Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I've already said these before, but we jump into this event with all pieces jammed into place and no buildup. Magneto, Blob, and Omega Red are horsemen with no regard to their status quo when last we saw them. Nate is dying with no context; we don't know why, how, or when he even learned. Ditto the Life Seed: We don't know how, when, or where he got it. The plot required it, so he has it. Additionally, there was a very poor choice of characters for the different subplots. Anole has never demonstrated the sort of self-loathing about being a mutant before this book, so it makes no sense that he would be the one to steal the cure. And Armor as the voice of the New X-Men rings hollow since she's one of the kids who ISN'T routinely exiled to the Kiddie Table. And several others (*cough*Laura*cough*) were just plain badly written out of character.

Pros:
    Loved the artists (Pere Perez was the best of the bunch for me)
    Legion v. X-Man was a nice concept

Cons:
    Decompressed yet rushed at the same time. Were random dinosaurs more important than explaining what was going on with the Horsemen? They could’ve jammed that Multiple Man subplot that took three issues into the interconnecting backups at the end of issue one.
    All the “mysteries” fizzled out (“Where is Kitty Pryde”, “Who stole the vaccine?”, “Why is Mate acting like this? Where’s his power coming from?” etc etc
    Waste of characters (ie Jubilee, Oya, Northstar)
    Character assassination (ie X-23, Armor, Legion, ANOLE)
    Legion v. X-Man was executed horribly

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JaffyJayne View Post
    ... I loved that they did try to give everyone a little spotlight and redefine where everyone was (Polaris, Northstar, Jubilee etc).
    I love that they have a “bigger plan” for this and the x-universe...
    These were the two most redeemable aspects of it, IMO.

Used this series to try and get back into the x-books but I just didn't like anything about this story and checked out around issue 5

The best thing I can say about Disassembled, and by extension the JDW reign, is that key X-Books are no longer making me mad enough to question my mental health. Just some normal fictional cartoons that are just mediocre.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

It was weak, but at least we can't say it didn't matter. While the story was poorly paced, the characterizations were bad, the action was monotone, the dialogue was less than average, the plot threads created didn't come to a satisfying conclusion and the book feels like an editorial mandate, at least the new but not so new status quo is interesting.

Therefore my rating is 10/10.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Thought it was great.
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Mighty Member

If you ever need more compelling evidence that pacing affects a series, look no further than this one. I didn't care about anyone because it just dragged out for so long. At least No Surrender had different narrators to make it a bit less homogenous.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

It was ok. Somehow for it to be a weekly it felt rushed and padded at the same time. The main plots were interesting but they did not have much build up so the motives behind some of the characters just seem odd or somewhat off. It would have probably been a little better if we got more insight into X-man mindset early on. We know he is dying, but need more info. Ditto for Legion.

Alot of nice cameos by some old faces that have not been around in awhile.

Quicks Thoughts

- We know the ending and all of the big surprises(X-man being the villian,X-men transported to a utopia,Cyclops being alive) before it happen. No matter how good or bad the book was knowing the big endgame suck the life out of it.

- This book should have been much much shorter

For me this book was pointless not because writing or art but because I just cared for the final form of the X-men what they are going to be selling me going on to future. So Extermination, Disassembled, Age of X-men all pointless. I just want to see what the X-men are going to be when they are all back and everything else is just a distraction. X-men has certain feel (aka They have school with mutants and they split into mutant teams) once they show that real X-men is months away it killed my big interest in any of these books. I am going to check out Uncanny with Cyclops and Wolverine and the Age of X-man stuff but all this feels like treading water until we get the back the 05 adults together(you know it going to happen) and all of other traditional X-men back together. Hopefully we have some fun distractions but can we fast forward to end of Age of X-man when we get the Real X-men back and the books will have a real direction and real teams.

Well, looking into the positives: some character beats involving Psylocke, Jean and Bishop were actually a highlight of the series and showed that the writers have good grasp on them. The idea of having the X-Men teams all lead by women was exciting, as was the focus invested into them. The idea of an event the united the X-line in one single direction was entirely necessary considering how scattershot most of the ressurexion era was.

However, like many pointed out, everything just felt like too much and too little at the same time. Full of filler (the entire Legion/Madrox plotline) and yet still rushed. Too many plotlines and characters that surged out of nowhere without any explanation or build-up. A lot of themes with no real conclusion.

Maybe if the pressure for it to be a massive 10-part weekly epic wasn't set on from the beginning it would've been a better, more focused story.

Most of it was pointless filler. It's clear they were only interested in the ending. They could've done this in two issues, or one special one-shot or something.

BANNED

Uncanny X-Men had access to dozens of our favorite X-characters and had an entire ten issues to showcase their abilities, have them interact with fellow X-Men and develop them as individuals. Instead, the plot felt convoluted and tiresome, especially when we reached the point where we knew the outcome (Age of X-Man & Cyclops' X-Team to fill the void)

While most of the art was pretty strong, I would have liked to have had the same artist throughout, especially with the weekly formatting.

In terms of the plot, we never learned how/why X-Man specifically chose his Horseman. We last saw Magneto with his Brotherhood (completely missing from the series) which seems like a big oversight, especially given the conclusion of the run, where Magneto is pulled into the Age of X-Man. Does that then leave his Brotherhood and mutant refugees on Asteroid M? Does Exodus take over as the leader?

Shogo is left behind while Jubilee is playing X-Man, and its clear that Eye-Boy, Nature Girl, Husk or Monet aren't babysitting- where is he and who is caring for him?

How/why is Legion back after his 'death'?

Characterization, particularly in regards to Anole, X-23, Armor & X-Man was off by a longshot and it's as if the writers forgot their entire history as characters. They didn't read like the X-Men I know and love at all.

Frenzy is back in her old outfit, seemingly ditching her superior look she donned during Age of X and stuck with

We've no idea why so many mutants were absent from the backup enlisted by Jean & Pixie- where are Blink, Cecilia Reyes, Chamber, Danger, Dust, Hellion, Hollow, Mondo
    Mystique, Pyro, Sabretooth, Siryn, Sunspot etc.?

Extraordinary Member

Why did they bring in tge Life Seed at the last minute? A lot could have been explained had we been given a hint of it earlier.

I actually enjoyed the ending.

Not looking forward to months of alternate reality stories Though.

To be honest it feels like marvel is just spinning the wheels until the Disney/fox deal is completely cemented and Fox is done releasing movies (dark phoenix). I feel after that they will put more direction into the comics.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?