View Poll Results: What did you think of Wonder Woman #62?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

3 12.00%
  • ★★★★

9 36.00%
  • ★★★

9 36.00%
  • ★★

2 8.00%
  • 2 8.00%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman #62 The Just War - Conclusion and Spoilers

No thread yet? Where's Nyssane?

It's the final showdown between Ares and Diana as she protects the prime minister of Durovnia from the rage of Ares. Ares manages to take the lasso from Diana, but Diana manages to reclaim it and school Ares in the ways of its use. Diana finally manages to hit Ares hard enough to make him pay attention, and Aphrodite uses that opening to talk some sense into Ares, but we don't get to read her punchline. Apparently, that was only for the gods.

Some sort of ceasefire between the government and the rebels is reached, to be followed by proper peace negotiations and possibly a separation. As a condition of that treaty, all the gods and their attendants must leave Durovnia, and that includes Diana.

Ares intends to leave on a quest to find Athena, and tasks Diana to complete it if he should fail. Diana finally takes her leave of a recovering Etta Candy (and a Steve who finally has managed to find a new shirt) and asks the sky if her mother and Themyscira is still safe.

Xermanico's art is good throughout, with a really menacing Ares, and a Diana who can be both decisive and strong, but also can show vulnerability when the script calls for it. The action is short and decisive, but I think Wilson overuses the use of grunts and other vocalised sound effects. The fight between Diana and Ares has no less than seven such, and that's at least five too many.

I felt this opening arc raised some good questions, but the question about the impact on the common people and civilians when gods or superpowers fight that was raised by the end of the Durovnian conflict felt a bit unbuilt. It was probably because we had seen so few of these common people yet in the story. We saw them rescued at times, but not much and they never received the focus or a voice.

I also miss the happy and fun Etta. The Etta we get here is a lot more somber, though I'm glad she's not the Amanda Waller-lite Etta that we got in #58.

Astonishing Member

Well, I read the issue.I don't know how to feel about this. The resolution of the arc feels rushed.

I like Aphrodite speaking with Ares. I'm curious what she says him at the end.
    Last edited by Konja7; 01-17-2019 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Well, I read the issue.I don't know how to feel about this. The resolution of the arc feels rushed.
    I think we should not read this is as an arc per se, but rather perhaps as an overture or prologue: it sets the tone for the rest of the story and introduces the themes and questions that will be worked over and explored more in the future story. I do think there is a rushed element to the ending, but more than that I think it feels like that becuase it is not meant as a resolution.

So I expect we will see more about the relation between war, peace, and justice; refugees and displacement; and the role/purpose of love in coming issues.

Sorry! I've been super busy lately. Thanks for creating the thread kjn!

I did read the issue and... I didn't love it. I don't know, it felt like something was missing. There were some great moments for Diana, as well as Ares and Aphrodite, but as a whole I just wasn't completely satisfied with the conclusion to this arc. But I'm optimistic for future story arcs nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Sorry! I've been super busy lately. Thanks for creating the thread kjn!

I did read the issue and... I didn't love it. I don't know, it felt like something was missing. There were some great moments for Diana, as well as Ares and Aphrodite, but as a whole I just wasn't completely satisfied with the conclusion to this arc. But I'm optimistic for future story arcs nonetheless.
    No problem, we're just used to you creating them!

I think not being satisfied with the conclusion here is an eminently sensible reaction, partly because it's not really a conclusion (as I described in my prior post), partly because Diana isn't satisfied with what she had managed to achieve.

Well, I liked it a lot for specific reasons, but I'm totally with you, kjn. The discussion felt unbuilt. The whole arc did feel anticlimactic, to be honest. A good prologue for what's to come though.

What I liked: this was the best issue for Diana yet. She had a voice, FINALLY! I really loved when she talked about the lasso, and her inner thoughts felt more natural. I even got emotional at the end (and a big part of that is Xermanico's amazing art. It's so balanced regarding Diana. I'm truly impressed). Although... I'm not sure how I feel about Diana calling Ares "folly". Is that okay for you guys? English is not my first language so I'm not sure about some cultural subtleties.

It is also clear that Wilson has something to say about contemporary war and the role of the United States (the "god" among countries) here. Diana being asked to leave a country she tried to help? That was fresh. It reminded me of some discussions about Spirit of Truth. And I feel Diana questioning herself worked much better here.

I don't know. I really liked it. I liked Aphrodite again and I'm glad she's following Diana.

The arc was a slow start, but I like it enough to keep excited.

It was an okay ending, but the 2nd world politics doesn't make for good story telling. Everything is so vague you can't really gleam anything meaningful from the plot thread, other than something cliche like peace is good.

I liked the part where Wonder Woman necked Ares though.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    It was an okay ending, but the 2nd world politics doesn't make for good story telling. Everything is so vague you can't really gleam anything meaningful from the plot thread, other than something cliche like peace is good.

I liked the part where Wonder Woman necked Ares though.
    Has anyone told you just might have too much of an obsession with this stuff?

It was okay. I read it following the thread here about WW's feats, so when Aphrodite stepped in and interrupted the fight it felt like a cop out to end the conflict in a stalemate. Unsatisfying and anticlimactic are words already used to describe it and they're very appropriate.

While I liked Diana's voice and version of proper soldiering, what she said about the lasso as a weapon was confusing to me. There are definite ends to any rope and if she meant the loop of the lasso alone, it has an end at the knot, it's not continuous no matter how long it may be.

Also Elvis said it best, but I'm going to need a little less conversation and a little more action.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    It was okay. I read it following the thread here about WW's feats, so when Aphrodite stepped in and interrupted the fight it felt like a cop out to end the conflict in a stalemate. Unsatisfying and anticlimactic are words already used to describe it and they're very appropriate.

While I liked Diana's voice and version of proper soldiering, what she said about the lasso as a weapon was confusing to me. There are definite ends to any rope and if she meant the loop of the lasso alone, it has an end at the knot, it's not continuous no matter how long it may be.

Also Elvis said it best, but I'm going to need a little less conversation and a little more action.
    Somebody would think that this shouldn't be too much to ask. In a book about an amazon Goddess that fights Avatars and Gods all the time. Yet they find a way to make the action, the adventure. The least interesting parts. And the most underhelming parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Has anyone told you just might have too much of an obsession with this stuff?
    I wasn't like this before Man of Steel . Once, I was watching Jessica Jones with my mom and when Ms. Jones necked the Purple Dude I cried out, "Mom! She just Man of Murdered that guy!" To which she responded, "I knew you were going to say that."

It was an ok ending. Nothing really stood out for me writing-wise, I agree that it felt like a "prequel" to the actual real run. I guess Wilson is going to make finding the gods the underlying story of her run. I hope she can write a good Athena, it's been far too long since Athena and Diana have interacted. Man the art is so much better though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I wasn't like this before Man of Steel . Once, I was watching Jessica Jones with my mom and when Ms. Jones necked the Purple Dude I cried out, "Mom! She just Man of Murdered that guy!" To which she responded, "I knew you were going to say that."
    Heh it's funny because before that movie WW was the one everyone associated with snapping necks because of Max Lord. But now Man of Murder has given that attribute to Supes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Heh it's funny because before that movie WW was the one everyone associated with snapping necks because of Max Lord. But now Man of Murder has given that attribute to Supes.
    Hopefully Wonder Woman 1984 will rectify that.

Mighty Member

I read it and I thought it was ok. Has GWW mentioned any plans on using her non Greek myth villains?

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
    I read it and I thought it was ok. Has GWW mentioned any plans on using her non Greek myth villains?
    Veronica Cale and Giganta are on the horizon, but their appearences will be related to mythological figures as well.