Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Cullen grew to like writing the O5 very quickly and would've stayed with them for Exiles, and it wouldn't have mattered if they were actually AU or not for them to lead an Exiles book. He wanted it.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Cullen grew to like writing the O5 very quickly and would've stayed with them for Exiles, and it wouldn't have mattered if they were actually AU or not for them to lead an Exiles book. He wanted it.
    I think he liked writing Jean, if he cared about the others it didn’t show.

The editorial situation does sound bad though. If I’m remembering it right ResurreXion was Ketchum’s project but he was let go shortly after launch, then Panic was replaced with JDW, and Yoshida-San was made EIC sometime in there as well, with so much turnaround it’s not surprising it was a mess.

BANNED

thank goodness Hopeless didn't write Generation X

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by comeatmebro View Post
    thank goodness Hopeless didn't write Generation X
    Which one? The 2nd one was pretty bad.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Don't trust Hopeless with teenage characters.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    - Hopeless wasn't told until issue #9 of Jeen that they were bringing the adult version back. Completely ruined his planned ending and was forced to change course
    - Bunn planned on turning the O5 into a new Exiles after being shunted out off 616. Was told at the last moment that they were taking the O5 away in a book he wasn't allowed to write.
    - Bunn originally wasn't allowed to use the X-Men in the last four issues of Blue (WTF) and had to fight to use them
    - Bunn also didn't know what would happen in Extermination
    - Hopeless jokes about how they had the same editor yet he didn't prevent Hopeless from establishing the O5 as alt universe characters while at the same time Bunn was establishing that they were still the real deal
    - Bunn uses Emma as another example where they were all writing her differently
    - Hopeless says Jeen continues to sell really well in trade, which makes me happy because that book ended up being great and Ghost Jean is >>>>>>>>
    - All-New X-Men was originally going to become Generation X, but then the X-office decided that the creative teams had to musical chairs for Ressurxion so Hopeless wasn't allowed to write the O5 anymore
    - Hopeless could still write Gen X with the original cast but he decided he wanted to write the Jeen solo instead
    - Hopeless and Bunn had a pitch where they would write Uncanny X-Men and Extraordinary X-Men, and there would be a third title called X-Men Blue and Gold (the school colors) (the X-Office was obsessed with using those colors in the title in some way at the time) which would be a school book in which all the X-Men appeared. The X-Office instead opted to give Guggenheim the keys to the castle
    Major thanks for the summary.

Glad editorial shut down these potential incarnations of Exiles/GenX, but holy hell, editorial meddling/arbitrarily-changing-its-mind seems to have been the norm back then.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    Major thanks for the summary.

Glad editorial shut down these potential incarnations of Exiles/GenX, but holy hell, editorial meddling/arbitrarily-changing-its-mind seems to have been the norm back then.
    "Back then."

Screenshot_20190117-095134_2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    Eh. Trying to hold the new editor responsible for slip-ups that happened under his predecessor isn't a great example. Lemire bulked up Anole. It was entirely ignored outside of EXM well before White came on board. Wanna use the arm thing instead? Fair game; that was all him. But the Gozilla Jr look going away isn't on White, and asking him to fill gaps in canon on the fly is a useless exercise anyway.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    So that's what that "Stories yet to be told" thingy is about.

Seriously, though, I'm rather thinking of an overall plan/direction rather than actual quality control over - let's be real - small issues. Jury's obviously still out on current editorial but there's been some actual build-up over multiple books for Rosenberg's Uncanny. Seems like a legitimate step up.
    Last edited by FluffyCyclopsRLZ; 01-22-2019 at 01:57 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Which one? The 2nd one was pretty bad.
    Yeah I hated Strain's book but am not fond of Hopeless at all either

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Saw Psylocke and the Blob are now in love. I changed my mind -- 'Disassembled' was totally worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    - Hopeless wasn't told until issue #9 of Jeen that they were bringing the adult version back. Completely ruined his planned ending and was forced to change course
    - Bunn planned on turning the O5 into a new Exiles after being shunted out off 616. Was told at the last moment that they were taking the O5 away in a book he wasn't allowed to write.
    - Bunn originally wasn't allowed to use the X-Men in the last four issues of Blue (WTF) and had to fight to use them
    - Bunn also didn't know what would happen in Extermination
    - Hopeless jokes about how they had the same editor yet he didn't prevent Hopeless from establishing the O5 as alt universe characters while at the same time Bunn was establishing that they were still the real deal
    - Bunn uses Emma as another example where they were all writing her differently
    - Hopeless says Jeen continues to sell really well in trade, which makes me happy because that book ended up being great and Ghost Jean is >>>>>>>>
    - All-New X-Men was originally going to become Generation X, but then the X-office decided that the creative teams had to musical chairs for Ressurxion so Hopeless wasn't allowed to write the O5 anymore
    - Hopeless could still write Gen X with the original cast but he decided he wanted to write the Jeen solo instead
    - Hopeless and Bunn had a pitch where they would write Uncanny X-Men and Extraordinary X-Men, and there would be a third title called X-Men Blue and Gold (the school colors) (the X-Office was obsessed with using those colors in the title in some way at the time) which would be a school book in which all the X-Men appeared. The X-Office instead opted to give Guggenheim the keys to the castle
    Wow. I can't think of any editorial office in Marvel where editorial seems this mixed-up and hectic.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Eh. Trying to hold the new editor responsible for slip-ups that happened under his predecessor isn't a great example. Lemire bulked up Anole. It was entirely ignored outside of EXM well before White came on board. Wanna use the arm thing instead? Fair game; that was all him. But the Gozilla Jr look going away isn't on White, and asking him to fill gaps in canon on the fly is a useless exercise anyway.
    Yeah, Gen X had him spiky, Gold had him completely 'normal', which is kind of a big deal for that character, which was before JDW, but he was always just a background character. UXM was probably the first story where he was playing a (speaking) part. Whether it is on JDW or not, he could at least own up to the mistake on behalf of Marvel and then laugh about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    Isn't this sort of the thing that happened to the non-X-Men heroes at the end of the Onslaught story 20 odd years ago?
    Exactly. I think someone at the X-Office shouted "90s!" too loud and the writers got confused and just mixed all the stories from that time into one giant ball of incoherence

BANNED

Sick.of.events.