Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Was this any good cause I liked the trailers but The critics have been hard on it and even Audience scores have been Medicore. Just curious what you guys think. Right now I'm leaning toward seeing the Upside over this tuesday.
    From what I remember of the trailers, the trailers don't do the film justice. It's a pretty good movie, but the series of twists toward the end are unconventional and is likely one of the primary reasons a lot of viewers & critics were thrown off. That, and a lot of people just don't like Shyamalan's films.

I think the best movie in the trilogy is Split, with Glass coming in second, and Unbreakable third.
    Last edited by Ramsay Snow; 01-20-2019 at 10:01 PM.

Retired

I've only watched THE SIXTH SENSE, UNBREAKABLE, THE VISIT, SPLIT and GLASS. I seem to have missed all the movies that people say are bad. I don't know how that happened. But now I wonder if those other movies were really as bad as the critics have said, given they came down so hard on GLASS which I quite enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I've only watched THE SIXTH SENSE, UNBREAKABLE, THE VISIT, SPLIT and GLASS. I seem to have missed all the movies that people say are bad. I don't know how that happened. But now I wonder if those other movies were really as bad as the critics have said, given they came down so hard on GLASS which I quite enjoyed.
    Watch the happening it's that bad same with Avatar

Retired

If the movies are really bad then I don't need to watch them.

The response to GLASS from the critics has convinced me that they don't know what they're talking about. It would be one thing if the RT score was at 60%, but 35% is ridiculous. Comic book movie fans are a hard lot to please and will destroy the very thing they claim to love. I think GLASS like UNBREAKABLE commits the sin of treating comic books seriously in the real world. Fans want comic books to be taken seriously as commercial properties to exploit for entertainment, but they don't want them taken seriously as having a connection to the real world. We may think comic books have won legitimacy, but no one really seems to believe it--there's still this nervous giggling when comic books are presented as worthwhile and profound.

The black clover leaf people represent that impulse to put comic books in their place as cheap fantasy and nothing more. You can think about them as metaphors, but please don't suggest they're relevant or worthwhile. We can't have that.

Posted on the other thread-

Looks like the film was tracking $75m and breaking records but only made $40m. Still made it's budget back (due to it was cheap to make at only $20m however not sure of ad and promotion cost) but word of mouth really hurt it. Next week will be the real test on if it has legs.

Early tracking

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-f...eekend-a165533

Box office. Note that dragonball has more news and is getting talked about more then glass!

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4477&p=.htm

Word of mouth did hurt this film. From $75m to $40m is a big drop on tracking.

Mighty Member

Did you notice she was looking at an issue of Mike Mignola's BPRD at the comic store?

and an amazing bit of trivia I've cut n'pasted from IMDB : When Casey (Anya Taylor-Joy) is doing her comic book research she asks the teller about its history. He points out Action Comics #1 whose cover classically portrays Superman holding a motor vehicle over his head, shaking the crooks out of it. In this film, Mr. Glass (Samuel L. Jackson) refers to the finale as not a Limited Edition, but an "origin story" before his demise. We then learn his master plan was to kickstart the real world comic book universe himself. And thus the final image of the film is the masses at the train station watching The Beast (James McAvoy) lifting a police car up to remove the cops therein. The same image that kicked off the world of comics so too reveals the "Unbreakable" universe to the "real" world. :O !!!!!