Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Heroes that can leave New York City and heroes that can't leave New York City

What heroes must stay in New York City and which heroes can leave? People always tossed the Fantastic Four into the must stay column, but do they have to? I think all the New York love comes from one character on the team, Ben Grimm. I don't think Reed Richards cares what city the team is in. Johnny Storm strikes me as being fine with any as long as the city provides all the things he likes. Sue likes NYC but isn't wed to it.

Miles Morales: There is no reason for him to be in New York. It's not even "his" NYC. Isn't this about being a hero in his own right? If he stays in New York he is basically the Mets to Peter's Yankees. He is pretty much dooming himself to also ran status. In my dream scenario Riri would have gotten LA and Miles would have gotten Chicago.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member

I sort of assume that NY is just sort of a comfortable place for the heros and villains. They know what the rules are, everyone sort of knows everyone else, the cops are used to it, etc.

The ENTIRE X-Men franchise should move to the south side of Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I sort of assume that NY is just sort of a comfortable place for the heros and villains. They know what the rules are, everyone sort of knows everyone else, the cops are used to it, etc.
    No, I think it's just a comfortable place for the writers If you are a villain why commit a crime in NYC when you can just hit Philadelphia? In Slotts' FF he revealed that the Fantastix the team that was looking to replace the FF actually moved out of Philadelphia to go to New York.

It's only comfortable for the heroes. If your a villain is awful because it had the highest concentration of heroes and when you aren't dodging them you have to compete with the villains. It makes no sense. Crime should be going down in NYC and going up everywhere else.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 01-16-2019 at 02:44 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I always wondered why Super Villain threats centered in New York where there are dozens of heroes not to mention The Avengers, The Fantastic Four. If I had super powers the last place I would rob a bank would be in New York. I would go to the midwest and do a crime spree. I mean is it like Spiderman or Daredevil are coming to Iowa? Aside from the West Coast Avengers who are disbanded where they really any heroes outside of New York?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    Aside from the West Coast Avengers who are disbanded where they really any heroes outside of New York?
    There have been a bunch based in San Francisco (which never made sense to me based on geography) such as Shroud, now Superior Spider-Man, and Spider-Woman for a while. X-Men were offshore in San Francisco in Utopia for quite some time. Inverted Iron Man was there for a time and DareDevil and Black Widow went there for some time together.

Great Lakes Avengers are also still active. The original Champions were based out of LA way back when, and the Defenders in Colorado for a time.

Oh and BTW West Coast Avengers are active in LA again.

But as to why New York, I think its because of the density, size, and layout of Manhattan. It's easier to go unseen or unnoticed than most cities. It also helps that the nature of webslinging requires a significant skyline to swing from, and in most cities it's not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Great Lakes Avengers are also still active.
    Ugh. When Marvel makes a stab at a West Coast team at least they try.

I personally think all heroes could move out of New York and I wouldn't really care. The only character I'd be apprehensive about is Spider-Man. I think the whole Friendly Neighborhood aspect would be lost if he wasn't used to or loved the neighborhood he was in.

Extraordinary Member

But if they go out of other cities, then the heros would eventually follow them. And most villains aren't going to want to go all over the country just to rob banks and outrun the cops and heroes.

New York has places to get better weapons, hiding places, allies and friends who will cover you.

And if I was a villain, I'd rather risk getting beat up by Spiderman than going to a bunch of different cities and not know who I'm dealing with.

Spreading their heroes out is one of the things DC does right. Each hero has an associated city or country.

It may be too late for Marvel as you'll eventually get fans or a writer wanting things back to the status quo.

Like we all know it's a matter of time before the Avengers return to their mansion or the FF to the Baxter Building. Status Quo rules all.
    Last edited by Crimz; 01-16-2019 at 04:49 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Iron Fist could benefit from a change of scenery. His life in NY has hit a standstill and he is need of a change, new opportunities/goals etc.

Luke is one that I believe can't leave NY for long, and with that said Jessica Jones too since she's married to him.

Miles is a confusing case, I mean wasn't his whole life (family,friends) basically transported to this earth. The whole thing is confusing, but if one day Miles is allowed to go to college then I hope he goes out of state (with his friend)

With that said, say what you will but "let's go mets"
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymixm6PtVBA

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    But if they go out of other cities, then the heros would eventually follow them. And most villains aren't going to want to go all over the country just to rob banks and outrun the cops and heroes.

New York has places to get better weapons, hiding places, allies and friends who will cover you.

And if I was a villain, I'd rather risk getting beat up by Spiderman than going to a bunch of different cities and not know who I'm dealing with.
    That makes no sense IMHO. At the end of the day, you have a better chance of getting away with whatever crime you're committing in Nashville than in NYC. Villains won't need those friends and better weapons because Nashville isn't crawling with superheroes. They won't need hiding places because Philadelphia isn't used to being hit by a supervillain every hour on the hour and by the time they realize what hit them they would be long gone.

Jessica Drew should go back to San Francisco for a bit I think. Reunite with Lindsay McCabe, Tigra etc.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Since Banner (i think it was him) brought transporters to the MU hero can live anywhere. I suppose guys like DD and SPidy need a city with a lot of tall buildings but otherwise spread out people you are too crowded.