Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Coincidentally, I think that Death, Knighftall, AND Emerald Twilight are absolutely great, but then again, I am very much a 90s kid and these events defined DC comics for me.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    I only ask because I just recently read the entire Death/Return of Superman run and I really loved it. I held off on it for years because I heard it was crap but once I read it I loved it. People say a movie or a book is like a roller coaster a lot of the time but for this story I really think it is. The way it starts off crazy then slows down then get really crazy then slows down. Some people may not like that but I had an absolute blast reading it.
    Death of Superman even featured an interesting narrative trick: every issue had the same number of panels per page, counting down until the "Death" issue which was all splash pages.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    And I really loved Hunter Prey but I wish Darkseid and Doomsday fought to a standstill instead of Doomsday getting the victory. That's only because I'm a Darkseid fanboy though
    Hunter/Prey was incredible, especially how it explored Clark struggling with his mortality.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Hunter/Prey was incredible, especially how it explored Clark struggling with his mortality.
    There's something about making Doomsday his boogeyman that he was afraid of as a kid that's really interesting.

I liked Death of Superman and Knightsfall but loved the stories they spawned with Funeral for a Friend, Reign of Supermen, Knightsquest, and Knightsend.

I liked Death Of Superman but hated Knightfall.

Empty is thy hand!

Death of Superman is one of the first stories that made me seriously start collecting comics, although I don't own all those issues and have never read the whole thing. I know the audiobook is excellent!

Knightfall is pretty decent, but the "extreme" issues with Jean-Paul as Batman are junk (purposeful to highlight the difference or not) and the Bruce Wayne rehab stuff is clunky, so I appreciate it more for its historical significance than its great storytelling.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I liked Knightfall quite a bit. Knightquest started out ok but got too "90s" by the end with that beyond ugly suit. Knightsend was ok, but what I really liked was the Prodigal story where Dick Grayson takes on the mantle of Batman for a while after Bruce returns. I loved seeing Dick and Tim working together.

Retired

These event broke me, in that I was buying so many comics each month that a huge part of my paycheque was going toward comic books. And the truth is, I got so far behind in reading them, that I only read maybe half of the comics I was buying--and I still haven't gotten around to reading most of those unread comics. I'm pretty sure I bought all the Knightfall/Knightquest etc. comics, but I didn't read the bulk of them and I would flip through some issues and read enough to know what was going on in the comics, but I still haven't read the whole big thing and maybe never will.

I liked that story better when it was one story in THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD 100.

I did manage to read all of the Death of Superman/Funeral for a Friend/Reign of the Supermen comics--so I guess I enjoyed that more. But with one big caveat, I hated Doomsday. I hated Doomsday much more than Bane. I didn't like Doomsday because it was just some big dumb beast (and who names a guy Doomsday, that's silly) that was only created for the purpose of killing Superman. I hate everything about the ugly tooth monster. Now if Lex Luthor had created the Galactic Golem to kill Superman--that would be different--because, while the beast would be the instrument of Superman's death, it would actually be one of his long established foes that was truly responsible.

Both these events required me to buy so much paper that I felt guilty for the environmental damage I was causing. And I soon decided that this was wrong and I should be more thoughtful about how much I consume. So those events really pushed me into giving up a lot of comic books thereafter.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I don't like either.

Bane is a cool villain though.

i did both, more than emerald twilight...

I liked them at the time, but moreso with Death of Superman I hate what's it come to represent and how tied at the hip it continues to be for the character.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I loved em both. Death of Superman got better as it went along. Knightfall started great and got weaker as it went. I’d probably call them 2 of the best out of all the huge 90s crossovers.

Reign of the Supermen and the first act of Knightfall are my favorite parts.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    i did both, more than emerald twilight...
    The difference was the Superman & Batman offices had more time on their hands.
    Emerald Night and Green Lantern #50 was going to be a MUCH different story than what we finally got.
    But TPTB deemed the changes weren't radical enough and brought in Ron Marz.
    That's why there's SUCH a difference in Hal between issues #47 and #48.
    Hal teams up with Ollie and seems just fine, then come the very next issue he's in the epicentre of Coast City and going renegade.
    It wasn't the writer's fault. They were given a mandate that by #50 everything was to be new.
    And I love Kyle, but it would have been a LOT easier on everyone if they'd given us a few issues and showing Hal slowly beginning to descend into depression before going completely bonkers.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Funnily enough, fairly recently I reread all three oversized trades of the Knightfall saga and it made me really nostalgic for the comics of yesteryear. Yeah it went off at a few tangents here and there but all in all I think it's a pretty solid example of epic comic book storytelling.
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label