Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The BaRoN View Post
    Dane was part of one of my favourite avengers teams in the 90s

I hope he wears his leather jacket!

Him and sersi were a great pairing and with the Eternals coming as well, we might get a 90s team!
    Didn't they have him using a lightsaber as well? They had a character called The Black Knight wearing a brown leather jacket and using a lightsaber. Ugh.

I'm torn. On one hand getting Black Knight would be awesome. The problem is this is the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

I can already see a bunch of people trying to tone down the costume.

They would then get him to use a lightsaber instead of the Ebony Blade.

They would do away with the helmet because the MCU hates helmets. If you are paying for actors you have to get your money's worth.

They would do away with the flying horse because it's a flying horse, but to be fair there is a comic book reason why Dane doesn't have a flying horse.

They took Hawkeye and turned him into a boring dude who lived on a farm with a family. I shudder to think what they would do to Black Knight.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 01-25-2019 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Didn't they have him using a lightsaber as well? They had a character called The Black Knight wearing a brown leather jacket and using a lightsaber. Ugh.

I'm torn. On one hand getting Black Knight would be awesome. The problem is this is the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

They would do away with the helmet because the MCU hates helmets. If you are paying for actors you have to get your money's worth.

They would do away with the flying horse because it's a flying horse, but to be fair there is a comic book reason why Dane doesn't have a flying horse.

They took Hawkeye and turned him into a boring dude who lived on a farm with a family. I shudder to think what they would do to Black Knight.
    I think I would rather have a changed BK then no BK in the MCU. Marvel does not use him in the comics. I'm hoping that IF he gets in the MCU, they would use him in the comics. I am pretty sure though that his weapon would be the Ebony Blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post

There are a couple heroes whose faces are covered by their costimes (Ant-Man, Iron Man, Black Panther, etc), so ya never know. I'm sure even if he wears a helmet we will see plenty of his face.

As far as changing him for the MCU, I"m 100% sure that will be case. MCU heroes are seldom exact translations... I think they try to modernize from the source material while trying to keep the spirit of the characters. And they are sucessful at it to varying degrees, but either way I hope they try with Dane.

BANNED

I'd like to see Dane back, and more focus on the winged horse. I love Pegasuses.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I'd like to see Dane back, and more focus on the winged horse. I love Pegasuses.
    I honestly have never been a fan of super heroes using live animals. I'm always afraid somethings going to happen to the animal when they go into fights.

That said, a winged horse in the MCU would be kinda cool to see.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by The BaRoN View Post
    Dane was part of one of my favourite avengers teams in the 90s

I hope he wears his leather jacket!

Him and sersi were a great pairing and with the Eternals coming as well, we might get a 90s team!
    I couldn't agree more. The harras/epting run was outstanding. The Gatherers were great and I'd love to see some version of Black Knight in MCU (also with the Eternals movie on the cards you could even have the sersi/dane thing). It wouldn't bother me one way or the other if they made him a brit he spent time back in england in the past so it would be an easy and relatively painless edit so that MCU could continue to diversify. MI13 would be a cool basis for a movie and like was mentioned earlier it would cool if Far From Home introduced some element of it

Quote Originally Posted by mrjinjin View Post
    I think I would rather have a changed BK then no BK in the MCU. Marvel does not use him in the comics. I'm hoping that IF he gets in the MCU, they would use him in the comics. I am pretty sure though that his weapon would be the Ebony Blade.
    Careful what you wish for. There have been quite a few characters who ended up worse than how they where originally by being put in the MCU.

I think it would be cool to have Black Knight in the MCU but I wouldn't sacrifice his characterization for it.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Careful what you wish for. There have been quite a few characters who ended up worse than how they where originally by being put in the MCU.

I think it would be cool to have Black Knight in the MCU but I wouldn't sacrifice his characterization for it.
    If they used him in a monthly comic I would agree but since they don't I would be happy with any type of MCU appearance.

If they used him in a monthly comic I would agree but since they don't I would be happy with any type of MCU appearance.
    I get what your saying. Hopefully, If Black Knight does appear in the MCU they do him right. However, I still would hold the "be careful what you wish for" attitude. Sometimes it's better to not have something at all then to have it ruined. Truth be told the current MCU can't go on forever anyway. They have to reboot and/or start fresh at some point. I know its painful to say but sometimes it's even better just to be patient and wait for the right people to get a hold of it.

I'm just remembering how Iron Fist was handled on Netflix, in the media, in animated shows, and then in the comics. Danny Rand was my favorite character, to a degree he still is, but all that negativity, the trash stories, and the improper use of him soured me on the character a bit. It dampened my experience and love for the character to the point that I wish he wasn't used at all.

Sometimes it's better to keep the characters intact then it is to have a dark cloud hovering over them.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

I get what your saying. Hopefully, If Black Knight does appear in the MCU they do him right. However, I still would hold the "be careful what you wish for" attitude. Sometimes it's better to not have something at all then to have it ruined. Truth be told the current MCU can't go on forever anyway. They have to reboot and/or start fresh at some point. I know its painful to say but sometimes it's even better just to be patient and wait for the right people to get a hold of it.

I'm just remembering how Iron Fist was handled on Netflix, in the media, in animated shows, and then in the comics. Danny Rand was my favorite character, to a degree he still is, but all that negativity, the trash stories, and the improper use of him soured me on the character a bit. It dampened my experience and love for the character to the point that I wish he wasn't used at all.

Sometimes it's better to keep the characters intact then it is to have a dark cloud hovering over them.
    My thinking exactly. An ill-conceived, unpopular version of a character on screen might damage the character's credibility and marketability, whist a successful, popular screen version that bears little or no resemblance to the original (see Star-Lord) can effectively wipe your favourite character out. You want a version that does justice to the character you love, and hopefully to the stories you love.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
    I personally find him to be a very boring character, not a lot of personalities, lame powerset he was most interesting when he was a piece of stone.
    Have you read the Harras/Epting run of Avengers? He's really cool in that.
    I'm on Twitter! @alex_jamieson

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    My thinking exactly. An ill-conceived, unpopular version of a character on screen might damage the character's credibility and marketability, whist a successful, popular screen version that bears little or no resemblance to the original (see Star-Lord) can effectively wipe your favourite character out. You want a version that does justice to the character you love, and hopefully to the stories you love.
    I agree if the character was A-list. The Black Knight needs a new angle that would make him more popular to newer readers. For example, I thought the Weirdworld idea would be good for the character but the book was canceled after only 5 issues.

I agree if the character was A-list. The Black Knight needs a new angle that would make him more popular to newer readers. For example, I thought the Weirdworld idea would be good for the character but the book was canceled after only 5 issues.
    WeirdWorld was an ok story. But that Costume was Dope though!

I sorta feel that he , like many other Marvel characters, needs a writer who cares enough to read up on him and then BK forward to modern times. Not necessarily a new angle but a refreshed one. His original concept is mostly of being a chosen protector who is cursed to wield a power (the Ebony Blade) that threatens his vary sanity. That right there is a good hook to work off of to revitalize the character.

A writer could have BK defend the world from magical unknown threats to the world, all the while BK plays tug-a-war with his sanity. Similar to Moon Knight but more of a fantasy angle that resembles how Doctor Strange was written in the 70's/80's.

There are tons of things that can be done with the Black Knight that still suits who he is.

WeirdWorld was an ok story. But that Costume was Dope though!

I sorta feel that he , like many other Marvel characters, needs a writer who cares enough to read up on him and then BK forward to modern times. Not necessarily a new angle but a refreshed one. His original concept is mostly of being a chosen protector who is cursed to wield a power (the Ebony Blade) that threatens his vary sanity. That right there is a good hook to work off of to revitalize the character.

A writer could have BK defend the world from magical unknown threats to the world, all the while BK plays tug-a-war with his sanity. Similar to Moon Knight but more of a fantasy angle that resembles how Doctor Strange was written in the 70's/80's.

There are tons of things that can be done with the Black Knight that still suits who he is.
    I agree with you especially about bringing him to modern times. I thought Frank Tieri was a writer that portrayed Dane properly as he was trying to get a Black Knight series going since he guest starred him when he wrote some issues of New Excalibur many years ago. Paul Cornell did a great job with him in MI-13 also. Hopefully Marvel will at least find a place for him on a team soon. I hope he gets in on War of the Realms.

Spectacular Member

I think there's a really interesting story to be generated from a slightly 'forgotten' story - his role as Pendragon, introduced in Heroes for Hire, where he was destined to defend the world from some oncoming troubles.. It was his status for awhile, and when he turned up again with the Ebony Blade, there was never an explanation as to what happened to the Pendragon armour etc.

The story I have in mind would be about how Dane's addiction to the Ebony Blade has gotten in the way of his duties as Pendragon - I feel like their might be some thematic power to a man who returned to old habits rather than rising to his responsibilities.
    I'm on Twitter! @alex_jamieson