Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I hate that I can't watch it because it's not on Netflix in the U.S. and I refuse to pay $75 a year for a DC streaming service that I'm not sure I'd use that much outside of TITANS.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I had the worry intially too. But after signing up, I got to not only watch Titans but I've been binging the Constantine show (I never saw this before), Lois & Clark, 90's Flash, Young Justice (also never saw this) and I've been having a blast. Of course, if you already own all these or have seen them, then the value is different lol

I own a lot of the content on there on DVD, but I'm enjoying the convenience of streaming it wherever I am without digging out the dusty old discs. Lots of new content coming this year though, so I hope they give you a reason to sign up Buried! It's a young service, but I think it has loads of potential (it just needs to be on more devices).
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    I disagree that Titans is aimed for a younger audience. Even at 14 I was pretty shaken by a lot of the early Wolfman Perez stuff and Johns took on serious plots that I probably wouldn't rec for kids even though you could consider that run "lighter."
    They're the Teen Titans, the book was meant for teens and up, as in adolescents who can handle more mature stories but still with youthful undertones
    Yeah but the Wolfman Perez stuff didn't feel forced.

nope. Really liking it so far. And if it does look cheap, then there is not a single comic book show who doesn't.

I thought it was okay, but it had a lot of problems.

I liked the actor for Dick and I think he did a really good job for what he had to work with. I had some problems with this version of the character, like the obsessive focus on the Batman fallout and I do wish he was a bit lighter in tone, but I can picture the character working so much better with just a few changes. I think the big problem with the show was Raven, Starfire and Beast Boy. The other 3 leads. I didn't feel like they or their stories worked, especially the big Trigon story. They felt like the weakest part of the show to me.

The best parts of the show were the guest stars which highlighted how weak the leads felt. Like Hawk and Dove (huge surprise to me) or especially Donna were great. Even the Doom Patrol episode or Jason Todd a little were entertaining. Most of these guests worked well in regards to Dick's character too which is why I can see Dick's character working so much better with slight changes.

I have only seen the first two episodes so far but I really liked the Hawk and Dove episode. The first one, not so much.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

I was on the fence at first, then I realized that I had to change my point of view.
    Live it like an Elseworld without necessarily wanting to respect the origins of the characters.
    From that moment I started to really appreciate the series, I even loved Hawk & Dove that I never suffered in comics.
    I find that characters have grasped their core essence.
    I love this series and I can not wait for it to start again.

Many of you seem to disagree with me that Teen Titans is kid friendly. Hmm... I wouldn't mind my kids reading the Wolfman run. Read it myself when I was younger... I certainly don't recall thinking it was too dark back then. Maybe I'm remembering things wrong.
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    The best parts of the show were the guest stars which highlighted how weak the leads felt. Like Hawk and Dove (huge surprise to me) or especially Donna were great.
    Hawk and Dove were a huge surprise to me, because I care not a bit for the comic book versions of them, and these characters (and the actors portraying them) were awesome.

Even the Doom Patrol episode or Jason Todd a little were entertaining.
    Jason Todd was perfectly cast. Ten minutes after he appeared on screen, *I* wanted to beat him to death with a crowbar.

I'd say that the beginning of the Wolfman run was definitely kid/young teen friendly, even if it got more mature over time.

Personally I enjoyed Titans and even though it is brutal I was surprised to see that Black Lightning isn't far behind. BL's brutality is inscenated a bit differently but I can see Titans toning it down to the same level once the Titans get more secure and Dick less angry.

The thing they should have definitely known how to do better is the ending of season 1, which just wasn't an ending.

As a long time Starfire fan I was very, very, skeptical but ended up loving Anna Diop's portrayal to the point where it carried to whole show for me. But it didn't have to, because I loved everything else as well. Doom Patrol or Hawk & Dove weren't really interesting until Titans showed them a new light and Donna Troy, WOW!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Yeah but the Wolfman Perez stuff didn't feel forced.
    never said it did guy

At first, yes. The first couple of episodes with the grimdark portrayal, making BvS Batman look like Adam West Batman, was rather off putting. But when they started to not be so dark, it got better.

But the actress playing Raven is about 14. And the show is trying to set up BBRae. But the actor that plays Gar is in his mid-20s. SO no feeling the aster there.

Can’t say I hate it, but I can;t bring myself to watch it. Everything sounds too dark, and while I may have liked these characters thirty years ago, i’m Not really interested in them anymore. Maybe i’ll Watch next season, to see where the superbly story goes.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    As a long time Starfire fan I was very, very, skeptical but ended up loving Anna Diop's portrayal to the point where it carried to whole show for me. But it didn't have to, because I loved everything else as well. Doom Patrol or Hawk & Dove weren't really interesting until Titans showed them a new light and Donna Troy, WOW!
    Taking into consideration that we live in a generation where Tony Stark, who was never a joker in the comics before, is exactly a joker in the MCU (and quickly turning into one in the comics, as well...), and Aquaman, who is hardly a Dothraki Conan surf-bro in the comics is exactly a Dothraki Conan surf-bro on the big-screen (and they are both *awesome* despite being little or nothing like the previous comic-book interpretations of the characters they are based on), then the Titans TV show is just following the trend. Anna Diop's Starfire is no more or less *that* Starfire than the bubbly quirky one from Teen Titans Go. But she is *a* Starfire, and I was also really impressed with her acting chops and her Starfire was easily the most dynamic (and colorful!) character of the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Taking into consideration that we live in a generation where Tony Stark, who was never a joker in the comics before, is exactly a joker in the MCU (and quickly turning into one in the comics, as well...), and Aquaman, who is hardly a Dothraki Conan surf-bro in the comics is exactly a Dothraki Conan surf-bro on the big-screen (and they are both *awesome* despite being little or nothing like the previous comic-book interpretations of the characters they are based on), then the Titans TV show is just following the trend. Anna Diop's Starfire is no more or less *that* Starfire than the bubbly quirky one from Teen Titans Go. But she is *a* Starfire, and I was also really impressed with her acting chops and her Starfire was easily the most dynamic (and colorful!) character of the lot.
    That's how I look at it too.