Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

I'm reading again Knightfall and i'm enjoying it now even more than in 90's.

Absolutely great storytelling, depth of characters, great art.
    Problem is that after reading this, I realize how poor most of the books published today are.

Love them both, as well as the Emerald Twilight story where Hal got written out and Kyle became the one and only Green Lantern. These are the stories that---after years of being a Marvel Zombie---finally got me to take a serious look at DC's comics. And decades years later, I'm still reading DC Comics now. So yes, these stories will always be favorites of mine and hold a special place in my heart as a DC fan, critics be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    The difference was the Superman & Batman offices had more time on their hands.
    Emerald Night and Green Lantern #50 was going to be a MUCH different story than what we finally got.
    But TPTB deemed the changes weren't radical enough and brought in Ron Marz.
    That's why there's SUCH a difference in Hal between issues #47 and #48.
    Hal teams up with Ollie and seems just fine, then come the very next issue he's in the epicentre of Coast City and going renegade.
    It wasn't the writer's fault. They were given a mandate that by #50 everything was to be new.
    And I love Kyle, but it would have been a LOT easier on everyone if they'd given us a few issues and showing Hal slowly beginning to descend into depression before going completely bonkers.
    i remember the ads soliciting a different intended story for green lantern #50. i think it was a civil war of sorts between the guardians, and leads to to the lantern corps.

i wonder if dc has that story finished and is locked in a vault (or cabinet) somewhere.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    i remember the ads soliciting a different intended story for green lantern #50. i think it was a civil war of sorts between the guardians, and leads to to the lantern corps.

i wonder if dc has that story finished and is locked in a vault (or cabinet) somewhere.
    Even if they did have the completed story, given that Gerard Jones is now in prison it's highly unlikely to ever be published.

I spent today reading the complete Death Of Superman (I read the complete Knightfall the other week) and boy is it an epic!

YES. I do like them. A lot. A perfect time capsule of the comics I grew up with - and great fun to revisit in middle age!
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

No.

No I do not.

I find them laughably bad.

EDIT: Totally forgot, but Superman #75 was the comic that got 12 year old me to ditch comics ("F**k this!") :P Didn't go again until Spideys Clone Saga started up. Those few years in all were very formative.
    Last edited by _Feely_; 02-16-2019 at 05:14 PM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Even if they did have the completed story, given that Gerard Jones is now in prison it's highly unlikely to ever be published.
    Yeah. Kinda horrible actually. Shows talented people can still be monsters.
    I also don't think there was any artwork done for those issues (other than the promo art). I seem to remember reading an article about how quickly they had to get those issues finished.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

These two stories are representative of the only time in my life I actually got too bored by DC Comics to buy them for a while. Happily Morrison's JLA brought me back.