View Poll Results: What did you think of Wonder Woman #62?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

3 12.00%
  • ★★★★

9 36.00%
  • ★★★

9 36.00%
  • ★★

2 8.00%
  • 2 8.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

i was planning on dropping Wonder Woman (again) when the first couple issues failed to interest me, but Xermanico's art was so damned good that I stuck around till the end.

This was not a great start, but if I might stick around for more of Xermanico's Diana because that's worth the price of admission alone. Wow.
    Wonder Woman (2016-) 062-008.jpg

I gave this issue four stars as it's moving Diana forward and GWW's handle on Diana's voice and character keeps getting stronger. I agree that this arc seems more prologue-ish, but I enjoyed it the most out of all the issues thus far.

The changed nature of the gods and their secrets continue to be what I'm finding most interesting in the title. If we have to have the gods as part of the title, at least they're being handled interestingly and more "human" within their superhumanness and I'm finding that compelling. This is the most self-reflective of his nature and what that means that Ares has been in a long while and we've barely scratched the surface of Aphrodite in any modern stories.

If we continue down this path of the mystery of the gods' Rebirth unfolding in parallel with appearances and character studies and plots and adventures with Wonder Woman's costumed foes, I think I'll be a happy reader. It'll build a portion of the Wonder Woman tapestry and world I've always wanted to see and read get interwoven.

Nice to see Aphrodite will be hanging around as part of the entourage as a guide of sorts and as I mentioned in my comments about the last issue, I'm thrilled Diana appears to be ready to find her way home soon.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I gave it three stars, would probably give it somewhere between 3 and 4.
    Overall, a solid first arc that got stronger towards the end. I'm glad it's over though, because I'm eager to get to the issues where Wilson said she started to get into her groove. Even so, the plots she is setting up are very interesting and I'm on board for the long haul.

It's not a big thing, but I like that Ares only referred to Diana as "Daughter of Hippolyta" or "Daughter of Women." no mention of Zeus at all. I'm not as bothered by the demigod origin as I used to be, but taking a break from Zeus is always good.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    If we continue down this path of the mystery of the gods' Rebirth unfolding in parallel with appearances and character studies and plots and adventures with Wonder Woman's costumed foes, I think I'll be a happy reader. It'll build a portion of the Wonder Woman tapestry and world I've always wanted to see and read get interwoven.
    Yeah, re-introducing the Gods/mythological creatures in new and exciting ways while also having it happen at the same time the mortal foes are being re-introduced is one of the best premises for a run we've seen on this title in a while. The actual execution remains to be seen, but I love Wilson for just having the Veronica Cale/Nemesis and Giganta/Titans ideas. I can't wait for the April solicits to see who is popping up next.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    It was okay. I read it following the thread here about WW's feats, so when Aphrodite stepped in and interrupted the fight it felt like a cop out to end the conflict in a stalemate. Unsatisfying and anticlimactic are words already used to describe it and they're very appropriate.

While I liked Diana's voice and version of proper soldiering, what she said about the lasso as a weapon was confusing to me. There are definite ends to any rope and if she meant the loop of the lasso alone, it has an end at the knot, it's not continuous no matter how long it may be.

Also Elvis said it best, but I'm going to need a little less conversation and a little more action.
    Or a balance of both

I gave it three stars. The art was good and parts of the story and writing resonated.

Diana left confused at the end didn’t quite work for me. Wilson, like many people taking up the title, begins by writing a Diana who seems more fresh off the boat than someone who’s been doing this for years. She plays no active role in the peace settlement, and in the end the fight between her and Ares was completely unnecessary.

In fact, looking at it now you have to wonder WHY Aphrodite told Steve that only Diana can stop Ares, when she did it herself with a few sentences.

Not a big fan of Etta the perpetual lecturer, but Diana’s inner monologue was good, as was her speech about the lasso. Still, she went to the sword. Hmmm.

And we still don’t see much of Wonder a Woman’s physical strength. Her skills here are impressive, but if you read this issue in isolation her power level could just as easily be in Spider-Man’s range rather than Thor’s.

But yeah, a 3 to finish for the sake of optimism. Overall I would give the whole arc a 2, but this was a bit more promising than that.
    Last edited by brettc1; 01-19-2019 at 02:39 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Or a balance of both

I gave it three stars. The art was good and parts of the story and writing resonated.

Diana left confused at the end didn’t quite work for me. Wilson, like many people taking up the title, begins by writing a Diana who seems more fresh off the boat than someone who’s been doing this for years. She plays no active role in the peace settlement, and in the end the fight between her and Ares was completely unnecessary.

In fact, looking at it now you have to wonder WHY Aphrodite told Steve that only Diana can stop Ares, when she did it herself with a few sentences.

Not a big fan of Etta the perpetual lecturer, but Diana’s inner monologue was good, as was her speech about the lasso. Still, she went to the sword. Hmmm.

And we still don’t see much of Wonder a Woman’s physical strength. Her skills here are impressive, but if you read this issue in isolation her power level could just as easily be in Spider-Man’s range rather than Thor’s.

But yeah, a 3 to finish for the sake of optimism. Overall I would give the whole arc a 2, but this was a bit more promising than that.
    Well, power wise she is spiderman level with flight in this run. What did she do this whole arc that spider-man can't replicate?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    Well, power wise she is spiderman level with flight in this run. What did she do this whole arc that spider-man can't replicate?
    In the whole run she is a bit stronger than that. Stopping the plane mid air is up at Iron Man’s level, as was deflecting the missile (with help).

But I get the feeling if This were a Superman or Thor comic, Ares’ axe slam would have sent the hero through a building or two, not just knocked them around.

This is one reason I’m not a big fan of the sword. It demonstrates finesse but it rarely communicates Diana’s physical power. Luke Skywalker can do pretty much the same things with a light sabre, but you know he can’t also bench press a battle ship.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

In the whole run she is a bit stronger than that. Stopping the plane mid air is up at Iron Man’s level, as was deflecting the missile (with help).

But I get the feeling if This were a Superman or Thor comic, Ares’ axe slam would have sent the hero through a building or two, not just knocked them around.

This is one reason I’m not a big fan of the sword. It demonstrates finesse but it rarely communicates Diana’s physical power. Luke Skywalker can do pretty much the same things with a light sabre, but you know he can’t also bench press a battle ship.
    I'm sure Ironman has better feats than that actually.

How much does a plane like that weight? Spiderman has been seen lifting tanks that usually weight 50 tons.

I don't want to sound annoying. But it's very frustrating for me as a fan.

If it's of any consolation, current thor is far from impressive.

I don't want any of you guys to hold your breath expecting much better. I learned the hard way. Nothing suggests that this run will give us a powerhouse WW again. Since 2011. Her feats are not great most of the time. And a majority of her better feats have happened outside her title. Like here. Rebirth Wonder Woman redirects a misile easily on her own in a green arrow comic.

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads...en+arrow17.png

When some writers are"generous" enough to remember she is there too and should have something to do. Sometimes we get some feats.
    Last edited by starlight25; 01-19-2019 at 03:22 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    I'm sure Ironman has better feats than that actually.

How much does a plane like that weight? Spiderman has been seen lifting tanks that usually weight 50 tons.

I don't want to sound annoying. But it's very frustrating for me as a fan.

If it's of any consolation, current thor is far from impressive.

I don't want any of you guys to hold your breath expecting much better. I learned the hard way. Nothing suggests that this run will give us a powerhouse WW again. Since 2011. Her feats are not great most of the time. And a majority of her better feats have happened outside her title. Like here. Rebirth Wonder Woman redirects a misile easily on her own in a green arrow comic.

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads...en+arrow17.png

When some writers are"generous" enough to remember she is there too and should have something to do. Sometimes we get some feats.
    Mmm. I note that missile was a good deal smaller, but still impressive speed catching it.

Back on this run, Ares is allowed to walk after blowing up a little boy and his family.

BANNED

Mmm. I note that missile was a good deal smaller, but still impressive speed catching it.

Back on this run, Ares is allowed to walk after blowing up a little boy and his family.

Maybe but still. If we go by feats, ironam can do everything she has done in this arc and even more.

Honestly i don't know why use the Gods if they will be portrayed as weak as WW.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Overall, a solid first arc that got stronger towards the end. I'm glad it's over though, because I'm eager to get to the issues where Wilson said she started to get into her groove. Even so, the plots she is setting up are very interesting and I'm on board for the long haul.

It's not a big thing, but I like that Ares only referred to Diana as "Daughter of Hippolyta" or "Daughter of Women." no mention of Zeus at all. I'm not as bothered by the demigod origin as I used to be, but taking a break from Zeus is always good.
    Wilson avoided talking about the origin but she told how important it is for Diana to have her background set in a motherhood based society. I guess we won't see the dad Zeus thing mentioned for some good months

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

Ares had already referred to her as “kin” in a previous issue when they met on more friendly terms.

So my guess here is Wilson has Ares cute her “mortal” parentage and upbringing as him (Ares) seeing it as a defect.

Ares had already referred to her as “kin” in a previous issue when they met on more friendly terms.

So my guess here is Wilson has Ares cute her “mortal” parentage and upbringing as him (Ares) seeing it as a defect.
    Note that according to the original Greek myths, the Amazons (including Hippolyta) was a daughter to Ares. So one can make a case that Diana is Ares's granddaughter!

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Note that according to the original Greek myths, the Amazons (including Hippolyta) was a daughter to Ares. So one can make a case that Diana is Ares's granddaughter!
    How nice!

I like how Vague Diana's universe is that we can put anything and it make sense.
    Also so much incest.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    That's according to Rucka's Rebirth issues too. If I recall correctly Ares being Hippolyta's literal father was referenced in the mod era. To me that's preferable to the daughter of Zeus origin if Diana must be part Olympian.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    How nice!

I like how Vague Diana's universe is that we can put anything and it make sense.
    Also so much incest.
    Luckily, the goddess Harmonia—daughter of Ares and Aphrodite—and the nymph Harmonia—mother of the Amazons with Ares—appears to be different beings.

Not that it'd stop the Olympian gods. Zeus fathered Persephone on his sister Demeter, and then fathered Zagreus on Persephone. Zeus is thus father, grandfather, and great-uncle to Zagreus. And he conspired with Hades on Persephone's abduction. How anyone wants to have that guy as Diana's father leaves me boggled.