 01-16-2019 at 02:53 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Hey everyone!

So now that Nick Spencer has his first 13 issues and thus his first year knocked out on Amazing Spider-Man, I thought it'd be interesting to hear your thoughts on the comparison between Slott's first year as solo writer on ASM and Spencer's, seeing as it's been so long since there's been a new writer in a while on the title.

So, what do you think?
    Wouldn’t 24 issues be his first year since it’s a bi-monthly book?

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Wouldn’t 24 issues be his first year since it’s a bi-monthly book?
    Maybe. But I wanted to compare now since neither of them around this time had the major storylines.

Extraordinary Member

I think Slott gave Spencer a lot to work with and I like Slott's love for the epic scale.

That being said, Spencer's work just feels so much more intimate. It isn't just about Peter, but also about all these other people who make up his life, not just like JJJ and MJ, but also like his villains.

Nick and Dan are like beautiful galaxies. To have them collide would lead to a maelstrom of cosmic energy that would ripple out across the universe and create all sorts of new life. I guess God in this metaphor is Nick Lowe. Or maybe Wacker for getting them both started on Spider-Books.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Two very different writers it’s hard to compare. Slott went bigger and more different. Spencer is keeping it grounded and adding a lot of needed “lightness” to the stories.

Maybe, as someone else suggested, wait for 24 issues.