Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Congratulations to foxley for a cover which shows not only a gravesite, but the pain which family members feel when their families are killed. Bonus points go to the positioning and role of the Huntress here, who is closely related to this, but still, probably has been unaware of much of the personal drama involved. Personally, the art by Jim Steranko is usually prettier than the excellent, but less polished work by Jim Aparo, but this cover did an extraordinary job of covering (pun intended) the theme this week, Well done foxley, well done.

Thanks to Iron Maiden, Kirby101, and MRP for their votes. Despite my liking for the cheap gag and infrequent actual great entries, I love being in the midst of things.

What has the captain learned this week? He realizes pretty pictures aren't all that's needed. Even with the cover, a story still needs to be told. Modern comics often neglect the word balloon as being immature or unnecessary. In truth, they help us to differentiate covers as opposed to a plethora of generic heroic poses. Old school rules. At least this week.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Congrats to foxley!

And what did WestPhilly learn this week? After back to back entries from the world of Archie comics, I learned that the gang from Riverdale just doesn't get the job done in this contest. Nonetheless, I'll try harder!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Congratulations, foxley

And thanks to icctrombone for voting for my cover.

Congratulations foxley!
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Congratulations to foxley for a cover which shows not only a gravesite, but the pain which family members feel when their families are killed. Bonus points go to the positioning and role of the Huntress here, who is closely related to this, but still, probably has been unaware of much of the personal drama involved.
    Say what?

I think somebody is confusing the Jim Aparo covers entered this week.

Where's the "pain family members feel" in foxley's entry?
    Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    Underneath these stones
    Bleached and rotting bones
    And the girl I loved the best

Maggots do their work
    There beneath the earth
    Loved her more than all the rest

Tears begin to fall
    Every time I call
    There beside her graveside

One of favourite ever covers. I'm always glad when a theme allows me to post it.
    Also, where's The Huntress on that cover?

Oh, look, she was on the cover I submitted this week:
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

a nice story by Mike W. Barr with art by Jim Aparo
    As to her being "unaware of much of the personal drama involved", don't forget that we're talking Helena Wayne of Earth-2 (pre-CoIE), the daughter of the Batman from a different Earth. She would definitely be aware of "personal drama" here, but may not initially know what is causing Bruce of Earth-1's uncharacteristic outburst.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Say what?

I think somebody is confusing the Jim Aparo covers entered this week.

Where's the "pain family members feel" in foxley's entry?

Also, where's The Huntress on that cover?

Oh, look, she was on the cover I submitted this week:
    As to her being "unaware of much of the personal drama involved", don't forget that we're talking Helena Wayne of Earth-2 (pre-CoIE), the daughter of the Batman from a different Earth. She would definitely be aware of "personal drama" here, but may not initially know what is causing Bruce of Earth-1's uncharacteristic outburst.
    Wow.

I mistook the covers. A careless move on my part, I admit. I am thoroughly embarassed.

But in raising his daughter, it's unlikely Bruce would have been totally honest in his feelings about his parents and his sorrow. Obviously anyone could assume Dad's sad because his parents were killed, but Bruce (any bruce) hides his emotions better than almost anyone. This statement I stand behind.

congrats foxley--love that cover!

Astonishing Member

Congratulations Foxley.
    And many thanks to WestPhillyPunisher and Tami for their votes.